The Seven Chinese Brothers (Blue Ribbon…

The Seven Chinese Brothers (Blue Ribbon Book) (edition 1992)

by Margaret Mahy, Mou-Sien Tseng (Illustrator)

Member:HayleighCW
Title:The Seven Chinese Brothers (Blue Ribbon Book)
Authors:Margaret Mahy
Other authors:Mou-Sien Tseng (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1992), Paperback, 40 pages
Tags:Empathy, China, Brothers, family, folktales, history, village living, courage, teamwork.

The Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy

English (21)  French (1)  All languages (22)
I picked this book up because I remembered reading it from when I was younger. I remembered enjoying it very much and for this reason I chose to read it again. I think that this book would be very enjoyable for many students. This is because I believe that students would enjoy the magic or supernatural piece of the story that each brother has their own strength or superpower. I believe that younger readers would be interested in these characters for this reason. I also believe that the story is successful because it presents the trickery of the brothers and how they use their respective skills to save themselves and each other. There is suspense that would keep the readers engaged, but the conflict is resolved at the end because each brother utilizes his own skill. I believe that students will enjoy this book for the conflict and its resolution and also for the unity and teamwork of the seven brothers. ( )
  jfoti | May 19, 2014 |
This text is a folktale from China. It is about seven brothers who work together as a team to take down the emperor. Each brother has a unique and supernatural gift that contributes to the team. This story would be great to pair with a lesson about the history of China (perhaps a lesson about the Great Wall). This story is the typical "good vs. evil" plot that children will enjoy because of the sequence of events that occur when the brothers try to defeat the emperor. The main message in this story is to teach children the importance of family and how your family will always have your back. ( )
  jjones58 | May 11, 2014 |
This text, "The Seven Chinese Brothers" is a great international folktale or story from China. Before reading, students have the opportunity to read background information about China, some historical background, some information about Chinese emperors, and some information about the Great Wall of China. The story starts by introducing the seven Chinese brothers, the main characters. Throughout the story, the seven brothers help each other out by working together to defeat the emperor who wants them each to be executed. In the end, their teamwork helps them to escape execution and live freely together again. This would be a great book to teach students about historical fiction, to read books about different cultures, and mostly for character mapping. Since there are seven main characters in the story who each have very different personalities, it would be great for students to practice mapping out the actions and traits of each of the characters. ( )
  DannieN | Nov 3, 2013 |
Each of the seven Chinese brothers have a special gift that comes in handy when trying to save each other from the Emperor. This story presses the importance of family and sticking up for each other. Story suitable for children in 3rd grade or older. ( )
  a.stone5 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Out of seven brothers, each one had a wonderful gift, each gift is needed against the emperor who feels threatened and orders to kill one of the brothers, with wit and the gifts the brothers get themselves out of the emperors power. I like this book because its a fun tale and takes place mostly at the great wall. I recommend this book for ages 8 to 12.
  KylieNelson | Mar 17, 2013 |

Margaret Mahyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tseng, JeanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tseng, Mou-SienIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0590420577, Paperback)

A magnificently illustrated and authentic retelling of the classic Chinese folktale of the seven brothers and their supernatural gifts. "Exceptional." - School Library Journal, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:56 -0400)

Seven Chinese brothers elude execution by virtue of their extraordinary individual qualities.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,707,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible