Visser by K. A. Applegate

Perhaps I am missing something with this one, as Visser is one of the most highly regarded of the Animorphs books, but the story just seemed to be lacking something.

First off was its structure. The novel takes place over Visser One's trial, taking the form of numerous flashbacks over her time on Earth and showing how she committed a number of Yeerk crimes and became "addicted" to humanity during her early experiences on the planet. Through the novel's use of motherhood, it is designed to make us feel pity towards Visser One. As though her questionable choices have all been towards some unseen good.

Unfortunately, no, this isn't the case at all. Visser One is a monster, primarily motivated by power and lust for glory. Over the course of this novel, she is shown "eliminating" several of her previous hosts and actively states that she will do the same with Eva once she gets bored. Turning Visser One into a mother does not make her sympathetic. The only reason that I didn't want to see her die was for Marco's sake.

Yet the novel did show a few interesting facets that haven't been focused on previously in novels. For starters, we got a glimpse into Yeerk politics. The scenes in which Visser One and Visser Three debate the best way to take Earth (bloodlessly or through open warfare) are interesting as they show that the Yeerk machine isn't set in stone. I also liked the part when Visser One described the origins of The Sharing, and how easy it was to lure the first voluntary hosts. Perhaps I would have been more engaged if these had been the primary focus of the novel, but the fragmented flashbacks broke up these sequences and thus muted their effect.

All in all, I found this to be the weakest of the Chronicles to date. It had a few interesting scenes, but isn't really one I'd recommend. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Mar 18, 2017 |
A short comment for every book of the series until I get a chance to re-read them. All three of my sons and I loved this series and read every single book - I even bought every single book (most, but not all, used; some through school book sales). I'm excited to re-read them to see how the five main characters develop and to watch all the different transformations again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Remarkably well done. I am admittedly surprised and impressed, glad to finally appreciate something our son read several years ago. Thoughtful, intelligent insights about "the human condition" underlie the heart of this little YA novel -- their expression, at times, is laugh-out-loud funny! ( )
  jasbro | Jun 16, 2012 |

Applegate, K. A.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kukalis, RomasCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Maxx Leach and all the students at Roosevelt School in Lubbock, Texas.
And to Michael and Jake
"Honey?"

He's the source of incredible destruction and evil throughout the galaxy. She's the leader of the Yeerk invasion of Earth...and Marco's Mother. This is their story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:46 -0400)

On trial for treason, Edriss 562 explains how she infested a series of human hosts in order to spearhead the invasion of Earth by her people, the ruthless, parasitic Yeerks.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,251,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible