Everything Will Be All Right by Tessa Hadley

Everything Will Be All Right (2003)

by Tessa Hadley

60None196,291 (3.61)2

Everything Will Be All Right: A Novel by Tessa Hadley (2004)
  michelestjohn | Mar 26, 2010 |
I have just finished reading Tessa Hadley's Everythings will be All Right. Oh I do wish it would have been.

Even though there were sentences and expressions within, which I found to be very insightful, I found the whole experience of reading the book a terrible chore.

It basically was the life history of three generations of women, seen through their eyes. Their life's were full of self-inflicted grief, and it really was an account of how they got themselves into scrapes and out again, mostly involving men, and a baby thrown in for good measure (not to mention the death from meningitus).

It isn't a book I would recommend, I only finished it because I set myself the task, which felt more like hard labour, and because I met the author, who I found very interesting, unlike her tale - which appears was loosely biographical tales from her family. I also took it's promise on the cover at face value...

"Everything will be alright" - well I wished it had been, but unfortunately it wasn't. Shani 21.09.06 ( )
  Phethean | Sep 20, 2006 |
For Mum
Pearl contemplates herself.

When Joyce Stevenson is thirteen, her family moves to the south of England to live with their aunt Vera. Vera and her sister Lil aren't at all alike. Vera, a teacher, has unquestioning belief in the powers of education and reason; Lil puts her faith in seances. Joyce is determined to be different: she falls in love with art (and her art teacher). Spanning five decades of extraordinary change in women's lives, Everything Will Be All Right explores the tangled history of one family and the disasters, hopes, compromises, and ambitions of successive generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:27 -0400)

"When Joyce Stevenson is thirteen, her family moves to the south of England to live with their aunt Vera. Her mother, Lil, is a widow; Vera has a husband who keeps his suits in the wardrobe but spends evenings at another house nearby. The two sisters couldn't be more different - Vera, a teacher, has unquestioning belief in the powers of education and reason; she is exasperated by Lil's faith in spiritualist seances. Yet they work together to form a tight-knit family." "Joyce watches them and sees that something is missing in their lives: men. She doesn't want to end up like Aunt Vera, buttoned awkwardly into unflattering clothes, rejected by her husband. Joyce discovers the art room at school: she falls in love with the sensuousness of lemons, the French Impressionists, and, eventually, one of her teachers at the art college. In spite of the temptations of the sixties, she is determined to make marriage and motherhood a success. When Joyce's daughter, Zoe, grows up and has a baby of her own, however, Zoe proves impatient with domestic life, and chooses a very different path." "Spanning five decades of extraordinary change in women's lives, Everything Will Be All Right explores the complicated relationships in one family. The young ones of each generation are sure they can correct the mistakes of their parents; the truth, of course, is more opaque."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible