The Black Stallion and the Girl by Walter…

The Black Stallion and the Girl (1971)

by Walter Farley

Series: Black Stallion (18)

9/2012 Farley's love song to his vanished daughter is so poignant, so breathtakingly sad underneath, that it's maybe the most meaningful of all the series. Farley pokes at what (one assumes) were some of the arguments he and his daughter had, and attempts to resolve them in her favor. I want, now, to read an in-depth biography of Farley and see how closely my speculations match up to reality. I love the proto-hippie, beginning feminist tone of this book, and the clunky Alec falling in love. It's a keeper.

1/2009 I haven't read this for ages. It was always one of my favorites of the Black Stallion series when I was a girl. Now that I'm someone's mom, and now that I know that Farley wrote this in memory of his own daughter, I find it almost unbearably poignant. Pam is so idealized as to be a goddess, but she fits right in with the perfect horses. The heavy-handed feminism Farley exhibits here feels both real and compensatory. The horse parts are as exciting as ever, but there's a serious underlay to this one that lingers. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Not my favorite of the series. I was always angry that Alec let some stupid girl ride his Black Stallion!! I just didn't like the character of the girl -- most of the later books in the series were not that good. Still, I read them all as a kid because any book with a horse in it (especially the Black Stallion!) is worth reading. ( )
1 vote FionaCat | May 29, 2007 |

Walter Farleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Draper, AngieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was shortly after dawn when Alec Ramsay walked into the training barn at Hopeful Farm and found the new employee man-handling Black Sand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679820213, Paperback)

Hopeful Farm’s success has greatly increased Alec and Henry’s workload, and finally, Alec decides to seek help. When Pam Athena, a very diminutive and very pretty girl applies for the job, Alec can’t imagine that she could be of any use. But then he sees how well she works with the horses. Even the Black, usually untrusting of strangers, is surprisingly calm around her . . . and it isn’t long before Alec himself falls under her spell.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:50 -0400)

Alec Ramsay has a hard time persuading his partners to retain the girl he hires as a trainer and an even harder time convincing them to let her race the Black Stallion when Alec is suspended as a jockey.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible