Let's Get Invisible! by R. L. Stine

Let's Get Invisible! (1993)

by R. L. Stine

## Now you see him, now you don't!

Let's Get Invisible! is dark. Darker than its title and cover suggest -- and much better, too. It's Max's twelfth birthday, and he, his brother Lefty, and their friends sneak up to the dank, dusty attic to explore. What they find is amazing: A secret room with a large, ghastly mirror and nothing else. Overhanging this mirror is an old pull-chain lightswitch that turns the individual in front of the mirror invisible.

At the flick of a switch, Max and his friends have found the miraculous secret to invisibility. Something's not quite right -- this is Goosebumps, after all! -- but that doesn't stop the friends from seeing who can pull off the silliest pranks, or who can stay invisible the longest. It's a feat, as the longer they stay invisible under this light's power, the harder it is to come back. Strength leaves them, their vision gets blurry, they start hearing voices calling for them and even see strange shapes coming towards them....

It's a surprisingly sinister story, and the finale (with its requisite twists) downright creepy. Don't be fooled by the cover and the title -- Let's Get Invisible! is about far more than simple invisibility and pulling pranks. The monsters are very real and very threatening. While this entry didn't leave much of an impression on me when I was younger, I greatly enjoyed revisiting it as an adult.

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps (1992–1997):
#5 The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb | #7 Night of the Living Dummy ( )
  alaskayo | Oct 9, 2016 |
I remember reading some Goosebumps books back when I was younger. This book took me back to those days and how these stories gave me the chills. I empathize with the protagonist which helps fulfill R.L. Stine's task of "scaring" the reader. Though "Let's Get Invisible," isn't his scariest book, it still had it's classic moments of fright. It was a pretty easy read and I would recommend this to anyone trying to get into chapter books for the first time. ( )
  bmmoore | May 20, 2014 |
when I read it I was so bored so that I enjoyed it :P ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
Max's birthday party was supposed to be held outdoors, but the sudden rain kept everyone inside. When he, Erin, and April are exploring Max's attic while waiting on Erin's mom to come pick Erin and April up, they stumble across a hidden room containing an old mirror. When the light atop the mirror is turned on, whoever is standing in front of it vanishes--turned invisible!

That's strange enough, but when Max has been invisible for too long, he starts to feel odd, like the mirror is pulling him in. Could there be more to this mirror than meets (or doesn't meet) the eye?

The sixth book in R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series, Let's Get Invisible! offers a much more fantastical story than the previous book, The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb. Max is concerned about whether the mirror is really safe, but his friends only seem interested in competing to see who can stay invisible the longest, and his little brother, Lefty, only wants to use it to pull pranks.

Let's Get Invisible! is at least as well written as the previous book in the series, with a more interesting story. The characters didn't grab me as well as Gabe and Sari in The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, but they're not bad--though I admit it took me a few pages to realize that the girl nicknamed 'Mouse' wasn't the shy one. That's what I get for making assumptions.

(Spoilers removed. The full review, including spoilers, is available here.)

Let's Get Invisible! is a good book, with a different kind of horror than the usual monsters-and-danger kind. It doesn't seem to be available for the Kindle, but it's not hard to get it used, so you can still read it, if you like. Give it a try! ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 6, 2014 |
Why do I bother? These Goosebumps books have shoveled every idea into neat little terrible books. Someone should have realized that soul swapping through a magic mirror needed a master hand at the helm, someone who can spin a peculiar and quirky story from the basic idea. This tale of a magic mirror that renders people invisible but has a catch, is done to the death. Nobody expects Goosebumps to be really scary. Just strange and suspenseful will do. There's not even the little details that add sparkle to the affair, except where Lefty's breath is concerned. R.L Stine has already thrown the kitchen sink. If only he'd thrown the towel first. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
"I went invisible for the first time on my twelfth birthday."

On Max's birthday, he finds a sort of magic mirror in the attic. It can make him become invisible.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,735,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible