Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (1947)

by Betty MacDonald

Series: Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (1)

Banned books:

Are you there God, its me, Margaret
Huckleberry Finn
Heather has two Mommies

Why are people wasting their time on those well meaning books when Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is still out there on shelves, unchallenged, messing with people's heads?! I read this odd little book when I was about eight and STILL have recurring nightmares about The Radish Cure. I just reread it today, trying to vanquish my fears, and now I'm afraid to go to sleep.

I will not go into details about The Radish Cure except to say that to this day the sight of mud on my skin freaks me out and I have a deep distrust of roots.

Bring on The Satanic Verses, but keep that Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle away from me! ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle when I was a kid! She is ever so much better than Mary Poppins and you can't pay me enough to read nanny mcphee. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
It was ok. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
Delightful! Fun to go back in time and remember my love of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
This has always been my favorite book. I love how it is written with such whimsical creativity. ( )
  Emathison | Apr 2, 2017 |

Knight, HilaryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anne, Joan, Mari, Salli Heidi, Darsie, Frankie and Stevie

who are perfect angels and couldn't possibly have been the inspiration for any of these stories.
I expect I might as well begin by telling you all about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle so that whenever I mention her name, which I do very often in this book, you will not interrupt and ask, "Who is Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle? What does she look like? How big is she? How old is she? What color is her hair? Is her hair long? Does she wear high heels? Does she have any children? Is there a Mr. Piggle-Wiggle?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064401480, Paperback)

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle has been wildly popular with children and adults for over 50 years. Children adore her because she understands them--and because her upside-down house is always filled with the smell of freshly baked cookies, and her backyard with buried treasure. Grownups love her because her magical common sense solutions to children's problems succeed when their own cajoling and yelling don't. For the child who refuses to bathe, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle recommends letting her be. Wait until the dirt on her body has accumulated to half an inch, then scatter radish seeds on her arms and head. When the plants start sprouting, the nonbather is guaranteed to change her mind about that bath.

Hilary Knight's (Eloise, Sunday Morning) delightful pictures provide lively, droll accompaniment to Betty MacDonald's refreshing stories. Whether Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is curing Answer-Backers or Slow-Eater-Tiny-Bite-Takers, her remedies always work like a charm. More than one parent over the years has surreptitiously turned to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle when Dr. Spock failed to come through. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

From her upside-down house, the eccentric Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle issues to parents her marvelous cures for such common children's diseases as Won't-Put-Away-Toys-itis, Answerbackism, and Fighter-Quarrelitis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,509,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible