Message in a bottle by Nicholas Sparks

Message in a bottle (1998)

by Nicholas Sparks

English (46)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (53)
Have read all Sparks books and love them all! This one was great, but sad...lots of crying but well written. Also loved the movie which have seen several times.

Shimmering with suspense and emotional intensity, Message in a Bottle takes readers on a hunt for the truth about a man and his memories, and about both the heartbreaking fragility and enormous strength of love. For those who cherished The Notebook and readers waiting to discover the magic of Nicholas Sparks’s storytelling, here is an achingly lovely novel of happenstance, desire, and the choices that matter most.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I really liked the premise of this book and especially the love Garrett had for his deceased wife. His letters to her were beautiful... The only thing I didn't like, unfortunately (and paramount to the story) was Garrett and Theresa together. I'm not sure why, but I never connected with them as a couple. Otherwise, Sparks wrote a lovely story. ( )
  cimonique | Nov 5, 2014 |
With Nicholas Sparks you can count on two things, great writing and loads of drama! His books are an emotional roller-coaster that rarely end with a happy ever after! They are draining in a good way! very cathartic! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
well as you should all now most of [a:Nicholas Sparks|2345|Nicholas Sparks|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1332884095p2/2345.jpg] books have a pretty sad or just to say a not happy ending!... i had this book for a while and i really did not want to read it because i knew i would cry but then finally i got into the mood and of course i cried especially at the ending. The story is really good i liked it at the beggining the story caught me and i really felt emotional though all the book i really wanted for them to be happy, for the male character to finally feel good and for his suffering to end but then of course the ending was nothing like that. The ending was kind of what i expected being a Nicholas Sparks novel but I really wished it was different after falling in love with their sotry. Afer reading around 4 or 5 book from Nicholas Sparks i dont know if i want to keep reading them. For me the whole purpose of reading romances books is because they get to be happy at the end and you are relieved that they made it after all but then noo!... they usually died or not meant to be :( i liked the book but i dont like the feeling of being depress when i finish reading them. ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |
Message in a Bottle is my third time this author. I went in knowing his beautiful way of writing sad and romantic stories containing characters that just cannot be together for some reason or other. I braced myself for reading this one but I still teared up in the end. One line did it, but I can't reveal it here because to do so would be a spoiler.

The writing flows smoothly, as I find with all this author's novels, and the storyline was bittersweet and romantic. The ocean-side setting, the love letters and the broken hearts just blended perfectly here. These characters seemed like real people with mixed emotions and inner struggles. This is a story about true love and destiny.

I recommend Message in a Bottle if you are a fan of well written romantic tear jerkers.

Thank you Nicholas Sparks for taking my heart and breaking it a little, again.

disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Aug 2, 2014 |
For Miles and Ryan
The bottle was dropped overboard on a warm summer evening, a few hours before the rain began to fall.

dvd

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446606812, Mass Market Paperback)

If you thought The Notebook was a tearjerker, get out the hankies, pull up a chair, and get ready to have your heart monkey-wrenched by Nicholas Sparks's second star-crossed love story, Message in a Bottle. When Theresa Osborne takes a much-needed summer holiday at Cape Cod, she finds a lot more than a break from the hustle and bustle. On an early-morning jog along Cape Cod Bay, she comes across a corked bottle with a scrolled-up message inside that reads, "My Dearest Catherine, I miss you, my darling, as I always do, but today is especially hard because the ocean has been singing to me, and the song is that of our life together..." It bobbles around in the same vein for several more paragraphs and ends with "...am alone on the pier and I do not care what others think as I bow my head and cry and cry and cry. Garret."

Garret may eat quiche, but no bother--before you can say "Look! I found two more letters!" Theresa is hot on his trail and determined to find this mysterious yet sensitive message-in-a-bottle man. She finds him at a sleepy North Carolina port, working on his beloved sailboat, The Happenstance. From there, a romance buds and blossoms into a colorful bouquet of emotional baggage. Theresa has problems with her past--or, more accurately, her past is a problem. She is so scarred from her "I'm a super churchgoing guy now that I've run out on my wife" ex-husband that she hasn't tried to date since her divorce some three or four years before. And who is Catherine? And what's Garret's bag, anyway? When Theresa finds out, she plunges to the depths of her soul and uncorks a whopper of a secret about herself, bringing Garret to terms with who he really is.

Message in a Bottle has the earmarks of sentimental tongue-wagging at its finest and should please romantics and cynics alike--it's sure to bring romantics to their knees, while cynics will be slapping theirs in laughter. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:45 -0400)

Divorced and disillusioned about relationships, Theresa Osborne is jogging when she finds a bottle on the beach. Inside is a letter of love and longing to "Catherine", signed simply "Garrett". Challenged by the mystery and pulled by emotions she doesn't fully understand, Theresa begins a search for this man that will change her life. What happens to her is unexpected, perhaps miraculous--an encounter that embraces all our hopes for finding someone special, for having a love that is timeless and everlasting.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,360,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible