The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David…

The Swiss Family Robinson (1812)

by Johann David Wyss, Johann Rudolf Wyss

My memories of this story came from the Disney movie. So I noticed the differences. Disney reduce the number of sons to three. In the book they have 4 sons. The later half is quite different from the movie.

I was surprised by how violent the boys were toward the animals they met. How they would "punish" an animal. The father really disliked his son Ernest. Ernest was a thinker and more serious not as inclined to physical action, so the father dismissed him as lazy. It made me uncomfortable how the mother wanted then to stay with her. She dreaded her son's going off and having their own lives. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 4, 2016 |
I read this book when I was 8 years old and loved it. It fueled my imagination to the point that I wanted a tree house for years. Not a little wooden platform in a tree, but a real house in a tree like in this book. Upon reading it again, I was amazed to discover there were multiple living quarters for the Swiss family who are shipwrecked on an island apparently somewhere in fantasy land. I say this because of the multitude of animals they encounter on this island. Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my! And penguins, ostriches, bears, a huge boa constrictor, monkeys, baboons, onagers, kangaroos, walrus, hyenas, elephants, tapirs, jackals, gazelles, wild boars, whales, and a variety of birds including the heron, eagle, toucan, albatross, swan, cormorant...you get the idea. Hard to believe a place exists that would be home to all those species. As I read the book, I started to think it was a good thing the father in particular was shipwrecked. He's the sort of man who knows EVERYTHING about absolutely everything (the Cliff Clavin of Switzerland) and would have no doubt glazed the eyes of many unsuspecting folk of "good society". In short...I went from 5 stars to 3 stars, crushing my childhood memory. You really can't go home again. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I loved this book as a kid. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This is a great fantasy book for grades 4-6th about a family who is shipped wrecked and has to live on a secluded island. The animals in this book are quite fantastic and the book requires children to use their imagination. This book is a great chapter book for encouraging creativity. ( )
  Ryanscheafer | Dec 20, 2015 |
This 1812 novel was made into a 1960 movie that I remember as being pretty wholesomely Disneyfied. To my amazement, the actual book is equally unrealistically wholesome. The family, consisting of a Swiss mother, father, and four boys, are marooned on an uncharted island following a shipwreck in which they are abandoned by the captain and crew, never to be seen again. They embrace their fate with verve and good cheer, emptying the ship of all useful tools and supplies, and creating a mainly comfortable and well-fed life by dint of hard work and a cheerful outlook. The island must be dozens of square miles, supporting a variety of plants and animals that co-exist nowhere else on earth. There are kangaroos, lions, tigers, bears, buffalo, boa constrictors, ostriches and monkeys. The family has spent at least a decade on the island by the conclusion, never despairing of their fate or their isolation. The conclusion itself, after a decade of isolation in which they are only rarely threatened by the island predators, is in equal measure satisfying and unbelievable. ( )
  burnit99 | Mar 22, 2015 |

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

For many days we had been tempest-tossed.
The tempest had lasted six long and terrible days.
The storm had lasted for six days - and even then, far from subsiding, it seemed to gather even greater fury. (Audrey Butler version)
Actually edited and completed by Johann Rudolf Wyss. His father, Johann David Wyss, wrote the story.
The author is Johann David Wyss.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529618, Mass Market Paperback)

The 200th Anniversary Edition of The Swiss Family Robinson

Swept off course by a raging storm, a Swiss pastor, his wife, and their four young sons are shipwrecked on an uncharted tropical island. Thus begins the classic story of survival and adventure that has fired the imaginations of readers since it first appeared in 1812. With optimism and boundless enthusiasm, the Robinson family undertakes the extraordinary task of constructing a home for themselves and exploring the primitive island filled with strange and beautiful creatures and exotic fruits and plants. Rich in action and suspense, this exhilarating novel takes us to a faraway place of danger and beauty, where the courageous Robinson family embarks on a thrilling new life of adventure and discovery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:14 -0400)

Relates the fortunes of a shipwrecked family as they imaginatively adapt to life on an island with abundant animal and plant life.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143104993, 0141325305

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,753,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible