Race Matters by Cornel West

Race Matters (1993)

by Cornel West

He hit the nail on the head, several times. By explaining the nihilistic threat to the existence of the Black Community, he finally gave me words for those feelings of despair that I condemned so often as I was growing up (at the same time as I cursed my parents and myself for having too-light skin): that hopelessness and the constant complaints about the Salvadorean boat-people coming over and taking our jobs, about them not listening to Dad just because he was Black, about having two strikes against us as Black Women, and about how lucky I was to be light-skinned because I would get more job, except that it doesn't always work that way. And my own desperate attempts to make the system work, as the Lt. Col. used to say, but I found that outside of Jr. ROTC, that didn't generally work, either. And now I have the words and the analysis to understand why.
Thank you, Cornel West.
BUT,
I do have to disagree mildly with his statements that there was never much cooperation between Black folks and Jewish folks. Please see my book (ok, yes, it is a short book but a book-sized book, nonetheless) on the subject, with examples, of Black-Jewish cooperation in DC both before and during the 60s: [b:Stayed on Freedom's Call: Cooperation Between Jewish And African-American Communities In Washington, DC|21532511|Stayed on Freedom's Call Cooperation Between Jewish And African-American Communities In Washington, DC|Shira Destinie Jones Landrac|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1396843051s/21532511.jpg|40860923] ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I remember that when I was very young and self-pitying, I didn’t understand white privilege and I didn’t like hearing about all the white presidents, because I figured that that had nothing to do with my life and that people were just going to ascribe to me a power that I didn’t have. After having read books like this one, I see that this sort of thing is actually more of a problem that black people would have: one isolated black person gets past the system, enabling people who don’t care to have another girl excuse why the concerns of the colored are not real.

Anyway, I read this book and I took little mental notes about the other books mentioned in it that I want to read, like “Beloved”, and it was great.
  smallself | Jan 15, 2019 |
West shares his percpetions of the social impact of life and discrimination.
  goneal | May 25, 2012 |
Humane, insightful, and no less relevant than when it was written. ( )
  cdogzilla | Nov 14, 2010 |
I didn't really understand this upon my original reading during my early-mid 20s, but plan to read it again. ( )
  GraceWing-YuanToy | Dec 10, 2008 |
added by lquilter | editSchool Library Journal (Sep 7, 1993)

To my wonderful son Clifton Louis West who combats daily the hidden injuries of race with the most potent of weapons -- love of self and others

With a new introduction, the groundbreaking classic Race Matters affirms its position as the bestselling, most influential, and most original articulation of the urgent issues in America?s ongoing racial debate.

Cornel West is at the forefront of thinking about race. In Race Matters he addresses a range of issues, from the crisis in black leadership and the myths surrounding black sexuality to affirmative action, the new black conservatism, and the strained relations between Jews and African Americans. He never hesitates to confront the prejudices of all his readers?or wavers in his insistence that they share a common destiny. Bold in its thought and written with a redemptive passion grounded in the tradition of the African-American church, Race Matters is a book that is at once challenging and deeply healing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:48 -0400)

Looks at the issues facing African Americans, including the new Black conservatism, Black-Jewish relations, discrimination, racial sterotypes, and despair.

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,084,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible