The First Strawberries: A Cherokee Story by…

The First Strawberries: A Cherokee Story

by Joseph Bruchac

A simple story about respect and gifts given to us by earth.

CC: Teach about the Cherokee people or learn more about strawberries and all the products produced from strawberries.
  jeziorskij | Feb 1, 2016 |
My personal response to the book: Excellent
Curricular connections: Counseling and how we treat others
  West_Elementary | Jan 20, 2016 |
According to this Cherokee story, there was a moment when the world was totally new. The creator made at the same time a man and a woman, in this way no one would be lonesome. They got married and they lived happy for a long time. The sun is a supernatural element that looks what happens in the new the earth and observes the interactions between the first woman and the first man ( )
  gabbond | Dec 2, 2015 |
Summary- This story is about a Cherokee tale of a couple fighting over what to cook for dinner. The sun helps them work together and compromise on what to make. They couple share strawberries with each other.
Personal Reaction- I liked this story. I was a very well written. I think that It is important to know about the native American culture and this helps kids hear some of the tales that the Cherokee tribe has. Where I live, there are a lot of Native Americans, and I think it is import for the students to know about them.
Classroom Extension. I would evolve this book with a lesson over Native Americans.
1.“Indian Princess” I have a friend who is a Cherokee Princess and I would bring her into my classroom dressed in her full costume and have her dance and talk in their native tongue. I would also allow the students to ask her any questions about her culture.
2.“ What to make for dinner” Have the kids write a short paragraph about what they would make for dinner if they were this couple
  Sarah0423 | Mar 26, 2015 |
A story about a Native American man & woman who start off by getting into a "squabble". The woman leaves & along with some help from the sun, the man is able to catch up with her since she stopped to eat some strawberries after passing up the blueberries, blackberries, etc. ( )
  shane54 | Feb 24, 2015 |
For my Tsalagi friends and teachers-Wado! J.B.
To Roland A.V.
Long ago when the world was new, the Creator made a man and a woman.

From an award-winning Native American storyteller comes this captivating re-telling of a Cherokee legend, which explains how strawberries came to be. Long ago, the first man and woman quarrelled. The woman left in anger, but the Sun sent tempting berries to Earth to slow the wife?s retreat. Luminous paintings perfectly complement the simple, lyrical text. ?Complete harmony of text and pictures: altogether lovely.? -- Kirkus Reviews, pointer review Joseph Bruchac is an award-winning storyteller whose books for children include Eagle Song, Children of the Longhouse, and Arrow to the Sun (all Dial). He lives in Greenfield Center, New York. Anna Vojtech lives in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A quarrel between the first man and the first woman is reconciled when the Sun causes strawberries to grow out of the earth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible