The Gingerbread Boy by Paul Galdone

The Gingerbread Boy (1975)

by Paul Galdone

Recently added byVCMedansky, mksamp, private library, jpinger, BrittanyCanales, hberbach, NativityNorth, UUCQC

Summary
An old woman and man, who didn't have any children, decided to make a gingerbread boy one day. When the gingerbread was done baking, the lady opened the oven and the gingerbread boy jumped out the oven and ran out the door with the old lady and man running after him saying that they couldn't catch him. He runs past farm animals and other people, who all wan to eat him, so they all chased him with him saying and teasing that the couldn't catch him. He then comes to river and a fox ask the gingerbread boy if he would like him to take him across the river. The gingerbread man agrees and in the end gets betrayed by the fox because the fox eats him.

Personal opinion
I love this book because there are so many activities I could do with this book whether it be in class or take home activity. I hate to say this but I think this book teaches the audience to be careful who you trust.

Extension
(I love doing food activities) We could make our own gingerbread boys and girls. We could make gingerbread from scratch and have the children measure out the ingredients. I can send home blank paper gingerbread boy/girls and have parents help their children decorate their gingerbread boy/girl. We could go outside and play catch me if you can (tag) to get the children up and moving.
  BrittanyCanales | Feb 11, 2015 |
The Gingerbread Boy is all about knowing your abilities and that there is always someone who knows something you don't. I liked this book a lot, the flow and familiarity of the story were very nice. I liked the word choice of the story and the build up of the story with it. For example each page he outsmarts someone who adds them to his list on the next, eventually leading him to list off his 6 victims leading up to the fox. I also like the moral of the story and the way it is told. The gingerbread boy becomes so proud that it clouds his judgement and allows the tricky fox to take his pride and turn it into his downfall. ( )
  mduval7 | Oct 1, 2014 |
ages 3-5, source-daycare
  SWong4512 | May 22, 2014 |
Galdone doesn't make nice with the ultimate destiny of the cocksure Gingerbread Boy. And bravo to that. Kids are enthralled that in the end, the protagonist actually dies. And doesn't even leave a crumb. Pure magic to read aloud. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
This traditional story of the Gingerbread Boy is great for young children. This story has the classic saying all children love to repeat: "I'll run and I'll run as fast as I can. You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!". This story is part of my personal library. I would recommend this story to all young children. ( )
  lmckeon | Jul 7, 2012 |
For Madelon.
Once upon a time, there lived a little old woman and a little old man.
Run! Run! Run! Catch me if you can! You can't catch me! I'm the Gingerbread Boy, I am I am!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0899191630, Paperback)

With warmth and humor, the beloved author and Caldecott Honor illustrator Paul Galdone masterfully retells the generations-old fairy tale of the Gingerbread Boy who escapes one mouth only to find himself in another. After the cookie boy’s dramatic escape from the little old woman’s oven, he runs and runs, shouting “Catch me if you can!” to his various hungry pursuers, the last of whom is a smarty-pants fox who eats him—gulp! Action-packed storytelling and plenty of repetition—along with Galdone’s comical ink-and-wash illustrations—are the perfect recipe for a perennial story-hour favorite.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:40 -0400)

The Gingerbread Boy eludes the hungry grasp of everyone he meets until he happens upon a fox more clever than he.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,794,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible