Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander…

Morality for Beautiful Girls (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Alexander McCall Smith, Lisette Lecat (Narrator)

Member:JayWarner
Title:Morality for Beautiful Girls
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Other authors:Lisette Lecat (Narrator)
Info:Anchor Books
Tags:Africa, Botswana, mystery

Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith (2001)

English (85)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All (87)
Yet another lovely book. I don't seem to tire of listening to these! ( )
  jvgravy | Oct 14, 2016 |
This is the third of Alexander McCall Smith’s Botswana-based stories. Alexander McCall Smith has continued Mma Ramotswe’s path solving crimes, although crimes a bit of a misnomer, in this series. Each crime, or investigation, is told in a group of short stories.

Mma Ramotswe is not only solving other people’s problems in this read. She has found herself in the same plight of many new businesses : financial strain. Her fiancé, Mr. Matekoni is also suffering from financial strain, as well as health related issues. Instead of firing her only staff , Mma Makutsi, she promotes her and passes on more responsibilty. Mma Makutsi performs a few of her own investigations as well as running Mr. Matekoni's car business while he is away.

The investigative activities continue to be unreal, but in a comical, humorous and delightful way. For example, Mma Ramotswe is conducting her surveillance in a single white van, that more than likely would not be hard to spot in light traffic. Need I add, the use of a single vehicle in heavy traffic and stop lights you would more than likely loose the vehicle you are following.

Morality for Beautiful Girls is a quick and pleasant read. However, there are a couple of subplots, for example, the strange boy found in the wilderness, Mma Makutsi’s ill brother, and Mma Makutsi’s own mysterious past, that were not solved. I am hoping the fourth book in this series will shed more light on the subplots.

I received this book from TripFiction in exchange for an honest review.
  WanderRoxyBooks | Sep 1, 2016 |
3.5 Stars, A good light read. Preferred books 1 and 2. Not much interaction between Precious Ramotswe and Mr. J L B Matekoni, and I felt this was a big miss. I would also have liked more about cases she was identified. The ones in the book were quite light. Having said that it was another good read, and I was pleased to see the development of Mma Makutsi. i wil leagerly await the reading of the fourth one, and want to try the other series by Alexander McCall Smith. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Lisette Lecat
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This third book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series finds Precious Ramotswe, Botswana's only female private investigator, with a lot on her plate, including a change in business arrangements, an unwell fiancé, a possible poisoning, and the discovery of a feral child in the bush.

Despite all of that, as in the first two books, the actual plot in this one is low-key almost to the point of being incidental, while the real focus is on the characters and their gentle ruminations on life, love, tradition, and morality in modern Botswana. I have ten more books in this series still sitting unread on my shelves, and I can imagine getting tired of this before I reach the end of them. But I haven't yet, and I still found this one charming and, in the end, satisfying. And I am delighted by the development that Mma Makutsi, Mma Ramotswe's secretary/assistant gets in this one. She's shaping up to be just as formidable a character as her employer, and I hope to see lots more of her in future volumes. ( )
  bragan | Feb 16, 2016 |
This book is for Jean Denison and Richard Denison
Mma Ramotswe, the daughter of the late Obed Ramotswe of Mochudi, near Gaborone, Botswana, Africa, was the announced fiance of Mr J.L.B. Matekoni, son of the late Pumphamilitse Matekoni, of Tlokweng, peasant farmer and latterly chief caretaker of the Railway Head Office.
"Who was to tell another person what size they should be? It was a form of dictatorship, by the thin, and she was not having any of it. If these thin people became any more insistent, then more generously sized people would just have to sit on them. Yes, that would teach them! Hah!"

THE NO.1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY published in 1998, introduced the world to the one and only Precious Ramotswe, the engaging and sassy owner of Botswana's only detective agency. TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE took us further into this world, and now, continuing the adventures of Mma Ramotswe, MORALITY FOR BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, finds her expanding her business to take in the world of car repair and a beauty pageant. Alexander McCall Smith's sense of humour and gentle charm have created a substantial cult following. MORALITY FOR BEAUTIFUL GIRLS will win him yet more fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:10 -0400)

In Morality for Beautiful Girls, Precious Ramotswe, founder and owner of the only detective agency for the concerns of both ladies and others, investigates the alleged poisoning of the brother of an important "Government Man," and the moral character of the four finalists of the Miss Beauty and Integrity Contest, the winner of which will almost certainly be a contestant for the title of Miss Botswana. Yet her business is having money problems, and when other difficulties arise at her fiance's Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, she discovers the reliable Mr J.L.B. Matekoni is more complicated than he seems. -- back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,793,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible