Lúmski hnífurinn by Philip Pullman

Lúmski hnífurinn (original 1997; edition 2001)

by Philip Pullman, Anna Heiða Pálsdóttir (Translator), Margrét E. Laxness (Cover artist)

Series: His Dark Materials (2)

As the boundaries between worlds begin to dissolve, Lyra and her daemon help Will Parry in his search for his father and for a powerful, magical knife.
Member:johannrobin
Title:Lúmski hnífurinn
Authors:Philip Pullman
Other authors:Anna Heiða Pálsdóttir (Translator), Margrét E. Laxness (Cover artist)
Info:Reykjavík : Mál og Menning, 2001.

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (1997)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Leishai: Also a story about fantasy with another world
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (levasssp)
    levasssp: or any of the Dark Tower series...similarities include an ability to travel between different, but closely related, worlds through portals or doors. Additionally, there are themes of religion, good/bad and questions about "essence" that are similar in both series.… (more)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Leishai)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (299)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (310)
Pullman, Philip. The Subtle Knife. His Dark Materials No. 2. Knopf, 1997.
The quest to find a father in The Golden Compass morphs into a full-blown world-walking fantasy in The Subtle Knife. This time Lyra’s fellow-traveler Will is looking for a father figure. And Lyra has become an Eve figure and . . . Sigh. I am for sure too old for this. I like the idea of the knife that opens worlds, but I hate the allegorical way it breaks. Somehow, I think, Roger Zelazny did all this better with his trump cards in the Chronicles of Amber series. ( )
  Tom-e | Aug 18, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I finished the book last night and I still don't know what to say. I liked it. I liked a lot. But I feel that it didn't happen a lot in the story and like... its okay, is the middle book, is set up for all the stuff that's going to happen in the third. But still

I like Will, he's cute and I want to hug him. I like that he's the user of the subtle knife but I hope that he'll be more developed in the next one. I want to see him use the knife more and understand it more and more. I felt bad for him when he found his dad but didn't know it was him until he died.

Lyra is still the same. She didn't grow much but I like that she learned to control (a little) her impulsions of just do whatever she wants.

The one thing that really affect me was... LEE SCORESBY. WHY. God, I haven't even realize that I liked him so much until that last battle when I started to feel scare for him. Jesus, I think only when I read that chapter I realized that he was my favourite character lol but it's okay, I'll get over his dead... maybe...

I'm curious about the third book, if they would succeed, what the hell is going to happen and if Will will get a daimonion. I'm also curious of knowing what mine would be so I'll look for a test or something (?)
  Merlucito | Jul 30, 2020 |
Better than the first book. I liked the additional characters. The story is becoming more involved. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
The second book in Pullman’s ‘His dark materials’ trilogy requires much closer reading than the first and is also much darker in tone. It introduces us to Will Parry for the first time. Will is a lad of 12 who is trying to protect his mother from mysterious, threatening questioners. In addition he is trying to discover what has happened to his father who has been missing for around 10 years. In the course of his quest, Will accidentally stumbles across a window into another world. There he meets Lyra who has left her world through the rent that Lord Asriel made at the end of ‘Northern lights’. The worlds that Will and Lyra came from are similar to each other and both are controlled by the Magisterium, a religious organisation, and it emerges that Asriel’s aim is to destroy its power. After some initial antagonism and suspicion, Lyra and Will join forces to find their fathers.
Pullman recreates the three worlds and the various quests going on between the main protagonists with telling and contrasting details as the Magisterium and Mrs. Coulter chase and close in on Lyra and Will and also Asriel and John Parry. This makes for an absorbing, exciting and captivating tale as the advantage fluctuates between the groups.
  camharlow2 | Jul 9, 2020 |
J. R. R. Tolkien, the granddaddy of modern high fantasy, asserted that the best fantasy writing is marked by ''arresting strangeness.'' Philip Pullman measures up; his work is devilishly inventive. His worlds teem with angels, witches, humans, animal familiars, talking bears and Specters, creatures resembling deadly airborne jellyfish... Put Philip Pullman on the shelf with Ursula K. Le Guin, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander, at least until we get to see Volume 3.

Pullman, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterson, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rohmann, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tutino, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Will tugged at his mother's hand and said, "Come on, come on..." But his mother hung back.
“I’m only an ignorant aëronaut. I’m so damn ignorant I believed it when I was told that shamans had the gift of flight, for example. Yet here’s a shaman who hasn’t.”

“Oh, but I have.”

“How d’you make that out?”

The balloon was drifting lower, and the ground was rising. […]

“I needed to fly,” said Grumman, “so I summoned you, and here I am, flying.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,616,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible