The Long Secret ( The Further Adventures of…

The Long Secret ( The Further Adventures of Harriet the Spy ) (original 1965; edition 1980)

by Louise Fitzhugh

Member:jeidai
Title:The Long Secret ( The Further Adventures of Harriet the Spy )
Authors:Louise Fitzhugh
Info:Yearling (1980), Paperback
Collections:Children's, Your library

The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh (1965)

"Oh great, a first menstruation book."

That is about what I thought, rolling my eyes, when I was fairly into the book, but really that kind of exasperation is not only unfair, it does little justice to the substance of The Long Secret. I'll pause to allow indignant people to remind me that it's a great part of the substance of the book, a milestone towards the end of childhood and underlying Beth Ellen's uncertainty about herself, the future, the world, God. The girl has a lot on her plate. Fitzhugh is more subtle in this book, which takes some of the fun away, perhaps, but it was fun to explore just how awful it would be to have Harriet the Spy for a friend in a turbulent time. And how wonderful.

Janie makes an important appearance as well, coming off exactly the way a scientifically-minded friend should instead of as a mad scientist caricature. The swan was a lovely touch.

But I had started about the substance of the book, Beth Ellen is outwardly secretive, but much more open inside her head (on most things anyway) so I felt I "knew" her much better than I did Harriet, and Fitzhugh doesn't overwrite the passages where she confronts her fears or muses while riding her bicycle. For key scenes Harriet is at the center of the action to commentate as only she can. She is as inquisitive and bossy as ever by the way, and meets her temporary match in the form of an over-mannered Southern girl.

In no way does it disappoint, I only didn't get as much gleeful fun out of it. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Read during Spring 2004

It was a few years back when I read Harriet the Spy so I can't recall if I found Harriet as annoying as I did this time. I can see how it was fairly daring for the 1960's but now seems like most of the 70's pre-teen novels. Enjoyable.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
One of the loveliest summer vacation books I've ever read. The sequil to Harriet the Spy. I'm searching for books like it!
  fcaccese | Jun 14, 2013 |
This Harriet the Spy book is all about Beth Ellen's coming into herself.
Sometimes hard to follow, but Beth Ellen's journey to self knowledge is interesting. ( )
  aimless22 | Jan 13, 2013 |
this book takes a turn at Beth Ellen's point of view it is still somewhat boring but it is interisting to read a book about a girl who was 12 during the time period and see how life is like for her. If you like a book that is full of action and adventure DON'T read Harriet the Spy OR the Long Secret ( )
  pintrader | Jun 27, 2008 |

Louise Fitzhughprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bobby, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Connie, Dr. Slaff, and Ursula, the nicest fanatics I know
The notes were appearing everywhere. Everyone was talking about it.

Harriet the Spy refuses to become ruffled when an unidentified person starts leaving disturbing notes all over the quiet little beach town of Water Mill. She’s determined to discover the author of the notes. And she drags her best friend, mousy Beth Ellen, into all kinds of odd and embarrassing situations in her efforts to reveal the culprit. Observing in her own special, caustic way with her ever-present notebook, Harriet the Spy is on the case. But will she be ready to face the truth when she finds it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:52 -0400)

Harriet the Spy refuses to become ruffled when an unidentified person starts leaving disturbing notes all over the quiet little beach town of Water Mill. She's determined to discover the author of the notes. And she drags her best friend, mousy Beth Ellen, into all kinds of odd and embarrassing situations in her efforts to reveal the culprit. Observing in her own special, caustic way with her ever-present notebook, Harriet the Spy is on the case. But will she be ready to face the truth when she finds it?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,225,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible