The Seven Chinese Brothers (Blue Ribbon…

The Seven Chinese Brothers (Blue Ribbon Book) (edition 1992)

by Margaret Mahy, Mou-Sien Tseng (Illustrator)

Member:HayleighCW
Title:The Seven Chinese Brothers (Blue Ribbon Book)
Authors:Margaret Mahy
Other authors:Mou-Sien Tseng (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1992), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:Empathy, China, Brothers, family, folktales, history, village living, courage, teamwork.

The Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy

English (28)  French (1)  All languages (29)
Well, I liked it, but I don't think it's all that much of an improvement over [b:The Five Chinese Brothers|65217|The Five Chinese Brothers|Claire Huchet Bishop|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388196925s/65217.jpg|63267] or even [b:The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship|539082|The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship|Arthur Ransome|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311985010s/539082.jpg|526470]. This is still very violent, with the Emperor's armies trying to kill the rescuer of the peasants building the Great Wall. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons. One reason I liked this book was because of the writing. It was engaging. The book has many events that make the reader want to continue to read the book. The book was also very repetitive. Young readers like books that have events that are repetitive. I also liked this book because the language was very descriptive. The author described each of the seven brothers and their different abilities. For instance, the author said “the first brothers amazing ear could hear a fly’s sneeze a hundred miles away.” The author would continue and tell the readers each of the brother’s different abilities. The big message of this story is that family is always there for you. Family will do anything to protect you. ( )
  madelinependergast | Apr 28, 2016 |
The Seven Chinese Brothers is a book about seven brothers, each of whom have a special power. When the emperor finds out that one of the brothers has helped rebuild the Great Wall of China by himself in just one day, he demands that the brother be killed. The brothers then switch places with each other and use their powers to not die. This book is a good example of tall tale. Tall tales are characterized through exaggeration, which happens all throughout the book. Each of the brothers' powers are exaggerated. The book follows the classic "good vs. evil" style that many folklore tales follow. I would use this book in a class to introduce the idea of exaggeration, or to talk about Chinese culture. The media this book uses is mainly watercolor, or ink and wash. ( )
  jbohall14 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I did not like this book because I thought it was very difficult to follow as a reader. The seven different brothers all looked alike which made it hard to depict who was who through the illustrations and it was hard for the reader to know which brother had which power because they narrator didn't talk about the brother by name but rather by the number brother they were. I really liked how detailed the illustrations were of the different places in China as well of how detailed the brothers looked but that was the only good part of the book for me. It was hard for me to follow the plot with all the different events going on. If a child were to read this book I think it should be for a child in a higher grade since it is hard to follow along. ( )
  jherrm1 | Feb 7, 2015 |
SUMMARY: Seven brothers with extraordinary powers try to overcome the tyrannical emperor ruling China.

REVIEW: This is a great take on a traditional fairy tale. It contains language and illustrations that are simple enough for children to understand. The illustrations are beautiful and do an effective job of adding to the text on the page. The main message of this book is that good always triumphs over evil. I believe that children will find this book a very interesting read. ( )
  amay3 | Dec 9, 2014 |

Margaret Mahyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tseng, JeanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tseng, Mou-SienIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0590420577, Paperback)

A magnificently illustrated and authentic retelling of the classic Chinese folktale of the seven brothers and their supernatural gifts. "Exceptional." - School Library Journal, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

Seven Chinese brothers elude execution by virtue of their extraordinary individual qualities.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,584,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible