Homework by Margot Livesey

Homework

by Margot Livesey

792152,477 ()3

For the most part, Celia Gilchrist is living a happy life. Despite feeling slightly lonely and a bit like a third wheel when she's around her friends, Celia is nevertheless quite content living on her own, answering to no one else - except her cat Tobias. Yes, life is good for Celia Gilchrist.

When she meets Stephen, Celia is ecstatic and believes that she has finally found the right man to share her life. He is a wonderful man - a math teacher at her friend Deirdre's school - very solicitous of Celia, and a loving father to his daughter Jenny. So she moves in with Stephen and Jenny, and happily takes her place within their lovely ready-made family.

Yet, shortly after Celia moves in, things begin to go subtly, menacingly wrong. Money disappears, a sweater of Celia's is ruined; small, commonplace lies escalate into awkward confrontations. Ms. Livesey's debut novel is a stunning and affecting portrait of jealousy and fear, devotion and the desire to be loved.

I was absolutely captivated by this book. The plot was utterly believable to me, and the characters were well-developed and fairly jumped off the page - at least in my opinion. I really didn't want this book to end, and I found myself wondering what would happen next. I would give this book an A+! and am happy to say that I recently obtained another book by Margot Livesey - The Missing World: A Novel. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 18, 2014 |
A great read with a creepy little kid, fun suspense.
  icedream | May 16, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312420447, Paperback)

Celia Gilchrist believes that she has finally found the right man in Stephen, but when she moves in with Stephen and his young daughter Jenny, things begin to go subtly, menacingly wrong. Money disappears, a sweater is ruined, small, common-place lies escalate into awkward confrontations. Livesey’s debut novel, now back in print, is a chilling portrait of jealousy and fear, devotion, and the wish to be loved.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:03 -0400)

Celia Gilchrist believes she has found the right man in Stephen, but when she moves in with him and his young daughter Jenny, things begin to go menacingly wrong. Money disappears, a sweater is ruined, and small, common-place lies escalate into awkward confrontations.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,679,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible