The Craggy Hole in My Heart by Geneen Roth

The Craggy Hole in My Heart

by Geneen Roth

This is the kind of book that tempts me into being hugely snarky and not nice so beware. I have a friend who is a huge cat lover (animal lover in general) and if anything would tempt her into reading a non-fiction book, it's this kind of book. Only one thing she says bothers her about this kind of book--and that's when the book really turns out to be all about Me! Me! Me! and not really all that much about the cat. (Boy am I glad I checked this out before say, getting it for her for Christmas.) I also think she wouldn't be peachy about how this lady took care of her cat, the twenty-pound "Miss Blanche," in several respects, but I'll spare you that very long rant.

I will say I probably should have had a HUGE clue this book wasn't for me when I found it not under Nature or Pets, but in the "Self-Help" section and read on the back about how Roth writes books on food addiction and that her main claim to fame is that she's appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show. Can we say trite Hallmark Card pop psychology? Yes we can! I have rarely found myself so absolutely annoyed by the (whiny) voice of an author. I was impatient to speed through the 50-page mark I hold myself to in order to feel I've been fair to a book. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 1, 2012 |
Anyone who loves cats can't help but love this heartwarming true story of a cat who healed his owner's heart. ( )
  RiverWitch | Sep 23, 2008 |
I thought this book was about a cat - and it was. But it was so much more. I really enjoyed Ms. Roth's exploration of how she learned to open her heart to love. Too many of us hide behind walls in order to keep ourselves safe from emotional pain. It takes courage and faith to pull those walls down - but the rewards are amazing. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 15, 2008 |
A sweet, uplifting book about loving humans, felines and ourselves. Best when read with 1 or 2 favorite kitties on your lap... ( )
  Lcwilson45 | May 19, 2007 |
To my mother, Ruth Wiggs, For love
When my friend Sally called to tell me that I needed a kitten, and fortunately, her cat Pumpkin was pregnant, I said no, absolutely not.
My mother threw things and cried, but my dad was soft as a cloud, and I twirled myself like a vine around his silvery love.

Geneen Roth is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible