Buffalo Woman Comes Singing (Religion and…

Buffalo Woman Comes Singing (Religion and Spirituality) (1991)

by Brooke Medicine Eagle

Of all the Native Indian spiritual books, I enjoyed this one the most. Her journey and lessons felt most natural and real. ( )
  Debjani_Ray | Apr 30, 2014 |
I really hate to give this such a low rating, but I don't like books that give you "exercises" to do. No matter how well meaning, I just skip over them. I had received her newsletters about 30 years ago, and always meant to read her book when it came out. Now that I finally have it, it's taken me about 2 years to read--mostly because it's the one I turn to while I'm waiting for my son to brush his teeth, so I only get about a page at a time. That probably also makes it hard to do an honest review. Part autobiography and part spiritual guide. She combines traditional ceremonies with other healing modalities, and encourages each of us to become better people.
Maybe I'll have to edit this review later, to give a better flavor of the book! ( )
  juniperSun | Sep 18, 2011 |
Book Description: New York, NY, U.S.A.: Ballantine Publishing Group, 1991. Trade Paperback. Very Good/No Jacket. 8vo - over 7" - 9¾" tall.
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
In black there are all colors. Where darkness, always the light. Iridescent the raven's wing in sunlight.--Brooke Medicine Eagle
This book is dedicated to those who have been my teachers: both those who modeled what to do, and those who demonstrated what not to do. It is dedicated as well to Father Spirit and Mother Earth; to those who are awakening to heal themselves and the Earth; and to All My Relations.
Her people called her The Woman Who Knows Everything; I guess that's why my dad advised me to comehome to the reservation area in Montana to talk with "this little old lady" when I asked him questions about his experience of some of the spiritual practices of our Apsa Indian people.
(Prologue) Although this story is my story, told through the metaphors of my own personal experience, my hope is that it is more than just a personal recounting.
(Introduction) In our present time of ecological and social crisis, all of humanity is looking for new ways to move forward, ways that will solve current problems without creating new ones (as we have in the past with gasoline engines and other technological "advances").

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible