Subira Subira by Tololwa M. Mollel

Subira Subira

by Tololwa M. Mollel

Other authors: Linda Saport (Illustrator)

This book showed me a little of a culture, as well as how patience really is a virtue. I love the cultural part of this book because it teaches me that no matter what culture someone is from, things are still similar to other cultures. The illustrations are so light and warm, which adds to the great story. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 16, 2014 |
I liked this story though I wonder why so much weight was put on the girl's shoulders. I understand tough times for families, but it seemed like this was a bit much for this girl. I wish the father in the story had taken better control of the young boy. The young boy was being obnoxious and intolerable and yet it seemed that the sister had to solve problem rather than the adult using wisdom and patience to solve everything. It turned out that it was quite a learning experience for the girl, but it seemed that the wrong person came up with the solution in this case. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Adapted African folktale about a motherless daughter trying to help her misbehaving brother. She seeks the help of a wise-woman who sets her on a task to get 3 whiskers from a lion. She learns that the ability to help her brother is found within herself. Things progress as she approaches her brother as she did the lion. ( )
  Scottid | May 15, 2013 |
I love both the message and the illustrations in this book. I love that even though there is a magical element to the story, the ultimate solution to the problem lies within Tatu and her natural abilities. I also like how the book provides definitions and a song at the end. I thought it was really interesting and what I assume to be cultural realistic that snuff was included in the story.
  BKPietz | Nov 25, 2011 |
Subira Subira is an amazing African Folk tale that has amazing pictures and a great storyline. The two main characters are a sister and a brother who go about their lives together and the younger brother doesn't listen to her. The sister goes to a mystical woman, that sends her on a task and she learns from what she has to do with the lion to do with her brother to get him to listen and behave correctly.

I would use this book with my students to have them do a writing piece on their family and their relationships with them.
  Jenny_Laura | Oct 5, 2008 |

Tololwa M. Mollelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saport, LindaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039591809X, Hardcover)

When Tatu finds she can do nothing to improve her little brother's hateful behavior and make him happy again, she goes to an old spirit woman for help. The spirit woman tells Tatu that to cure Maulidi, she must pluck three whiskers from a lion! Armed only with a song, Tatu steals out into the moonlit night to undertake her impossible task. Acclaimed storyteller Tololwa M. Mollel sets his satisfying retelling of a traditional folktale in contemporary Tanzania, beautifully depicted in Linda Saport's lush illustrations. An author's note and the music for Tatu's song follow the story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:58 -0400)

Set in contemporary Tanzania, this variation on a traditional tale describes how a young girl learns a lesson in patience when a spirit woman sends her to get three whiskers from a lion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,048,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible