Black Out by Lisa Unger

Black Out (2008)

by Lisa Unger

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The women in Before I Go To Sleep and Black Out are suffering from amnesia. They must piece together their identities in order to escape from threatening and disturbing forces at work in their lives.

An enjoyable read with a focus on mental illness, or at least the lead character could be said to be mentally ill along with some of ther other characters. The topic is not my favourite, however, the underlying story to this yarn was interesting. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
This was a gripping thriller with so many twists and turns that I'm still struggling with what was real and what wasn't. At first I struggled with the three main time frames - the present, the recent past and the deep past, but once I had them worked out I was captivated.

Annie is a vulnerable protagonist. She is mentally fragile and suffers from a dissociative disorder. Throughout the book her horrific, abusive past is revealed and, although now happily married with a four-year old daughter, her life is suddenly disrupted as her past comes back to haunt her.

A wonderful psychological thriller that had me hooked from the start. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Excellent mystery! I was interested in the story until the end, it was neither predictable nor boring. It was full of surprises and intrigue. A murder, a stolen identity, a past you can't escape, your protector is also your husband, a daughter named Victory with some question as to who her father is...I loved the book and will read more by this author. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Annie Powers is a married housewife living in Florida with her husband and young daughter. What people don't know is that Annie was once Ophelia March a teenage girl who accompanied Marlowe Geary on a killing spree across the U.S. Annie can't remember large patches of her past but she's afraid Marlowe has returned to claim her. The book had lots of twists and turns but was also somewhat confusing. I'm still not sure if some things were real or just in Annie's head. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Lisa Unger's novels are always entertaining, and this one, a psychological thriller where the reader has to question how much s/he is reading is fantasy or delusion and how much is the crazy truth. Story of a woman with a sad, tragic past, now happily married with a young daughter... until her past catches up with her. She spends much of the book on a journey to understanding her past and holding on to her present. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Nov 4, 2015 |
The fair Ophelia!--Nymph in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.
For Ocean Rae, Sophie, Lucy, Matilda, Zoe, and Josie, my daugher and the daughers of women I love and admire.
Today something interesting happened. I died.

When my mother named me Ophelia, she thought she was being literary. She didn’t realize she was being tragic.

On the surface, Annie Powers’s life in a wealthy Floridian suburb is happy and idyllic. Her husband, Gray, loves her fiercely; together, they dote on their beautiful young daughter, Victory. But the bubble surrounding Annie is pricked when she senses that the demons of her past have resurfaced and, to her horror, are now creeping up on her. These are demons she can’t fully recall because of a highly dissociative state that allowed her to forget the tragic and violent episodes of her earlier life as Ophelia March and to start over, under the loving and protective eye of Gray, as Annie Powers. Disturbing events—the appearance of a familiar dark figure on the beach, the mysterious murder of her psychologist—trigger strange and confusing memories for Annie, who realizes she has to quickly piece them together before her past comes to claim her future and her daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

A woman has to quickly piece together disturbing events--one of which is the murder of her psychologist--before her past comes to claim her future and her daughter.

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible