Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies…

Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Book 3) (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:avocapl
Title:Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Book 3)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Anchor (2002), Paperback, 227 pages

Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith (2001)

English (78)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (80)
This is book 3 in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I am still hooked on the characters and looking forward to the next book. I am really enjoying this light detective series and the day to day life adventures of the characters in Africa. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Another fun romp through Botswana, Africa ... solving mysteries and getting on with the lives of characters we met in the first book of this delightful series.

I was a little confused by the title of this one, since the "beautiful girls" issue was very late in the book. While it is a fun and catchy title, it doesn't do the story justice in the least. However, if that's the only thing that put me off, I'd say McCall Smith has another winner!

Looking forward to the next book in this series, and what happens with these men and women in whom I am becoming very invested!

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I felt the narrative was very disjointed and had little to do with the summary on the back of the book. I also did not like that Makutsi only interviewed half of the contestants. She found one girl of integrity and stopped looking. We are led to believe that the two she did not interview were similar to the first girl we saw--but would a true detective take hearsay and report it as truth to her client?

I like the women taking leadership roles and being successful and that they tried to find a woman of integrity to win a contest. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Third in a series. I particularly like this series because the setting is Africa, and the protagonist is an unusual African woman who solves mostly small mysteries or crimes in her small community. ( )
  kp9949 | Sep 23, 2014 |
So refreshing to read a detective series that does not involve real crime, but does retain a fair amount of sleuthing -- solving life's everyday or more 'common' problems that clients bring to the detective agency. The solution, more often than not, involves setting things 'right', and not so much about arrests and punishments. Enjoying this series tremendously!
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book is for Jean Denison and Richard Denison
Mma Ramotswe, the daughter of the late Obed Ramotswe of Mochudi, near Gaborone, Botswana, Africa, was the announced fiance of Mr J.L.B. Matekoni, son of the late Pumphamilitse Matekoni, of Tlokweng, peasant farmer and latterly chief caretaker of the Railway Head Office.
"Who was to tell another person what size they should be? It was a form of dictatorship, by the thin, and she was not having any of it. If these thin people became any more insistent, then more generously sized people would just have to sit on them. Yes, that would teach them! Hah!"

THE NO.1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY published in 1998, introduced the world to the one and only Precious Ramotswe, the engaging and sassy owner of Botswana's only detective agency. TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE took us further into this world, and now, continuing the adventures of Mma Ramotswe, MORALITY FOR BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, finds her expanding her business to take in the world of car repair and a beauty pageant. Alexander McCall Smith's sense of humour and gentle charm have created a substantial cult following. MORALITY FOR BEAUTIFUL GIRLS will win him yet more fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

In Morality for Beautiful Girls, Precious Ramotswe, founder and owner of the only detective agency for the concerns of both ladies and others, investigates the alleged poisoning of the brother of an important "Government Man," and the moral character of the four finalists of the Miss Beauty and Integrity Contest, the winner of which will almost certainly be a contestant for the title of Miss Botswana. Yet her business is having money problems, and when other difficulties arise at her fiance's Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, she discovers the reliable Mr J.L.B. Matekoni is more complicated than he seems. -- back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible