The Korean Cinderella by Shirley Climo

The Korean Cinderella

by Shirley Climo, Ruth Heller (Illustrator)

I did not find this book as enjoyable as The Persian Cinderella, but still found the book extremely informative. The book contained many of the elements of the original Cinderella story, but had a cultural twist that made it its own. The only reason why I did not find this story to be as enjoyable as the Persian version, was that I felt that the main character, Pear Blossom, was underdeveloped and did not have as much personality to her that made her stick out and really own her place in the book. I did not find myself rooting for her as I do with most of the Cinderella characters in these types of books. I did pity her and found her situation to be unfortunate, but her character did not really peak my interest. That being said, the book still was very informative and gave a lot of insight into Korean culture and how this classic story was told in different ways in Korea. One thing I really loved about how the book was written was that the author included many Korean words in the book with a translation to what it means: “Pear Blossom called the woman Omoni, or mother.” Finally, the illustrations in this book actually surpassed that of the Persian version of this story. There pages were there were no words, and yet the pictures really spoke volumes. The colors were vibrant and popped out of the page to really signify how exciting the festivals and Korean culture could be. In conclusion, the book was very effective for educational purposes, and while the story and plot was interesting and flowed well, I found the characters to be underdeveloped. ( )
  EmilyXia | Sep 2, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. I have always been drawn to fairytales and love reading stories with different perspectives. This story has a young Korean girl who is mistreated by her stepmother and stepsister. The story follows the standard Cinderella story but includes cultural perspectives and characteristics of the Korean culture. The illustrations in this story are also very detailed and add to the reader’s understanding.
  akern3 | May 18, 2015 |
I like the story,"The Korean Cinderella," by Shirley Cimo. I liked this story because of its plot. Specifically, I liked how it was another Cinderella story but from another country. This is evident in the story because Pear Blossom has a major tormentor, Omoni, and is rescued by a magistrate out of her misery. I also liked this story because of the context and how there were Korean words. For example, in the story it says, "Omoni, or Mother," and "Hai, the sun." Lastly, I liked the story's illustrations because they were engaging. I liked how Pear Blossom was drawn in detail because it allowed me to have a better idea of what she looked like and helped me understand the story more. The backgrounds were also drawn very colorful with shapes. The main idea of the story is that good things come to those who wait. Even though Pear Blossom does not live a life she enjoys as she is tormented by her stepmother and her stepsister, she is eventually rescued by the Magistrate. ( )
  NicoleGinex | May 5, 2015 |
I prefer Heller's illustrations for her children's grammar and science books, but I agree with Climo that she was a good choice for this. Although the text didn't quite ring true to my ears, the notes do explain that both author and illustrator did the research to make the story authentic to the Korean traditions. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book by Shirley Climo is the Korean version of the popular cinderella character. I gave it 3 stars because there is so much I can do with this book. It has the same theme. A girl named Pear Blossom (Cinderella) mother dies. Her father remarries and unkind widow that has one daughter. I could use this in my classroom for compare and contrast this story with another Cinderella story. The possibilities are endless. ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is a great resource to integrate multiculturalism and also talk about Cinderella the fair tale.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Shirley Climoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heller, RuthIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

-Climo and Heller conflate several Korean variants of Cinderella to offer up the story of Pear Blossom, a lovely girl who is sorely mistreated by her nasty stepmother and stepsister.… At once comfortingly familiar and intriguingly exotic, the text is especially noteworthy for its instructive but unobtrusive incorporation of Korean words.’—Publishers Weekly. -Heller’s paintings are exotically lush and colorful as well as engaging.… An agreeable retelling of the Cinderella story.’ —BL.

Notable 1994 Children's Trade Books in Social Studies (NCSS/CBC)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:54 -0400)

In this version of Cinderella set in ancient Korea, Pear Blossom, a stepchild, eventually comes to be chosen by the magistrate to be his wife.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,966,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible