The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David…

The Swiss Family Robinson (1812)

by Johann David Wyss, Johann Rudolf Wyss

4,033None1,262 (3.61)111

This book caught my attention right away with the scene of a ship going down at sea. This books tells about the family on this ship (I never quite figured out how they got there...maybe I missed it.) who survives not only the ship wreck but life on a deserted island. After only the first chapter I was bothered by the fathers constant advice...or nagging about everything the boys did. It got a overwhelming at times and I admit to scanning some pages because of the fathers incessant lectures. I like stories of survival and I like the idea of a family working together - but Dad...lay off! ( )
  JenWinans | Mar 16, 2014 |
I was given this book by my oldest brother and his wife, and I greatly enjoyed reading it. ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 17, 2013 |
I love the good classics. For example we have all books in the Anne of Green Gables series. They are obviously written in a different time and in a style that was common then: lots of description and day-to-day happenings without a strong plot. But these books give a beautiful and interesting flavour of times past.

This book, however... I completely fail to understand why this ever became a classic.

It starts well, but soon the book gets bogged in chapter after chapter of problems too easily solved, self-righteous preaching and family wholesomeness that I find unbelievable. In addition to this, the author appears not to have had one ounce of knowledge regarding the world's geography, climate and plant species.

If you want to read classics to your kids, find something else. ( )
  Patty_Jansen | May 18, 2013 |
So. A family gets shipwrecked on an island. They happily build some houses, plant food-bearing plants, tame some local animals, and kill one of everything else they see to put in their "museum". The head of the household is a pious man, who luckily seems to know everything about every animal/plant/indigenous custom that ever existed. This father is the narrator of the story. It seems that at every turn there is an opportunity for him to impart some specialised knowledge and moral lesson for his sons. I found him to be stuffy and arrogant, but that was the time I suppose.

The only thing saving this story for me was that it was originally a bedtime story told to the authors sons. In that context I can see the fast moving events working, but in the novel form it is repetitive and borderline meaningless ( )
1 vote Ireadthereforeiam | Mar 30, 2013 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

For many days we had been tempest-tossed.
The tempest had lasted six long and terrible days.
The storm had lasted for six days - and even then, far from subsiding, it seemed to gather even greater fury. (Audrey Butler version)
Actually edited and completed by Johann Rudolf Wyss. His father, Johann David Wyss, wrote the story.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529618, Mass Market Paperback)

The 200th Anniversary Edition of The Swiss Family Robinson

Swept off course by a raging storm, a Swiss pastor, his wife, and their four young sons are shipwrecked on an uncharted tropical island. Thus begins the classic story of survival and adventure that has fired the imaginations of readers since it first appeared in 1812. With optimism and boundless enthusiasm, the Robinson family undertakes the extraordinary task of constructing a home for themselves and exploring the primitive island filled with strange and beautiful creatures and exotic fruits and plants. Rich in action and suspense, this exhilarating novel takes us to a faraway place of danger and beauty, where the courageous Robinson family embarks on a thrilling new life of adventure and discovery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:24 -0400)

Relates the fortunes of a shipwrecked family as they adapt to life on an island with abundant animal and plant life.

Eleven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143104993, 0141325305

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible