Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

Belong to Me (edition 2011)

by Marisa de los Santos

Member:Liz_S
Title:Belong to Me
Authors:Marisa de los Santos
Info:Avon (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos (alaskabookworm)
    alaskabookworm: Though "Belong To Me" is a stand-alone book, "Love Walked In" is actually came first and has some of the same characters.

English (90)  French (1)  All languages (91)
In between chick-lit and Literature? Maybe slightly more creative & complex than Elizabeth Berg? Anyway, I love her books and want more! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
women's fiction at its best. good writing. my book club enjoyed it. ( )
  amanaceerdh | Feb 18, 2016 |
I really loved this book. I felt like the characters had a lot of depth, the prose was pleasant without being overwrought, and the plot wasn't predictable. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Really, really liked this one. Liked it so much that I added the author's first book to my reading list. Characters were well-developed, stories were believable. It was a pleasure to read. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Audio book narrated by Julia Gibson

This is a sequel to de los Santos’s first novel - Love Walked In - continuing the story of Cornelia and Teo. However, if you have not read the first book (and I haven’t), you can still enjoy Belong to Me.

Set in a trendy Philadelphia suburb, the novel focuses on three women whose paths cross and the unlikely friendships they form. Cornelia is a petite city girl who has left New York for the suburban life when her husband, hunky doctor Teo Sandoval, gets a new job. Piper Truitt is the Queen Bee of the neighborhood, perfectly dressed and coifed, the self-proclaimed arbiter of taste and appropriate behavior among her set, the perfect mother with perfect children and a perfect home. Lake Tremain, like Cornelia, is a newcomer, but she is a single mother working as a waitress and trying her best to provide an enriched education for her genius son, Dev.

De los Santos alternates point of view among three characters, and does a reasonably good job of this. I did think that some of the plot elements were rather like a soap opera, and the competing story lines resulted in some plot elements not getting sufficient exposition. I would really have liked to read Piper’s story in more depth – that would be an interesting novel all on its own. I did enjoy the writing; occasional phrases really caught my attention (“a confetti of noise” for example). I was engaged and interested from the beginning, though I did think the ending was a bit rushed. I do plan to read her first novel, and would read other works by her.

Julia Gibson does a credible job on the audio performance. She was able to sufficiently differentiate the characters, tricky when you have so many conversations between two or more women. I thought her pacing was good as well.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
For Charles and Annabel, my sleek brown otters.
My fall from suburban grace, or more accurately, my failure to achieve the merest molehill of suburban grace from which to fall, began with a dinner party and a perfectly innocent, modestly clever, and only faintly quirky remark about Armand Assante.

In Belong To Me, we meet charming, insightful Cornelia Brown as she struggles to forge friendships with the women in her new toen and discovers that even the most joyful marriage can encounter unexpected, and sometimes frightening, hurdles. Across the street lives Piper Truitt, a blond, imperious queen bee whose complex inner self breaks to the surface of her picture-perfect life as she cares for her best friend, recently diagnosed with cancer. And then is Lake, the feisty mother of sensitive, whip-smart Dev, who has moved to Cornelia's town so her son can attend a school for gifted students, but who actually habors a deeper motive. As their stories unfold, these characters become entangled in a web of trust, betrayal, love, and loss that challenges them in ways they never imagined and that ultimately teaches them what it means for one human being to belong to another. With wit and charm, de los Santos explores the accidents both big and small that magically converge to make up a life, delivering to us a wonderfully luminous and enchanting story.

In de los Santos' second novel ("Love Walked In", 2006) having moved out of New York City after the double whammy of a miscarriage and 9/11, Cornelia finds herself a shunned outsider among the community's perfect blond matrons. Particularly unwelcoming is her tightly wound neighbour Piper, who is as sharp-tongued as she is judgmental about fashion, flowers and childrearing. Cornelia does begin a fledgling friendship with another newcomer, Lake, a waitress who has moved from California to enroll her genius 13-year-old son Dev in a special school after his previous school punished him for being too smart. Dev suspects there might be more to the move, that Lake may be moving them closer to the mystery father he's never met. As much as Cornelia likes Lake, she senses Lake holding back at crucial moments and responds in kind. Meanwhile, Piper turns out to be a far more complicated woman than she seems on the surface. She drops everything (but her children) to care for her best friend Elizabeth, who's in the last stages of cancer. By the time Cornelia succeeds in becoming pregnant, she and Piper have grown surprisingly close, each opening her heart a little to the other. Days after Elizabeth dies, Piper's husband leaves her and she finds herself an outcast for continuing her (platonic) involvement with Elizabeth's mourning husband and children. In another development, Dev stumbles on the truth Lake has been hiding and learns the identity of his father. The father is stunned; Cornelia is devastated; and oh-so-sensitive, intelligent Dev is furious.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:12 -0400)

"A devoted city dweller, Cornelia Brown surprised no one more than herself when she was gripped by the sudden, inescapable desire to leave urban life behind and head for an idyllic suburb. Though she knows she and her beloved husband, Teo, have made the right move, she approaches her new life with trepidation and struggles to forge friendships in her new home. Cornelia's mettle is quickly tested by judgmental neighbor Piper Truitt. Perfectly manicured, impeccably dressed, and possessing impossible standards, Piper is the embodiment of everything Cornelia feared she would find in suburbia. A saving grace soon appears in the form of Lake. Over a shared love of literature and old movies, Cornelia develops an instant bond with this warm yet elusive woman who has also recently arrived in town, ostensibly to send her perceptive and brilliant son, Dev, to a school for the gifted." "Marisa de los Santos explores the life-altering roller coaster of emotions Piper faces as she cares for two households, her own and that of her cancer-stricken best friend, Elizabeth. Skillfully, de los Santos creates an enigmatic and beguiling character in Lake, who draws Cornelia closer even as she harbors a shocking secret. And from the first page until the exhilarating conclusion, de los Santos engages readers with Cornelia, who, while trying to adapt to her new surroundings, must remain true to herself. As their individual stories unfold, the women become entangled in a web of trust, betrayal, love, and loss that challenges them in ways they never imagined, and that ultimately teaches them what it means for one human being to belong to another."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Marisa de los Santos is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,130,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible