The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

The Egypt Game (original 1967; edition 2009)

by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Alton Raible (Illustrator)

Member:Quispy
Title:The Egypt Game
Authors:Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Other authors:Alton Raible (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum (2009), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (1967)

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book for Egypt fanatics! This book is about Theo, the daughter of two museum curators who specialize in Egyptian artifacts. Most nights Theo hangs out at the museum with her dad while her mom travels abroad to dig for more treasures. The story starts off with Theo and her dad opening a package from her mom, and Theo is anxious to see what's inside-not just out of curiosity, but because half the items her mom ships to the museum are riddled with ancient curses, and Theo is the only one who can sense them. It's up to her to protect her parents and the other members of the museum, especially when a mysterious man starts lurking about with his eyes on a rare item.… (more)
    The Gypsy Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (Hollerama)

So I'm pulling this off of my classroom shelf; 6th grade is definitely as old as one should be to enjoy this one. I had really loved this in 5th grade, as far as I could remember, and I inherited this copy from another teacher in my classroom. After my 5th-grade boy loved Riordan's The Red Pyramid, I thought (but am now smacking myself in the forehead) that he may enjoy reading this with me.

We're absolutely spoiled. The short, suspenseful, action-packed chapters in a year's worth of Riordan adventures has made everything else boring, perhaps. I hate to admit this, but I kept feeling like NOTHING WAS HAPPENING in this book! NOTHING! We persevered, thinking that surely something will happen soon, and the book IS, after all, OKAY..... Yeah, it's cool how the girls play...but that's about it. Yes, in hindsight, things did happen in this book. A lot, actually. If one were to write a synopsis of the plot, it seems like it would be much more entertaining than it is. I'm undecided as to whether the problem was the writing or pacing in the book, the fact that I'm an adult now, the fact that my son is so definitely not the 5th grade girl that I was, or if the problem was simply that we're accustomed to high-paced, shallow, unrealistic action sequences. He recently read both Freak and Max the Mighty, which are also realistic fiction, and he loved that. So I can't explain why this was such a drag. I'd love to hear the reaction of a girl currently in the fifth grade; does this book still have magic?

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I loved this book when I first read it as a child. I made my Mama read it because I thought it was so wonderful. I greatly enjoyed it again as an adult. I think this is maybe the third or fourth time I've read it. My book group liked it a lot too. Egypt Game sparked quite a lively discussion and we had a terrific evening discussing Ms Snyder's fabulous storytelling, the emergence of "problem books", Berkeley in the '60s, childhood memories and more. A couple of us are ready to get a copy of The Gypsy Game to find out what happens next. ( )
  njcur | Jun 27, 2015 |
Exciting and thoughtful. I don't know why Snyder isn't still popular - I loved her work as a girl and still do. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Fantastic read with children at bedtime. I love to share Newbery Awards and Honors book with my girls that way. The Gypsy Game is now on our list to read. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
This incredible book is about six enthusiastic kids who really enjoy reading anything and everything related to Egypt. It starts off with two main characters named Melanie and April. They first meet when April moves into an apartment building. They then become best friends after they discover they both like Egypt. Second, they start meeting together after school behind a very old antique shop to play a game they created that they call, the “Egypt game”.

Melanie’s little brother, Marshall, picks a card that gives him the title of the Pharaoh. Then, whose name is Elizabeth convinces Melanie and April. On Halloween night, the groups of young Egyptologists walk together behind the antique shop to play instead of going Trick-Or-Treating. While they are in the middle of a pretend Egyptian ceremony, the 2 meanest bullies named Toby and Ken discover them and threaten to reveal the girl’s secret game and where they play it to the teachers. Then, Melanie and April propose to Ken and Toby to join in exchange for keeping the secret. This immediately sparks Ken’s interest because he loves Egypt, and he also convinces Toby to agree. There is a professor who works at an antique store. On Christmas Eve, they play the Egypt game behind his store. All the players first meet at April’s house. The professor tells a story about how he has been watching them play over the past year and how he helped Marshall’s stuffed octopus, Security, by leaving him in a dry place when Marshall left it in the backyard a rainy night

I like this book because it is about creative kids using what they like and make making it real. I think that they are very opened minded and very inventive.

My favorite character is Marshall because of his sensitive mind. He was concerned and worried about Security when he lost Security behind the shop on the rainy day. Marshall is very disappointed and imagines that Security is going to get wet, get ruined, get sick or even get lost. Even though Security is just a stuffed toy, Marshall is very attached to the toy.

I would rate this book 8 out of 10. ( )
  AB4Books | Jan 8, 2015 |

Zilpha Keatley Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frankland, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raible, AltonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago in a large university town in California, on a street called Orchard Avenue, a strange old man ran a dusty shabby store.

When Melanie Ross and April Hall begin to play the Egypt Game, everyone thinks it’s just a game until strange things begin happening to the players. Has the Egypt Game gone too far?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

A group of children, entranced with the study of Egypt, play their own Egypt game, are visited by a secret oracle, become involved in a murder, and befriend the Professor before they move on to new interests, such as Gypsies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,038,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible