The Doll People by Ann M. Martin

The Doll People (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Ann M. Martin, Laura Godwin, Brian Selznick

Member:Cyradis42
Title:The Doll People
Authors:Ann M. Martin
Other authors:Laura Godwin, Brian Selznick
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2000), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages

The Doll People by Ann M. Martin (2000)

The Mennyms by Sylvia Waugh (jrbeach)
    jrbeach: Life size rag dolls, who are alive.

A chapter book about a family of dolls living in a doll house that can walk, talk, and function. It can show students about story line, relatable content, and easy reading. ( )
  Danielle_Rojas | Nov 26, 2018 |
Book that shows us what happens when we go to sleep?. Our dolls come to life. The story is about the Doll family a group of Victorian era doll house dolls. They are really living dolls who move around while we sleep or are away. In this book the Dolls meet a new family, the little sister has gotten a doll house of her own. The house as well as the dolls are all plastic, very different from what the china Victorian dolls are accustomed to. The little girl dolls from both families become best friends and share a few adventures together in this book. They have to rescue Father Doll who got kidnapped by the cat. Also they search for Auntie Doll who has been missing for almost 45 years. Got this as I had seen the sequel first and it looked interesting and my mother is a doll collector. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Apr 28, 2018 |
Families--Fiction. Porcelain dolls--Fiction. Houses--Fiction. Hundred years--Fiction. Plastic dolls--Fiction. Doll Code of Honor--Fiction.
  brudder | Feb 2, 2018 |
The Doll People is one of my favorite books because it is interesting, creative and has a mysterious aspect of it. This story is about a family of dolls living in a dollhouse except they are living, talking and can move around. The main character is an 8 year old doll, who is constantly looking for adventures and ends up trying to solve the mystery of her missing aunt Sara. Using her aunts old diary, she winds up getting herself in a sticky situation. This book is great for children in grades 3rd through 6th because of its storyline, relatable content, and easy reading. I would highly recommend this book for any teacher library or for any child to read. ( )
  Kailynevans | Nov 14, 2017 |
I loved this book so much when I was little!! The first time I read it I was in fourth grade. The main character in this book is Annabelle, she has been a doll for one hundred years and is still eight years old. Her aunt has been missing for a long time and Annabelle finds her journal. Annabelle wants to find her aunt and makes new friends to help her. It's an amazing chapter book that will keep you hooked until the end! You won't know if she finds her aunt or not unless you read this book! ( )
  Sthefania | Jan 27, 2017 |

Ann M. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Godwin, LauraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Selznick, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate and James
and for all our nieces and nephews:
Brett

For my nephews:
Brennan
Dillan
---B.S.
It had bee forty-five years since Annabelle Doll had last seen Auntie Sarah.
Annabelle felt a tremendous sense of relief, as if something very heavy had been lifted from her heart. "So if I did (italics) disappear, you would (italics) come looking for me? Even if you were a little afraid? I mean, if you thought something awful had happened and I wouldn't be returned by Kate or someone in a few days?"
"Oh, yes. Yes, of course, Annabelle."
Annabelle leaned forward and hugged her mother.
(pp. 229-230)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786812400, Paperback)

Annabelle Doll is 8 years old--and has been for over 100 years. Nothing much has changed in the dollhouse during that time, except for the fact that 45 years ago, Annabelle's Auntie Sarah disappeared from the dollhouse without a trace. After all this time, restless Annabelle is becoming more and more curious about her aunt's fate. And when she discovers Auntie Sarah's old diary, she becomes positively driven. Her cautious family tries to discourage her, but Annabelle won't be stopped, even though she risks Permanent Doll State, in which she could turn into a regular, nonliving doll. And when the "Real Pink Plastic" Funcraft family moves in next door, the Doll family's world is turned upside down--in more ways than one!

Fans of The Borrowers and Stuart Little will love this exciting story of adventure and mystery. The relationship between the two doll families, one antique, one modern, is hilariously, wonderfully drawn. The Funcrafts are reckless and raucous, with fearlessness born of their unbreakable plastic parts. The Doll family is reserved and somewhat prim, even though they occasionally break into '60s tunes like "Respect" in their sing-alongs. Annabelle is a heroine with integrity and gumption. Ann Martin (The Babysitters Club series) and Laura Godwin create a witty, intriguing tale, illustrated with humor and a clever eye for detail by Brian Selznick. (Ages 7 to 11) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

A family of porcelain dolls that has lived in the same house for one hundred years is taken aback when a new family of plastic dolls arrives and doesn't follow The Doll Code of Honor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,824,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible