Let's Get Invisible! by R. L. Stine

Let's Get Invisible! (1993)

by R. L. Stine

I remember reading some Goosebumps books back when I was younger. This book took me back to those days and how these stories gave me the chills. I empathize with the protagonist which helps fulfill R.L. Stine's task of "scaring" the reader. Though "Let's Get Invisible," isn't his scariest book, it still had it's classic moments of fright. It was a pretty easy read and I would recommend this to anyone trying to get into chapter books for the first time. ( )
  bmmoore | May 20, 2014 |
when I read it I was so bored so that I enjoyed it :P ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
Max's birthday party was supposed to be held outdoors, but the sudden rain kept everyone inside. When he, Erin, and April are exploring Max's attic while waiting on Erin's mom to come pick Erin and April up, they stumble across a hidden room containing an old mirror. When the light atop the mirror is turned on, whoever is standing in front of it vanishes--turned invisible!

That's strange enough, but when Max has been invisible for too long, he starts to feel odd, like the mirror is pulling him in. Could there be more to this mirror than meets (or doesn't meet) the eye?

The sixth book in R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series, Let's Get Invisible! offers a much more fantastical story than the previous book, The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb. Max is concerned about whether the mirror is really safe, but his friends only seem interested in competing to see who can stay invisible the longest, and his little brother, Lefty, only wants to use it to pull pranks.

Let's Get Invisible! is at least as well written as the previous book in the series, with a more interesting story. The characters didn't grab me as well as Gabe and Sari in The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, but they're not bad--though I admit it took me a few pages to realize that the girl nicknamed 'Mouse' wasn't the shy one. That's what I get for making assumptions.

(Spoilers removed. The full review, including spoilers, is available here.)

Let's Get Invisible! is a good book, with a different kind of horror than the usual monsters-and-danger kind. It doesn't seem to be available for the Kindle, but it's not hard to get it used, so you can still read it, if you like. Give it a try! ( )
  Sopoforic | Feb 6, 2014 |
Why do I bother? These Goosebumps books have shoveled every idea into neat little terrible books. Someone should have realized that soul swapping through a magic mirror needed a master hand at the helm, someone who can spin a peculiar and quirky story from the basic idea. This tale of a magic mirror that renders people invisible but has a catch, is done to the death. Nobody expects Goosebumps to be really scary. Just strange and suspenseful will do. There's not even the little details that add sparkle to the affair, except where Lefty's breath is concerned. R.L Stine has already thrown the kitchen sink. If only he'd thrown the towel first. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
Goosebumps. This is the series that kept me reading through my childhood. More than any other series, Goosebumps kept me interested in reading, and R.L. Stein is a wonderful children's writer. I applaud his efforts, and can't express enough my gratitude for the series. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
"I went invisible for the first time on my twelfth birthday."

On Max's birthday, he finds a sort of magic mirror in the attic. It can make him become invisible.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,232,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible