Monkey: A Journey to the West by David…

Monkey: A Journey to the West

by David Kherdian

Fun retelling of the Monkey legend. Gives us a hint of how to break through the "normal" and into the "real." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read this book before spending the holidays with my parents. This book is billed as the Chinese version of The Odyssey. I remember my parents talking about different stories from the epic A Journey to the West when I was younger. This version is just a portion of that long classic covering the Monkey King's pilgrimage accompanying a Buddhist monk as he travels from China to India to bring the holy scriptures back to China. On the journey they encounter many challenges and obstacles and the Monkey King uses cunning and physical agility on his trials. Although the original was written centuries ago, I found this edition very readable and enjoyable. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Somewhat weird and typical Chinese tale filled with dragons, gods, magic abilities and all that sort of stuff. The story is about Monkey who travels with a priest to collect some scriptures. Almost every little thing also carries some fancy name (mountains, caves...). It is a fast read (which is good), but the story wasn't all that great. The copy I've read was the Dutch translation of the English version of the story... ( )
  kabouter | Aug 20, 2010 |
I LOVE this book. It's very funny in a dry sort of way (which I like, but this really depends on what kind of humor you enjoy), plus it's a great adventure story and extremely interesting from a historical and also a religious/philosophical viewpoint. ( )
  saschabos | Jul 14, 2010 |
This is the tale of Monkey. A legend of the Chinese Monkey god, who causes all kinds of trouble before he finds enlightenment. ( )
  judychadwick | May 30, 2009 |

Part spiritual pilgrimage, part historical epic, the folk novel Journey to the West , which came to be known as Monkey, is the most popular classic of Asian literature. Originally written in the sixteenth century, it is the story of the adventures of the rogue-trickster Monkey and his encounters with a bizarre cast of characters as he travels to India with the Buddhist pilgrim Tripitaka in search of sacred scriptures. Much more than a picaresque adventure novel, Monkey is a profound allegory of the struggle that must occur before spiritual transformation is possible. David Kherdian's masterful telling brings this classic of Chinese literature to life in a way that is true to the scope and depth of the original.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,361,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible