Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Generation Dead

by Daniel Waters

You can read this review and others on my blog acascadeofbooks.blogspot.com

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you will know that I love zombies. Although I wouldn't particularly like to meet one, I really enjoy reading about them!! This book has always featured fairly high on most people's list of zombie novels (especially YA)and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately it really let me down :(

Firstly the characters; Phoebe was a pretty cliché character, a Goth who wrote deep and meaningful poetry and wore a lot of black. She seemed to be a Goth for no other reason than to be something "different" in YA. She really had very little interesting or original to say, I was pretty disappointed by her as a main character.

Her love interest is a zombie called Tommy, who was a pretty limp character, he wasn't particularly fleshed out (excuse the pun!).

The other minor characters in the novel include Adam, who fills the clichéd role of the best friend who is in love with our main character, and Margi the other best friend, who Phoebe tries to convince that zombies aren't all bad.

I also had a problem with the zombies themselves in this novel. They were the weakest and most pathetic zombies I've ever read about. They did nothing even remotely zombie, I understand that they're trying to be integrated back into society, but if they're so like humans, why is everyone creating such a fuss? I also would've liked a bit more information on exactly why these teenagers were coming back as zombies, absolutely nothing was explained about this at all. I understand it's a series, but c'mon!

The author also used some weird language throughout the novel, including very lengthy descriptions of things, that frankly didn't need to be explained. For example "Phoebe's breath preceded her, puffs of vapour like spirits dancing in the light of the moon." There was no reason for all the dancing spirit stuff, we all know how our breaths appear when it's cold!

There were also some just plain weird descriptions, like this one; "Phoebe just looked at her beautiful egg salad sandwich and wished that she had any desire left to eat it." A "beautiful egg sandwich"? Seriously!

The story also had a weird point of view, which changed from a third person POV to jumping between many different characters POVs with very little warning. It all meant a rather confusing time for the reader,

Overall I really didn't enjoy this novel, if you hadn't noticed!! I had such high expectations for it and it really disappointed me.
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
LOVED IT!!! Fresh spin on Zombies. Characters have depth they pull you in and pull at your heart strings. At times it reminded me of Wicked the musical, as far as the way it spins political and social issues into the story...I was really shocked to learn Mr. Waters had no interest in a movie production of Generation Dead. I hope he reconsiders. ( )
  CherryBlossom.76 | Mar 14, 2016 |
Not quite what I expected. The plight of the zombies (sorry the differently biotic persons) was written as just another group's struggle for acceptance and equality. The book did end leaving many questions unanswered, so I'm glad there's a sequel. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Just read it... It's a beautiful book, which I purchased not expecting much, but liked because of the interesting cover. When I opened it to read, it completed shifted everything that I have ever thought. When I got this book, the whole zombie fascination wasn't happening at all. No "The Walking Dead" or "iZombie", there was nothing about zombies when I bought this (maybe in grade 7, I'm in college now) I absolutely adored it, and my only thought about zombies... they were hot! (I am referring to Tommy). Today, as I compare it to the brain eating and zombie romance "Warm Bodies", I would say it is nothing of the sort --- completely unique. As well as the whole 'high-school drama', I would say there is drama, but with zombies! I'm surprised this hasn't been turned into a film. I recommend this book to anyone who wants their notion on zombies to turn upside down. ( )
  A.J.K | Feb 20, 2016 |
Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. First of series, #2 Kiss of Death, #3 Passing Strange (in which Karen, the most "life like" of the dead teens, reveals she's a lesbian, committed suicide after denying her feelings for best friend Monica, and has suddenly gained the ability to heal herself.) ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Kim, a love story
Phoebe and her friends held their breath as the dead girl in the plaid skirt walked past their table in the lunchroom.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142310921X, Hardcover)

Phoebe is just your typical goth girl with a crush.  He’s strong and silent…and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is happening.  Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead.  They are coming back to life, but they are no longer the same—they stutter, and their reactions to everything are slower.   Termed "living impaired" or "differently biotic," they are doing their best to fit into a society that doesn’t want them.

Fitting in is hard enough when you don’t have the look or attitude, but when almost everyone else is alive and you’re not, it’s close to impossible.   The kids at Oakvale High don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing.  And there are no laws that exist to protect the differently biotic from the people who want them to disappear—for good.

With her pale skin and Goth wardrobe, Phoebe has never run with the popular crowd.  But no one can believe it when she falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids.  Not her best friend, Margi, whose fear of the differently biotic is deeply rooted in guilt over the past.  And especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team.  Adam has just realized his feelings for Phoebe run much deeper than just friendship.   He would do anything for her, but what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?

Generation Dead is a sharp, funny, and breathtakingly original novel from an exciting new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:37 -0400)

When dead teenagers who have come back to life start showing up at her high school, Phoebe, a goth girl, becomes interested in the phenomenon, and when she starts dating a "living impaired" boy, they encounter prejudice, fear, and hatred.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,101,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible