Charlie the Caterpillar by Dom DeLuise

Charlie the Caterpillar

by Dom DeLuise, Christopher Santoro (Illustrator)

The message shows that one should not judge a person by the way they look and be kind to others to make new friends. One day the tables could turn and you will feel upset for not being welcomed somewhere. Always be kind and don't judge. The book could be used in Kindergarten through 2nd grade focusing on friendship or insects such as the butterfly effect.
  biancagrhm | Apr 29, 2015 |
Charlie The Caterpillar is about how a caterpillar was excluded from activities by others due to his appearance. When finally metamorphosis turned him into a butterfly, every one wanted to be his friend but he knew that they only liked him for his looks. He comes across another caterpillar who was put through the same situation, knowing how it feels, he became best friends with her.

My personal reaction to this book is that it made me think of high school and how superficial people were then, people still are as they get older but I immediately thought of high school. There were times when I was younger as well that I feel like I could relate because I thought people didn’t want to hang out with me due to the way I looked. I really liked how despite all of the attention, the caterpillar knew his worth and didn’t give in to superficial attention

Class activities
A game of trash can so the students can anonymously write something they may not like about themselves and then throw it out.
A presentation on the meaning of self-esteem
  MWsmith7 | Feb 11, 2015 |
I thought that this book was adorable. It would be a great book if you were doing a lesson on caterpillars and butterflies. The other aspect of it that was really important is accepting all people. The caterpillar was not accepted until he became a beautiful butterfly. It made him feel sad as a caterpillar. I think it would be a good tool to use for community building and making everyone feel welcomed in the classroom. ( )
  HeatherSilva | Sep 23, 2014 |
This book is appropriate for 1st-2nd grade students. Charlie the caterpillar is so happy to be alive. He eats and travels, but is saddened by the others that he meets because they call him ugly and don't want to play with him. He becomes so sad that he curls up and hides in his cacoon and sleeps. When he awakens, he finds he has turned into a beautiful butterfly. All of those who refused to play with him because he was ugly, now want to be his friends. He finds true friendship in Katie, a little caterpillar.
* Good for teaching diversity
* Good for allowing students discuss what makes them feel happy/sad
* Students can draw their own butterflies. ( )
  dennislankau | Dec 11, 2011 |
This is a fiction book telling the story of a young caterpillar who turns into a butterfly. The book contains beautiful illustrations and keeps children’s attention with the use of different talking animals. The book does a great job at describing the transformation of Charlie the Caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. I rate this book a 4 out of 5 because I felt that part of the story, such as the other animals playing different games, were unnecessary and the story needed to focus more on Charlie’s transformation. ( )
  aleciagilbert | Oct 15, 2010 |

Dom DeLuiseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santoro, ChristopherIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

As Charlie the Caterpillar meets one group of animals after another playing together and having fun, he asks if he can join in. But each time he's told not welcome -- because he's ugly. As winter approaches, Charlie spins himself a cocoon. When spring arrives, the cocoon opens and out comes Charlie -- now a beautiful butterfly. Everyone wants him to be part of their group. But Charlie puts these fair-weather friends properly in their place in this heartwarming story about the meaning of true friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:40 -0400)

A caterpillar is rejected by various groups of animals, until he achieves his beautiful wings and is able to befriend a similarly unhappy caterpillar.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,790,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible