A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed…

A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life

by Jon Katz

Marley & Me by John Grogan (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books are of dogs beloved by their owners despite some unruly behavior on the part of the dogs.

I enjoyed this book for the most part - literally until the last couple of chapters. John Katz is a likeable guy for the most part and a good writer, even if he's a skeptical, cantankerous old fart. Unfortunately, I just had to read this book until the end. I should have stopped, but I thought maybe that since there were several chapters after the low point (Spoiler: He has Orson put down), that there must be some writing at the end to at least make up for that part of the story. Nope. He went and got another dog six weeks later (a lab) and is happy as a clam with his perfect dog family minus the troublemaker. I spent the last thirty minutes of the book daydreaming about John Katz rolling down his favorite hill or having a terrible ATV accident and having the epilogue written by his handyman after finding the manuscript. Halfway through the book I had gone ahead and added the rest of Katz's dog books to my "to read" list. Nope. Nope. Nope. ( )
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
Probably a really good book. But I love dogs too much. I cried. A lot. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Enjoyable book that explore the psyche of a troubled border collie and the owner who loves him and goes to great lengths to heal him. ( )
  aylin1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Made me cry. Anyone who has ever had a border collie, especially a "haunted," "troubled" border collie could completely relate to this book. We, too, had to make the difficult choice to euthanize our beautiful border collie rather than to risk possible human safety. Our border collie looked just like Orson and similar attributes. He was quite the herder and protective to a fault, but what "a good dog" at the same time. ( )
  donitaremy1 | Jul 16, 2011 |
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. --Talmud
To Brian McLendon, for his unwavering faith in my work.
My neighbor came pounding at the back door.

“People who love dogs often talk about a ‘lifetime’ dog. I’d heard the phrase a dozen times before I came to recognize its significance. Lifetime dogs are dogs we love in especially powerful, sometimes inexplicable ways.”–Jon Katz

In this gripping and deeply touching book, bestselling author Jon Katz tells the story of his lifetime dog, Orson: a beautiful border collie–intense, smart, crazy, and unforgettable.

From the moment Katz and Orson meet, when the dog springs from his traveling crate at Newark airport and panics the baggage claim area, their relationship is deep, stormy, and loving. At two years old, Katz’s new companion is a great herder of school buses, a scholar of refrigerators, but a dud at herding sheep. Everything Katz attempts– obedience training, herding instruction, a new name, acupuncture, herb and alternative therapies–helps a little but not enough, and not for long. “Like all border collies and many dogs,” Katz writes, “he needed work. I didn’t realize for some time I was the work Orson would find.”
While Katz is trying to help his dog, Orson is helping him, shepherding him toward a new life on a two-hundred-year-old hillside farm in upstate New York. There, aided by good neighbors and a tolerant wife, hip-deep in sheep, chickens, donkeys, and more dogs, the man and his canine companion explore meadows, woods, and even stars, wade through snow, bask by a roaring wood stove, and struggle to keep faith with each other. There, with deep love, each embraces his unfolding destiny.

A Good Dog is a book to savor. Just as Orson was the author’s lifetime dog, his story is a lifetime treasure–poignant, timeless, and powerful.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:25 -0400)

"People who love dogs often talk about a 'lifetime' dog. I'd heard the phrase a dozen times before I came to recognize its significance. Lifetime dogs are dogs we love in especially powerful, sometimes inexplicable ways." Author Katz tells the story of his lifetime dog, Orson: a beautiful border collie--intense, smart, crazy, and unforgettable. From the moment Katz and Orson meet, their relationship is deep, stormy, and loving. Two years old, Katz's new companion is a great herder of school buses, a scholar of refrigerators, but a dud at herding sheep. Everything Katz attempts--obedience training, herding instruction, a new name, herb and alternative therapies--helps a little but not enough, and not for long. While Katz is trying to help his dog, Orson is helping him, shepherding him toward a new life on a two-hundred-year-old hillside farm in upstate New York.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,720,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible