The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

The Egypt Game (original 1967; edition 2009)

by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Alton Raible (Illustrator)

Member:Quispy
Title:The Egypt Game
Authors:Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Other authors:Alton Raible (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum (2009), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (1967)

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book for Egypt fanatics! This book is about Theo, the daughter of two museum curators who specialize in Egyptian artifacts. Most nights Theo hangs out at the museum with her dad while her mom travels abroad to dig for more treasures. The story starts off with Theo and her dad opening a package from her mom, and Theo is anxious to see what's inside-not just out of curiosity, but because half the items her mom ships to the museum are riddled with ancient curses, and Theo is the only one who can sense them. It's up to her to protect her parents and the other members of the museum, especially when a mysterious man starts lurking about with his eyes on a rare item.… (more)
    The Gypsy Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (Hollerama)

Some schoolchildren come upon an empty lot behind a thrift shop where they find an old bust of Nefertiti. This sparks their imagination and they begin pretending they are priests and priestesses of ancient Egypt. There's some mild drama here and there, but mostly it's just about kids playing make believe. It's something I would have liked as a kid, but as an adult it was all nostalgia. My friends and I were obsessed with playing make-believe. We were known to dress up in costumes and pretend to be Greek gods and goddesses, or invent convoluted stories acted out on the playground during recess. I have no idea if a modern kid would like this book, but my inner child sure did. ( )
  melydia | Jul 29, 2016 |
Things I liked:

1) It's a story set in a college town in California. I'm thinking it's Berkeley, although Snyder never names it in the story.

2) Snyder deftly navigates the subtleties of childhood relationships, including the awkward things we do as children (and as adults) when we're feeling uncertain of ourselves and our place in the world. This felt a little Harriet the Spy-ish.

3) The group of friends is diverse in age, race, family constellation, and economic background but while the characters and the narrator remark upon these differences at times, they're not the primary focus of the story.

4) Marshall. That kid kicks butt, and my kids agree.

Things I didn't like:

1) It was a little boring at times. Maybe this is because I half-listened to the audiobook before I finished the book-book.

2) The ending was...anti-climactic. But then, what do I expect? I think it was in Huckleberry Finn (or maybe Tom Sawyer?) where Mark Twain talks about the difficulty of picking a spot to end a story about a child because childhood just keeps on going (pardon my fumbling and un-fact-checked paraphrase). Maybe that difficulty is the root of some of my discontent with the ending of The Egypt Game.

Things I found interesting but kind of neutral:

1) I never thought of making an Egyptian crown out of a bleach bottle. Genius, but I'd have to be a way awesomer mom to attempt it.

2) Does the climax remind anyone else of To Kill a Mockingbird? I won't go into detail because I'm married to someone who hates spoilers and has left me very nervous about accidentally spoiling stories (What happened to the Titanic, you ask? I won't be the one to tell you), but it just reminded me of that one part in Harper Lee's book.

Bottom line:

This was a solid book. My kids and I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow my mind. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Apr 28, 2016 |
April has a movie star for a mom. When she has to move to a small city with her grandma she is really upset. She makes a friend named Melanie. They only have one thing in common, they love ancient Egypt. They make a game called the Egypt game but mysterious things start to happen. What will happen in the Egypt game?
I liked this book because of all the humor and mystery. I actually enjoyed reading some of the words they used. The characters were also very funny. I recommend this book to people who like ancient Egypt and humor in writing. ( )
  ditani | Apr 16, 2016 |
My kids are enjoying this audiobook, but I'm not a fan of the narration. It's too slow and lacking in animation to hold my interest. I thought I didn't like the story, but when left the audio to the kids and started reading the book on my own, I enjoyed it much more. Review of the non-audio book to follow. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Mar 24, 2016 |
A ragtag group of children form a secret society, complete with an oracular statue, in an abandoned lot. To this day, I eye abandoned lots in the hopes of having my own Egypt Game. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Zilpha Keatley Snyderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankland, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raible, AltonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago in a large university town in California, on a street called Orchard Avenue, a strange old man ran a dusty shabby store.

When Melanie Ross and April Hall begin to play the Egypt Game, everyone thinks it’s just a game until strange things begin happening to the players. Has the Egypt Game gone too far?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

A group of children, entranced with the study of Egypt, play their own Egypt game, are visited by a secret oracle, become involved in a murder, and befriend the Professor before they move on to new interests, such as Gypsies.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,632,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible