Message in a bottle by Nicholas Sparks

Message in a bottle (1998)

by Nicholas Sparks

English (51)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (59)
Boston parenting columnist Theresa Osborne has lost faith in the dream of everlasting love. Three years after divorcing her cheating husband, the single mother is vacationing on Cape Cod when she finds a bottle washed up on the shore. Inside, a message begins: "My Dearest Catherine, I miss you." Subsequent publication of the poignant missive in her column turns up two more letters, found by others, from the same mysterious writer, Garrett Blake. Piqued by his epistolary constancy, Theresa follows the trail to North Carolina, where she discovers that Garrett has been mourning his late wife for three years; writing the sea-borne messages is his only solace. Theresa also finds that Garrett just might be ready to love again... and that she might be the woman for him. ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
What a touching story. It got me so emotional. The character of Garrett was so strong and emotional.The Ending was so sad. The story is so intense that I was crying for a while before I realized it was just a book. I guess Nicholas Sparks has a way with words. ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
I was able to finish this book with a blurred vision, red eyes, and the never-ending shedding of tears. It has become a habit of mine to prepare myself emotionally before reading any novel by Nicholas Sparks; simply because the outcome of his books are never as expected. It was impossible, however, to prepare myself for Message in a Bottle. It was truly the most heartwarming yet heartbreaking story I've read in a long time.

“There are winds of destiny that blow when we least expect them. Sometimes they gust with the fury of a hurricane, sometimes they barely fan one’s cheek. But the winds cannot be denied, bringing as they often do a future that is impossible to ignore.”

It's safe to say that Sparks's style of writing is one of a kind. His words are a melody to the ear and a beauty to the eye. A reader who does not understand or appreciate his writing is likely to discard his books and characters as meaningless. But when analyzed, his plots and characters are truly real.

Garrett, who lost his wife, Catherine, to an unfortunate event, has internal conflicts concerning his love for Catherine and his love for a new woman, Theresa, a divorced woman with a twelve year old son. The plot, the characters, and the circumstances were perfectly sculpted. Though they couldn't compare to the letters and messages in those bottles. I cannot begin to explain how beautiful those messages were. Little had I realized that I've fallen in love with Garrett as well. I've fallen in love with this book.

If you thought The Notebook was a tearjerker, you are in for much more with Message in a Bottle. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Although the ending was a tragic one and I like happy ending...so four stars. Otherwise this novel is a mind blower! ( )
  Silvi.Aich | Jul 7, 2015 |
Couldn't quite give this one a 5. Didn't capture my heart like other Nicholas Sparks books I've read. ( )
  soosthemoose | Feb 18, 2015 |
For Miles and Ryan
The bottle was dropped overboard on a warm summer evening, a few hours before the rain began to fall.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446606812, Mass Market Paperback)

If you thought The Notebook was a tearjerker, get out the hankies, pull up a chair, and get ready to have your heart monkey-wrenched by Nicholas Sparks's second star-crossed love story, Message in a Bottle. When Theresa Osborne takes a much-needed summer holiday at Cape Cod, she finds a lot more than a break from the hustle and bustle. On an early-morning jog along Cape Cod Bay, she comes across a corked bottle with a scrolled-up message inside that reads, "My Dearest Catherine, I miss you, my darling, as I always do, but today is especially hard because the ocean has been singing to me, and the song is that of our life together..." It bobbles around in the same vein for several more paragraphs and ends with "...am alone on the pier and I do not care what others think as I bow my head and cry and cry and cry. Garret."

Garret may eat quiche, but no bother--before you can say "Look! I found two more letters!" Theresa is hot on his trail and determined to find this mysterious yet sensitive message-in-a-bottle man. She finds him at a sleepy North Carolina port, working on his beloved sailboat, The Happenstance. From there, a romance buds and blossoms into a colorful bouquet of emotional baggage. Theresa has problems with her past--or, more accurately, her past is a problem. She is so scarred from her "I'm a super churchgoing guy now that I've run out on my wife" ex-husband that she hasn't tried to date since her divorce some three or four years before. And who is Catherine? And what's Garret's bag, anyway? When Theresa finds out, she plunges to the depths of her soul and uncorks a whopper of a secret about herself, bringing Garret to terms with who he really is.

Message in a Bottle has the earmarks of sentimental tongue-wagging at its finest and should please romantics and cynics alike--it's sure to bring romantics to their knees, while cynics will be slapping theirs in laughter. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:17 -0400)

Divorced and disillusioned about relationships, Theresa Osborne is jogging when she finds a bottle on the beach. Inside is a letter of love and longing to "Catherine", signed simply "Garrett". Challenged by the mystery and pulled by emotions she doesn't fully understand, Theresa begins a search for this man that will change her life. What happens to her is unexpected, perhaps miraculous--an encounter that embraces all our hopes for finding someone special, for having a love that is timeless and everlasting.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible