The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

The Egypt Game (original 1967; edition 2009)

by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Alton Raible (Illustrator)

2,620362,284 (3.8)51
Member:Quispy
Title:The Egypt Game
Authors:Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Other authors:Alton Raible (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum (2009), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (1967)

Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by E. L. Konigsburg (infiniteletters)
    From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book for Egypt fanatics! This book is about Theo, the daughter of two museum curators who specialize in Egyptian artifacts. Most nights Theo hangs out at the museum with her dad while her mom travels abroad to dig for more treasures. The story starts off with Theo and her dad opening a package from her mom, and Theo is anxious to see what's inside-not just out of curiosity, but because half the items her mom ships to the museum are riddled with ancient curses, and Theo is the only one who can sense them. It's up to her to protect her parents and the other members of the museum, especially when a mysterious man starts lurking about with his eyes on a rare item.… (more)
    The Gypsy Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (Hollerama)

I remember reading this book for the first time in 6th grade, my teacher had done it with an Egypt Unit because Egypt was one of her favorite places and even now I think this book would be an excellent addition to a unit such as that because it has cultural aspects but is still fast paced and interesting for children, more so than a history book.
  Phay_Mahony | Sep 1, 2013 |
A young girl, April, moves into a new neighborhood after her actress mother decides to leave her with her grandmother. April finds a kindred spirit in her neighbor Melanie when they realize they are both fascinated by Egyptian culture. They create a game based on their interest and soon other kids join in the fun. All the while a local tragedy has everyone on edge.

I think I probably would have loved this one as a kid. Unfortunately I just read it for the first time. I still enjoyed it, but the fantastical elements of creating a world from your imagination wasn’t quite as powerful as an adult.

I loved that this story encourages kids to use their imaginations instead of relying only on TV and set games for entertainment. Embracing a different culture and learning about their traditions is a great lesson as well.

BOTTOM LINE: A good kids' chapter book with a few scary parts. A great focus on using your imagination. ( )
  bookworm12 | Aug 29, 2013 |
When April moves in with her grandmother, she expects it will be quite boring - she is afterall, the daughter of a movie star. Soon though, April and her neighbor Melanie are spending most afternoons in a vacant lot playing "Egypt" - they have costumes, names, rituals, and have even involved Melanie's little brother Marshall as the prince of Egypt. Soon their game must stop because a child in the neighborhood has died...can the girls safely go back to Egypt or are they closer to the kidnapper there?

I LOVED the imagination in this book - I got very caught up in their rituals and stories and started to wonder if the book was partially fantasy and the girls actually got some of it to work. So clever, but a little scary with the death of a neighborhood child (at the hands of another neighbor). ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 19, 2013 |
A few years ago I undertook to read Zilpha Keatley Snyder's entire body of work, motivated in part by the fact that although she is an extraordinarily talented and prolific author, I had only read two of her books as a child. One of these was The Changeling, a book that has relentlessly haunted me from the time I first read it. This was the other.

Snyder's fourth book - which won a Newbery Honor - follows the story of two young girls, April and Melanie, whose unlikely friendship leads to the revelation that they are both fascinated by ancient Egypt, and to the creation of "the Egypt Game." Soon they are joined by other children, and the game begins to take on a life of its own. When eerie things begin to happen, the friends find themselves wondering if it is a game at all...

I can remember racing through this novel as a child, completely ensnared by Snyder's suspenseful plot; hoping, in fact, for a more supernatural explanation than the one eventually given. I could not have articulated then just why this book (and The Changeling) exercised such a powerful effect upon me. Reading as an adult however, I recognize Snyder's keen understanding of the role of the imagination in the lives of children - the games they create, the "daydreams" that give meaning to their lives. She understands the power of the child's inner life, and is never condescending towards "childish" things. I think I must also have found it refreshing to read a story with such a matter-of-fact interracial friendship, in which race itself was not the predominant concern.

Like many of Snyder's early novels, The Egypt Game is illustrated by Alton Raible. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Jul 1, 2013 |
This one was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I remember reading it in the 6th grade with one of my best friends. We were already obsessed with Egypt and this just added to our repertoire of games to be played. That is until our mothers found out about the game and were certain that we were worshiping ancient deities...

The book was just as I had remembered it, amazing. It still held my attention and still made me think fondly of my own adventure *in* Egypt.

I learned first hand about stranger danger from this book and why you shouldn't go off with strangers. I remember my mother always telling me to not talk to strangers and such because it was bad, but she never explained to me why it was bad, I mean I had an idea but it was so foreign. However when I read this book I saw that there are people who are just sick and who are out to hurt kids.

I learned about friendships and how sometimes, if you're lucky, you will have a friend who is a weird as you. And that sometimes the people who you initially didn't like may come around later. I think I learned a lot of valuable life lessons from this book by accident. So for that it was always remain one of my all time favorites! ( )
  Amanda.Richards | Apr 9, 2013 |

Zilpha Keatley Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frankland, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raible, AltonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago in a large university town in California, on a street called Orchard Avenue, a strange old man ran a dusty shabby store.

When Melanie Ross and April Hall begin to play the Egypt Game, everyone thinks it’s just a game until strange things begin happening to the players. Has the Egypt Game gone too far?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:44 -0400)

A group of children, entranced with the study of Egypt, play their own Egypt game, are visited by a secret oracle, become involved in a murder, and befriend the Professor before they move on to new interests, such as Gypsies.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,338,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible