Black Out by Lisa Unger

Black Out (2008)

by Lisa Unger

426None24,926 (3.77)26
Recently added byjustpeachy, Swade0710, AnneBrooke, annbury, private library, Dureo, SusanneLeist

I started this book with high expectations but slowly I'm afraid I became increasingly disengaged from the story and indeed the heroine. There's something immensely irritating about Annie Powers and I never felt I was allowed to get beneath the surface of her character. I think it's something to do with the fact that there's a lot of telling and not very much showing the reader what's going on in this book. Not only that, but so many different things are going on in so many different timeframes and to so many different people (who might or might not be real) that after a while I started skipping, especially towards the end.

There is a grain or two of a really great story here, however. It's just a shame that it's overwritten, lots of information keeps being repeated in different forms, and it goes on far too long. A good hundred pages could have been lost with no real dent in the plot.

That said, I did actually think the ending is one of the most powerful things about it. I've seen comments from readers who are very annoyed about the ending - and I can very well understand why. However, for me, the ending did at last give a real and solid glimpse into the heart of Annie Powers, and so felt in that sense very satisfying indeed. Just a shame the rest of the novel couldn't have been the same. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Mar 13, 2014 |
Garbage. Badly written and totally confusing. Apparently the author wanted to know something about mentally ill people so she consulted a lot of shrinks. She would have been better off consulting a writing consultant.
My sister in law abandoned the book after an hour. ( )
  annbury | Feb 25, 2014 |
A while back I requested a Lisa Unger book as an ARC, but didn’t win it. She’s been on my radar since and when some copies of her books came my way, I made sure to read one. Although I think the plot was needlessly convoluted, it was a fun book to read. Changeable. Crazy. Shifting. Never knowing which way was up. Like I said, fun. Not in any way believable, but it’s fiction so you have to go with it.

Annie/Ophelia is sympathetic and oddly not sympathetic. She reminds you too much of Mallory in Natural Born Killers and because she’s such an unreliable narrator, it’s not hard to imagine she’s equally culpable in Marlowe’s crimes. Still her childhood is basically a nightmare and its not a surprise she lets herself become enslaved by Marlowe. Any port in a storm.

By the end, you’re feeling just as confused and betrayed as Annie. Everywhere you look are people behaving badly and lying. It’s off-putting and not everything is wrapped up tightly. Loose ends abound and I wonder if we’ll see Annie Ophelia again sometime when her friend Ella finally shows. ( )
  Bookmarque | Dec 2, 2013 |
Did not care for this one all that much. I finished it instead of giving up on it so I gave it 2 stars but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I didn't really like the main character. She had definite mental problems but her dissociative behavior and fugue states got redundant after a while. I did not feel suspense while reading this. I thought it was very drawn out. The flashbacks were necessary to the plot but were also distracting and took away from the pacing of the book. The book was very slow and quite boring in parts. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
This was the first time I have read one of Lisa`s books and I found that I enjoyed it. The first couple chapters were a little tough to get through but I found myself having a tough time putting the book down once I got into it. I`ll be looking for more of Lisa`s books to read just to see if they are as good. ( )
  askum | Oct 12, 2012 |
The fair Ophelia!--Nymph in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.
For Ocean Rae, Sophie, Lucy, Matilda, Zoe, and Josie, my daugher and the daughers of women I love and admire.
Today something interesting happened. I died.

When my mother named me Ophelia, she thought she was being literary. She didn’t realize she was being tragic.

On the surface, Annie Powers’s life in a wealthy Floridian suburb is happy and idyllic. Her husband, Gray, loves her fiercely; together, they dote on their beautiful young daughter, Victory. But the bubble surrounding Annie is pricked when she senses that the demons of her past have resurfaced and, to her horror, are now creeping up on her. These are demons she can’t fully recall because of a highly dissociative state that allowed her to forget the tragic and violent episodes of her earlier life as Ophelia March and to start over, under the loving and protective eye of Gray, as Annie Powers. Disturbing events—the appearance of a familiar dark figure on the beach, the mysterious murder of her psychologist—trigger strange and confusing memories for Annie, who realizes she has to quickly piece them together before her past comes to claim her future and her daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:16 -0400)

A woman has to quickly piece together disturbing events--one of which is the murder of her psychologist--before her past comes to claim her future and her daughter.

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible