dismiss

A Million Little Pieces

by James Frey

Series: Million Little Pieces (1)

A memoir of drug and alcohol abuse and the rehabilitation experience examines addiction and recovery through the eyes of a man who had taken his addictions to deadly extremes, describing the battle to confront the consequences of his life.
    The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren (GYKM)
    GYKM: National Book Award winner that doesn't play the cult of personality game by claiming this to be anything other than a novel.
    The Cradle of the Deep by Joan Lowell (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another memoir that caused a stir when it turned out to be fictitious.
    A Piece of Cake: A Memoir by Cupcake Brown (Katie_H)
    The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames (InvisiblerMan)
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Crazy lives
    Tweak by Nic Sheff (tashtashtash)
    Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill (sushidog)
    Goat: A Memoir by Brad Land (SqueakyChu)
    Somewhere Carnal over Forty Winks by Rom LcO'Feer (SoftFooted)

English (220)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (223)
Personally I don't care that this turned out to be a work of fiction; it is still a good read. I'm actually more impressed with him not actually going through all that and doing research on it than if it would have been a true story. The part about when he went to the dentist actually made my mouth hurt. It was tough to read at times, and certain characters pissed me off, but it was well worth it. ( )
  Deb.Evanson | Aug 30, 2019 |
A woman sitting next to me on an airplane had this book. I had never heard of it. She told me to read a few pages. I read a chapter. After, she told me that Mr. Frey had made "some of the story up". Still, I felt compelled to read it. I got a copy.

Frey's writing was so choppy with run-on sentences, making it a little difficult to read. Yet read it I did. I couldn't put it down even though I knew some facts were skewed. I knew something was wrong when Frey told of going to the dentist, have teeth pulled and root canals performed with no anesthetic or pain medication. This is something that would NEVER happen regardless of such incidences as drug and alcohol abuse.

However, as more of the story unfolds events are more "real" for this reader. Frey's camaraderie with others in the facility is often found in a variety of treatment facilities, be it drugs/alcohol, PTSD, depression and the like.

Comfort is found in forming these friendships and from what I have been told these are lifelong friendships.

Speaking of friendships, Frey's "relationship" with Lily should never have happened. Even though I get it, rehab is not Match.com and I have been told by a reformed alcoholic that one should never seek out a relationship with someone who has drug/alcohol problems. They just feed off one another. No idea if that is true or not. Keep those cards and letters coming!

Having said all that, Frey's book was one that I could not put down. I had to see it to the end. I must add that the ending was anti-climatic. I guess I just expected more.

This one I have given 4 stars, why I have no earthly idea. Guess I felt bad for Frey getting busted for making stuff up and then having to go on Oprah and offer himself up, recanting some of what he had written. I certainly wouldn't want to face off with Oprah!

Forgot.....This one is all me. No plagiarism, paraphrasing or the like.

My favorite quote from [b:A Million Little Pieces|1241|A Million Little Pieces|James Frey|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1483206985s/1241.jpg|3140930] “Be strong. Live honorably and with dignity. When you don't think you can, hold on.” ( )
  Griselda58 | Aug 27, 2019 |
I had heard about this book when it hit the Oprah's Book Club list.... then I heard about it again when the "truth" was "revealed".... that it wasn't actually a memoir, as touted, but a work of fiction... ooh! the CONTROVERSY!!!!

I picked it up at a book sale or in a bargain bin about a year ago, having always been curious about it. Yes, I knew it was a work of fiction, or at least more fiction than truth... but I was still interested in the actual story.
I'm glad I finally started reading it--it was REALLY intense and very interesting. Regardless of whether or not it's a true story, it was very, VERY good! I was immediately sucked into James' story. I'm incredibly curious about the Road to Recovery for addicts, and this, to me, was a clear picture of how difficult and harrowing it can be. There were a lot of things I'm sure happen to some people, in reality, and they were naked and scary and ugly and painful. I appreciated that candor. I also appreciated, by way of reading this story, how lucky I am to have missed these problems. It became clear to me, once again, that addiction can hit anyone at any time, regardless of class, race, upbringing, values, etc.

I think everyone should read this! ( )
  trayceetee | Jul 28, 2019 |
2006
  SandyDawn | Jul 14, 2019 |
I thought it was a great book. It gave some insight into the drug world and addiction and how badly some are controlled by it unfortunately. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |

James Freyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corral, RodrigoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

The Young Man came to the Old Man seeking counsel.
I broke something, Old Man.
How badly is it broken?
It's in a million little pieces.
I'm afraid I can't help you.

Why?

There's nothing you can do.
It can't be fixed.
Why?
It's broken beyond repair. It's in a million little pieces.
I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin.

James Frey wakes up on a plane, with no memory of the preceding two weeks. His face is cut and his body is covered with bruises. He has no wallet and no idea of his destination. He has abused alcohol and every drug he can lay his hands on for a decade -- and he is aged only twenty-three. What happens next is one of the most powerful and extreme stories ever told. His family takes him to a rehabilitation centre. And James Frey starts his perilous journey back to the world of the drug and alcohol-free living. His lack of self-pity is unflinching and searing. A Million Little Pieces is a dazzling account of a life destroyed and a life reconstructed. It is also the introduction of a bold and talented literary voice.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,599,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible