A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

A Million Little Pieces (edition 2005)

by James Frey

7,943207411 (3.49)118
Member:poetreegirl
Title:A Million Little Pieces
Authors:James Frey
Info:Anchor (2005), Edition: 1, Paperback, 448 pages

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

English (204)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (206)
um, Oprah? Did you really think that a drug addict could write a book about his addiction and write it word for word? No, he couldn't have, but this book is very accurate about the depths of addiction, from what I have seen as a lawyer and human. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I know there's been a lot of talking about how Frey exaggerated and bent the truth and all that, but I don't really care if it's real or not. It was convincing, and that's all that matters for me. I seriously love his writing technique so much, it intrigues me when authors bend on the "rules of writing" to make their own rules. It also deeply convinced me and took my breath away. One of my favorite books. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Excellent story!! Crap writing!! I have no clue how this book got so popular and got such good reviews with such bad writing. Take out the constant repetitions and the book could be cut in half. Then I find out the story wasn't a memoir like first stated and I felt really let down. Boooo to liers!! This author should be ashamed!! ( )
  yahscott | Mar 7, 2016 |
I knew that Oprah had this book on her Book Club list; I knew she had interviewed James Frey three times; I knew that there was controversy; I knew that the supposed memoir wasn't actually that; I was curious . . . so I read the book. I am glad that I did. From the start, it didn't feel like a memoir, it felt like a novel with intriguing characters who had significant flaws. At the end of the book, I felt that James Frey had taken all his experiences, those he had witnessed and those he imagined and gave them to the characters he met in rehab and to his main character. I really loved all the characters, and I enjoyed the telling of his thoughts during his recovery. His philosophy gave me a chance to think, and I find myself continuing to think about the book and what it is saying now that I have finished it. I am not overly concerned about the controversy or what is real in the book - I liked it. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
Made up or not, I don't care; I love this book.

Written in a unique style, this page turner tells the story of a drug addict and his journey to get clean.

I was addicted. ( )
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
The Young Man came to the Old Man seeking counsel.
I broke something, Old Man.
How badly is it broken?
It's in a million little pieces.
I'm afarid I can't help you.

Why?

There's nothing you can do.
It can't be fixed.
Why?
It's broken beyond repair. It's in a million little pieces.
I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin.

James Frey wakes up on a plane, with no memory of the preceding two weeks. His face is cut and his body is covered with bruises. He has no wallet and no idea of his destination. He has abused alcohol and every drug he can lay his hands on for a decade -- and he is aged only twenty-three. What happens next is one of the most powerful and extreme stories ever told. His family takes him to a rehabilitation centre. And James Frey starts his perilous journey back to the world of the drug and alcohol-free living. His lack of self-pity is unflinching and searing. A Million Little Pieces is a dazzling account of a life destroyed and a life reconstructed. It is also the introduction of a bold and talented literary voice.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307276902, Paperback)

Book Description
At the age of 23, James Frey woke up on a plane to find his front teeth knocked out and his nose broken. He had no idea where the plane was headed nor any recollection of the past two weeks. An alcoholic for ten years and a crack addict for three, he checked into a treatment facility shortly after landing. There he was told he could either stop using or die before he reached age 24. This is Frey’s acclaimed account of his six weeks in rehab.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 2 6 3 5 4 5 2 3 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:50331648 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:TimesNewRomanPS; mso-font-alt:"Courier New"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:TimesNewRomanPS; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Courier; mso-hansi-font-family:Courier;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Amazon.com Review
The electrifying opening of James Frey's debut memoir, A Million Little Pieces, smash-cuts to the then 23-year-old author on a Chicago-bound plane "covered with a colorful mixture of spit, snot, urine, vomit and blood." Wanted by authorities in three states, without ID or any money, his face mangled and missing four front teeth, Frey is on a steep descent from a dark marathon of drug abuse. His stunned family checks him into a famed Minnesota drug treatment center where a doctor promises "he will be dead within a few days" if he starts to use again, and where Frey spends two agonizing months of detox confronting "The Fury" head on:

I want a drink. I want fifty drinks. I want a bottle of the purest, strongest, most destructive, most poisonous alcohol on Earth. I want fifty bottles of it. I want crack, dirty and yellow and filled with formaldehyde. I want a pile of powder meth, five hundred hits of acid, a garbage bag filled with mushrooms, a tube of glue bigger than a truck, a pool of gas large enough to drown in. I want something anything whatever however as much as I can.

One of the more harrowing sections is when Frey submits to major dental surgery without the benefit of anesthesia or painkillers (he fights the mind-blowing waves of "bayonet" pain by digging his fingers into two old tennis balls until his nails crack). His fellow patients include a damaged crack addict with whom Frey wades into an ill-fated relationship, a federal judge, a former championship boxer, and a mobster (who, upon his release, throws a hilarious surf-and-turf bacchanal, complete with pay-per-view boxing). In the book's epilogue, when Frey ticks off a terse update on everyone, you can almost hear the Jim Carroll Band's brutal survivor's lament "People Who Died" kicking in on the soundtrack of the inevitable film adaptation.

The rage-fueled memoir is kept in check by Frey's cool, minimalist style. Like his steady mantra, "I am an Alcoholic and I am a drug Addict and I am a Criminal," Frey's use of repetition takes on a crisp, lyrical quality which lends itself to the surreal experience. The book could have benefited from being a bit leaner. Nearly 400 pages is a long time to spend under Frey's influence, and the stylistic acrobatics (no quotation marks, random capitalization, left-aligned text, wild paragraph breaks) may seem too self-conscious for some readers, but beyond the literary fireworks lurks a fierce debut. --Brad Thomas Parsons

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

A memoir of drug and alcohol abuse and the rehabilitation experience examines addiction and recovery through the eyes of a man who had taken his addictions to deadly extremes, describing the battle to confront the consequences of his life.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,913,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible