Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

Belong to Me (edition 2011)

by Marisa de los Santos

Collections:Read in 2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:women's fiction

Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

2008 (19) 2009 (8) adult (5) audio (6) audiobook (7) cancer (15) chick lit (22) contemporary (6) contemporary fiction (8) death (10) family (31) fiction (125) friendship (32) grief (5) love (18) love story (6) marriage (15) novel (11) own (8) pregnancy (9) read (12) read in 2008 (8) read in 2009 (11) relationships (15) romance (10) suburbia (7) to-read (32) unread (7) women (6) women's fiction (15)
    Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos (alaskabookworm)
    alaskabookworm: Though "Belong To Me" is a stand-alone book, "Love Walked In" is actually came first and has some of the same characters.

English (80)  French (1)  All languages (81)
This book was something. I didn't expect a twist. The characters were so vivid, i wish i knew them. I didn't think it was perfect, but it was enjoyable. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
It was very sweet. There were some funny bits, some poignant bits, you know, a good mix. I wished I were reading it on the beach instead of on a train. But seriously, I got a lot of reading done on that train ride. ( )
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
  cat-ballou | Jan 22, 2014 |
Primarily the story of Cornelia and Teo Brown who move from NYC to the suburbs of Philadelphia and Cornelia's difficulty making friends and fitting into the established network because she does not have children. She finally befriends a woman named Lake who has also moved, but as a single mother of a brillent teen boy Dev, to secure better schooling for him. Also covers the story of Piper Truitt and her friendship with Elizabeth, a woman dying of cancer. The lives of these three different people/famiies are forever changed after Dev decides to look for his father. Interesting coverage of relationships among friends and their changes in perspective over time. ( )
  CarterPJ | Oct 5, 2013 |
I'm still processing the book. One thing about Marisa's books...she sort of weaves everything together in a very unconventional way. You get a Happily Ever After, but it's kind of bittersweet. She doesn't give something without having something first sacrificed for the happiness. Just like with the first book, Love Walked In, the idea of a "typical" family is blown out of the water, and Marisa just kind of MAKES you accept how things can happen.

I felt very much the same in this book as I did with Love Walked In. I didn't WANT things to happen like they did. The truths that she revealed weren't what I hoped for. In fact, I was in denial for a great majority of this book (and the last, to be honest).

It sort of left me with a...longing, I guess. A regret, maybe? Of how I wished things could have gone, even though she made them all work out in the end. Just not perfectly. ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Charles and Annabel, my sleek brown otters.
My fall from suburban grace, or more accurately, my failure to achieve the merest molehill of suburban grace from which to fall, began with a dinner party and a perfectly innocent, modestly clever, and only faintly quirky remark about Armand Assante.

In Belong To Me, we meet charming, insightful Cornelia Brown as she struggles to forge friendships with the women in her new toen and discovers that even the most joyful marriage can encounter unexpected, and sometimes frightening, hurdles. Across the street lives Piper Truitt, a blond, imperious queen bee whose complex inner self breaks to the surface of her picture-perfect life as she cares for her best friend, recently diagnosed with cancer. And then is Lake, the feisty mother of sensitive, whip-smart Dev, who has moved to Cornelia's town so her son can attend a school for gifted students, but who actually habors a deeper motive. As their stories unfold, these characters become entangled in a web of trust, betrayal, love, and loss that challenges them in ways they never imagined and that ultimately teaches them what it means for one human being to belong to another. With wit and charm, de los Santos explores the accidents both big and small that magically converge to make up a life, delivering to us a wonderfully luminous and enchanting story.

In de los Santos' second novel ("Love Walked In", 2006) having moved out of New York City after the double whammy of a miscarriage and 9/11, Cornelia finds herself a shunned outsider among the community's perfect blond matrons. Particularly unwelcoming is her tightly wound neighbour Piper, who is as sharp-tongued as she is judgmental about fashion, flowers and childrearing. Cornelia does begin a fledgling friendship with another newcomer, Lake, a waitress who has moved from California to enroll her genius 13-year-old son Dev in a special school after his previous school punished him for being too smart. Dev suspects there might be more to the move, that Lake may be moving them closer to the mystery father he's never met. As much as Cornelia likes Lake, she senses Lake holding back at crucial moments and responds in kind. Meanwhile, Piper turns out to be a far more complicated woman than she seems on the surface. She drops everything (but her children) to care for her best friend Elizabeth, who's in the last stages of cancer. By the time Cornelia succeeds in becoming pregnant, she and Piper have grown surprisingly close, each opening her heart a little to the other. Days after Elizabeth dies, Piper's husband leaves her and she finds herself an outcast for continuing her (platonic) involvement with Elizabeth's mourning husband and children. In another development, Dev stumbles on the truth Lake has been hiding and learns the identity of his father. The father is stunned; Cornelia is devastated; and oh-so-sensitive, intelligent Dev is furious.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:32 -0400)

"A devoted city dweller, Cornelia Brown surprised no one more than herself when she was gripped by the sudden, inescapable desire to leave urban life behind and head for an idyllic suburb. Though she knows she and her beloved husband, Teo, have made the right move, she approaches her new life with trepidation and struggles to forge friendships in her new home. Cornelia's mettle is quickly tested by judgmental neighbor Piper Truitt. Perfectly manicured, impeccably dressed, and possessing impossible standards, Piper is the embodiment of everything Cornelia feared she would find in suburbia. A saving grace soon appears in the form of Lake. Over a shared love of literature and old movies, Cornelia develops an instant bond with this warm yet elusive woman who has also recently arrived in town, ostensibly to send her perceptive and brilliant son, Dev, to a school for the gifted." "Marisa de los Santos explores the life-altering roller coaster of emotions Piper faces as she cares for two households, her own and that of her cancer-stricken best friend, Elizabeth. Skillfully, de los Santos creates an enigmatic and beguiling character in Lake, who draws Cornelia closer even as she harbors a shocking secret. And from the first page until the exhilarating conclusion, de los Santos engages readers with Cornelia, who, while trying to adapt to her new surroundings, must remain true to herself. As their individual stories unfold, the women become entangled in a web of trust, betrayal, love, and loss that challenges them in ways they never imagined, and that ultimately teaches them what it means for one human being to belong to another."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Marisa de los Santos is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,417,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible