The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain by…

The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain (1957)

by Mark Twain

Other authors: Charles Neider (Introduction), Charles Neider (Editor)

A lot of material, and I chose to tackle it in chunks over a couple months because otherwise the stories got monotonous. There are some real gems among these 60: a hilarious lambast of Niagara tourism in "A Day at Niagara;" poking fun at feminine hysterics in "Experience of the McWilliamses with Membranous Croup;" a parody of justice and fairness in "Edward Mills and George Benton: A Tale;" and a comic dismantling of military honor in "Luck." I was particularly pleased with his later stories, as his pessimism and hostility toward mankind increased exponentially. "A Dog's Tale," "Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven," and the absolutely scathing "A Mysterious Stranger" are perhaps the best in the book, in large part because they stretch the bounds of Twain's traditional style. ( )
  blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |
To be honest, this was sort of a "desperation" book; one of many that I've picked up from the three for a dollar room at the Boston Book Annex, which is down the street.

At three for a buck I can pick up all sorts of odd books that I wouldn't normally try. The Twain book doesn't really fall into that category, of course; I've read a fair amount of Twain. But the thing about this edition was that it was over 600 pages long with small type; it was very compact.

Anyway, I grabbed the Twain collection (which also includes short stand-alone fiction taken from within longer novels and non-fiction books) because it was long, not too big (the paper is extremely thin and delicate), and would take a long time to read. I expected that it might be a little dull. Twain's language has dated a bit, after all. But the old boy has life in him yet.

I laughed out loud - loudly - more than once, and one story got me so choked up that I spent half an hour fighting back tears. Yes, I'm a big sap. No, I'm not going to tell you which story.

I was sorry when I came to the end of the book. It won't be long before I read it again. ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
Book Description: New York: Double Day & Co, 1957. Hard Cover. Very Fine/Very Fine Pictorial. GHBpp676 glossy and pictorial dj. Not a book club edition.
In very impressive condition! Tight binding; clean, crisp pages; DJ clean, bright
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
Twains technology stories; the burglar alarm are apt today... wonderful.
  grheault | Jun 10, 2009 |
Reviewed March - August 2000

As the title tells us this is Mark Twain’s entire collection of short stories written between 1865 and 1916. Some of his stories are wonderfully funny and witty. “Mrs. McWilliams and the Lightening,” “A Stolen White Elephant,” “The Diary of Adam and Eve,” “The Joke that Made Ed’s Fortune,” and the one story that made me cry, “A Dogs Tale.” A few more stunk, “The Mysterious Stranger,” and “A Horse’s Tale.” Several themes seem to run through Twain’s stories...the common man and the trouble he can get into, as well as, “let me tell you about a friend of mine...” He also spends a lot of time with Christian themes, odd because he was an atheist, maybe these stories were commissioned, but if I read with keen eye I notice that he pokes fun at the humor of the ideals of religious people as in, “Was it Heaven? Or Hell?,” or “Extract from Cpt. Stormfield’s Visit to Heaven.” Twain much have spent much time sitting around and listening to people tell stories about themselves, all the while thinking of how he was going to immortalize him into a story some day. I think Twain would have been a political humorist in our time constantly ridiculing our government’s red tape. Who knows? Twain seems to be an insightful clever man who I think privately laughed at all of us. ( )
1 vote sgerbic | May 8, 2008 |

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neider, CharlesEditormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neider, CharlesIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neider, CharlesEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
(Introduction by Charles Neider): Not long ago I happened to be reading Mark Twain's Roughing It, when I was piqued by his habit of inserting yarns of pure fiction into a non-fictional work, yarns tossed in just because they were good ones which he had in his head at the time.
In compliance with the request of a good friend of mine, who wrote me from the East, I called on good-natured, garrulous old Simon Wheeler, and inquired after my friend's friend, Leonidas W. Smiley, as requested to do, and I hereunto append the result.

Collects these stories:
"The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County"
"The Story of the Bad Little Boy"
"Cannibalism in the Cars"
"A Day at Niagara"
"Legend of the Capitoline Venus"
"Journalism in Tennessee"
"A Curious Dream"
"The Facts in the Great Beef Contract"
"How I Edited an Agricultural Paper"
"A Medieval Romance"
"My Watch"
"Political Economy"
"Science vs. Luck"
"The Story of the Good Little Boy"
"Buck Fanshaw's Funeral"
"The Story of the Old Ram"
"Tom Quartz"
"A Trial"
"The Trials of Simon Erickson"
"A True Story"
"Exerience of the McWilliamses with Membranous Croup"
"Some Learned Fables for Good Old Boys and Girls"
"The Canvasser's Tale"
"The Loves of Alonzo Fitz Clarence and Rosannah Ethelton"
"Edward Mills and George Benton: A Tale"
"The Man Who Put Up at Gadsby's"
"Mrs. McWilliams and the Lightning"
"What Stumped the Bluejays"
"A Curious Experience"
"An Invalid's Story"
"The McWilliamses and the Burglar Alarm"
"The Stolen White Elephant"
"A Burning Brand"
"A Dying Man's Confession"
"A Professor's Yarn"
"A Ghost Story"
"Luck"
"Playing Courier"
"The Californian's Tale"
"The Diary of Adam and Eve"
"The Esquimau Maiden's Romance"
"Is He Living or Is He Dead?"
"The £ 1,000,000 Bank-Note"
"Cecil Rhodes and the Shark"
"The Joke that Made Ed's Fortune"
"A Story Without an End"
"The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg"
"The Death Disk"
"Two Little Tales"
"The Belated Russian Passport"
"A Double-Barreled Detective Story"
"The Five Boons of Life"
"Was it Heaven? Or Hell?"
"A Dog's Tale"
"The $30,000 Bequest"
"A Horse's Tale"
"Hunting the Deceitful Turkey"
"Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven"
"A Fable"
"The Mysterious Stranger"
"Twain sure is folksy!"
(Reads Mysterious Stranger.)
"Didn't expect that!"

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211951, Mass Market Paperback)

For deft plotting, riotous inventiveness, unforgettable characters, and language that brilliantly captures the lively rhythms of American speech, no American writer comes close to Mark Twain. This sparkling anthology covers the entire span of Twain’s inimitable yarn-spinning, from his early broad comedy to the biting satire of his later years.

Every one of his sixty stories is here: ranging from the frontier humor of “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” to the bitter vision of humankind in “The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg,” to the delightful hilarity of “Is He Living or Is He Dead?” Surging with Twain’s ebullient wit and penetrating insight into the follies of human nature, this volume is a vibrant summation of the career of–in the words of H. L. Mencken–“the father of our national literature.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:20 -0400)

Gathers all sixty of Twains stories, including tall tales, mysteries, sketches, and tales of travel

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,242,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible