The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone

The Gingerbread Boy (1975)

by Paul Galdone

ages 3-5, source-daycare
  SWong4512 | May 22, 2014 |
Galdone doesn't make nice with the ultimate destiny of the cocksure Gingerbread Boy. And bravo to that. Kids are enthralled that in the end, the protagonist actually dies. And doesn't even leave a crumb. Pure magic to read aloud. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
This traditional story of the Gingerbread Boy is great for young children. This story has the classic saying all children love to repeat: "I'll run and I'll run as fast as I can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!". This story is part of my personal library. I would recommend this story to all young children. ( )
  lmckeon | Jul 7, 2012 |
The Gingerbread Boy is a simple and direct classic story of an old couple, with no children of their own, who baked a gingerbread boy to keep them company. However, once the boy was baked, he ran away from the couple’s home as fast as he could. During that cross town chase, the gingerbread boy past a cow, a horse, a group of threshers, mowers, etc., all of whom continued to chase him in order to eat him. But the gingerbread boy was too fast for all of them. Finally, he met up with a cunning fox who tricked the boy in thinking that she who was going to help him escape his pursuers. As expected, the fox eventually ate him & the gingerbread boy “went the way of every single gingerbread boy that ever came out of an oven”.

It’s an entertaining story with bright and colorful illustrations that definitely adds to the books appeal and raises the reader’s interest. The illustrations portrayed the gingerbread boy’s spirited dash from his pursuers with humor and action & I felt that it stayed true to the culture represented.

When it came to the message or moral of the story, I was not quite sure if it truly had one. One possible message could be to accept one’s destiny & not try to run away from the inevitable. Having said that, I’m not sure if that constitutes a positive message that we would want our kids to embrace. Aside from the message, the story is entertaining, fun, and full of action that would definitely appeal to young readers 3-7 years old. ( )
  liliaabagi | Nov 6, 2011 |
I really liked this version of the book, while still very much the same, I enjoyed this ones illustrations. The cd that goes along with this book is a great addition! The illustrations practically jump right off the page. A great fun book for early ages!
  zhelg | Sep 19, 2011 |
For Madelon.
Once upon a time, there lived a little old woman and a little old man.
Run! Run! Run! Catch me if you can! You can't catch me! I'm the Gingerbread Boy, I am I am!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0899191630, Paperback)

With warmth and humor, the beloved author and Caldecott Honor illustrator Paul Galdone masterfully retells the generations-old fairy tale of the Gingerbread Boy who escapes one mouth only to find himself in another. After the cookie boy’s dramatic escape from the little old woman’s oven, he runs and runs, shouting “Catch me if you can!” to his various hungry pursuers, the last of whom is a smarty-pants fox who eats him—gulp! Action-packed storytelling and plenty of repetition—along with Galdone’s comical ink-and-wash illustrations—are the perfect recipe for a perennial story-hour favorite.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:40 -0400)

The Gingerbread Boy eludes the hungry grasp of everyone he meets until he happens upon a fox more clever than he.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible