An Italian Affair by Laura Fraser

An Italian Affair

by Laura Fraser

I really couldn't identify with a heroine who is devastated when her husband leaves her for another woman and so has an affair with a married man. Also, made me never want to computer date! ( )
  sly_wit | Mar 29, 2013 |
How sad that I didn't enjoy Fraser's book about love, Italy and lots of food and wine half as much as I did her book about the weight loss industry.

I do want to kick "Jon" in the nuts. Repeatedly. Just because.
  KaterinaBead | Sep 12, 2011 |
1607230 I had to drag myself through most of this book - the main reason was the endless You's. I found it incredibly irritating to have You in almost every sentence.I also failed to find much interest in the affairs of a woman who knowingly - especially after being cheated on - chose to have an affair with a married man regardless of what he says the circumstances of his marriage are. I can see the romance in a sweeping translantic kind of way but I really dislike infidelity as a lifestyle choice so couldn't involve myself in the story (particularly with the repetitive YOU)I'd give it 1 and a half stars ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |
I don't know what to make of this travel memoir. It was an enjoyable read on all the places she went. Then, meeting all those interesting people, which of course she had no difficulty. The problem I have with her is the off and on affair with a married man. Yes, the French professor admitted to her, that, his marriage life is not a happy one. Still, in my opinion bed hopping with this proffessor is absulately wrong. I wish she would calm down in searching for that elusive man of her dream. I must say, all the places she went and the food she ate are tantalizing. I sure wish, I could just board a plane heading somewhere on a whim just like her. If you like romance, adventure in an exotic place read this book. I wish she would use to describe her adventure in the first person. ( )
  bcBulan-Purnama | Jul 24, 2010 |
This is Laura Fraser's dreamy yet practical account of her affair with a married Frenchman, conducted on Italian islands, in Morocco, in San Francisco - basically anywhere they can meet when he has time to get away. I enjoyed it almost as much as her later memoir, All Over the Map. She and the professor have a tender yet clear-eyed relationship. There were also many funny travel stories. The only detraction was that it was told in the second person, which I mostly got used to. ( )
  bearette24 | Jul 1, 2010 |

When Laura Fraser's husband leaves her for his high school sweetheart, she takes off, on impulse, for Italy, hoping to leave some of her sadness behind. There, on the island of Ischia, she meets M., an aesthetics professor from Paris with an oversized love of life. What they both assume will be a casual vacation tryst turns into a passionate, transatlantic love affair, as they rendezvous in London, Marrakech, Milan, the Aeolian Islands, and San Francisco. Each encounter is a delirious immersion into place (sumptuous food and wine, dazzling scenery, lush gardens, and vibrant streetscapes) and into each other. And with each experience, Laura brings home not only a lasting sense of pleasure, but a more fully recovered sense of her emotional and sexual self. Written with an observant eye, an open mind, and a delightful sense of humor, An Italian Affair has the irresistible honesty of a story told from and about the heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:15 -0400)

"Both travelogue and memoir," writing in the second person, the author tells of her impulsive affair with an aesthetics professor from Paris.--Cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible