The First Strawberries: A Cherokee Story by…

The First Strawberries: A Cherokee Story

by Joseph Bruchac

Summary- This story is about a Cherokee tale of a couple fighting over what to cook for dinner. The sun helps them work together and compromise on what to make. They couple share strawberries with each other.
Personal Reaction- I liked this story. I was a very well written. I think that It is important to know about the native American culture and this helps kids hear some of the tales that the Cherokee tribe has. Where I live, there are a lot of Native Americans, and I think it is import for the students to know about them.
Classroom Extension. I would evolve this book with a lesson over Native Americans.
1.“Indian Princess” I have a friend who is a Cherokee Princess and I would bring her into my classroom dressed in her full costume and have her dance and talk in their native tongue. I would also allow the students to ask her any questions about her culture.
2.“ What to make for dinner” Have the kids write a short paragraph about what they would make for dinner if they were this couple
  Sarah0423 | Mar 26, 2015 |
A story about a Native American man & woman who start off by getting into a "squabble". The woman leaves & along with some help from the sun, the man is able to catch up with her since she stopped to eat some strawberries after passing up the blueberries, blackberries, etc. ( )
  shane54 | Feb 24, 2015 |
A sweet and simple tale about how strawberries came to exist. After being spoken unkindly to by her husband, the woman leaves. Truly sorry for being unkind, the man searches for his wife with the help of the sun. To get her attention, the sun’s rays cause beautiful sweet strawberries to bloom. Taken by their beauty and sweetness, the wife decides to pick some for her husband. This story is told by Cherokee Indians to remind each other to always be kind and that friendship and respect is sweet like strawberries. ( )
  AleciaDesselle | Feb 21, 2014 |
If you've ever wondered just how strawberries first came into the world, then look no further. In this gentle retelling of a Cherokee folktale, the sun resolves a quarrel between husband and wife by creating a series of delicious berries, culminating with a lovely fruit that looks like red fire in the grass. Bruchac's narrative, when paired with Anna Vojtech's serene watercolors, should please folktale enthusiasts young and old, even the ones (like me) who secretly prefer raspberries... ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 24, 2013 |
A beautiful Cherokee folktale is retold by Joseph Bruchac, but the illustrations by Anna Vojtech really bring it to life. It discusses the importance of forgiveness and reconciliation and is generally positive about the power of love. The Creation story at the beginning is a little confusing, however, for those more familiar with the Christian idiom--why did the man in this story become angry after previously living in peace and happiness with his wife? It is not explained. I would recommend this story to ages 3-8. ( )
  SylviaSmile | Apr 30, 2013 |
For my Tsalagi friends and teachers-Wado! J.B.
To Roland A.V.
Long ago when the world was new, the Creator made a man and a woman.

From an award-winning Native American storyteller comes this captivating re-telling of a Cherokee legend, which explains how strawberries came to be. Long ago, the first man and woman quarrelled. The woman left in anger, but the Sun sent tempting berries to Earth to slow the wife?s retreat. Luminous paintings perfectly complement the simple, lyrical text. ?Complete harmony of text and pictures: altogether lovely.? -- Kirkus Reviews, pointer review Joseph Bruchac is an award-winning storyteller whose books for children include Eagle Song, Children of the Longhouse, and Arrow to the Sun (all Dial). He lives in Greenfield Center, New York. Anna Vojtech lives in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A quarrel between the first man and the first woman is reconciled when the Sun causes strawberries to grow out of the earth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible