Why I'm Afraid Of Bees (Goosebumps Series)…

Why I'm Afraid Of Bees (Goosebumps Series) (edition 2005)

by R L Stine

Member:dachsieholic
Title:Why I'm Afraid Of Bees (Goosebumps Series)
Authors:R L Stine
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 144 pages

Why I'm Afraid of Bees by R. L. Stine

I feel like this is enough of a review to leave here...

But seriously, what was this book?

We have a boy who is terrified of bees, a company that allows you to trade places with another person through some weird technology... They mess up and put him in the body of a bee - and then what? They don't apologize, they don't even particularly try to correct it. The family with the boy who the bee took over don't notice anything different about him, either? I mean, the boy is shoving his nose into flowers.

None of this book made sense. Man. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This one was a lot of fun. I liked seeing Gary's adventures as a bee and how the moral slammed into him like a speeding train. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Cute for young kids who like cheesy thrills. Not as good as the fear street series, but these tended to be more successful for some reason.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
## He's no ordinary human bee-ing

Even my 10-year-old self knew something was up with this one.

I couldn't believe my eyes! That cover was lazy! That title--even lazier!

## I saw a single bee, standing in the center of the hive floor. He was performing a kind of jumping, twisting, hip-hop dance. How weird!

[N.B. This review includes images, and was formatted for my site, dendrobibliography -- located here.]

The Goosebumps series was a favorite of just about every American ‘90s kid. This one, presumably, shows the weight of what a monthly publishing schedule had on R.L. Stine's imagination. A kid wanting to live as someone else--with the twist of living as his worst fear: a bee!--was a simple concept that fits the Gooseboops mold well. Unfortunately, filling the book with nothing but short bursts of exclamations nearly killed my interest in the series as a kid (especially coming so soon after You Can't Scare Me!, another series lowpoint).

Given the amount of exclamation points in this one, the tagline is a real downer: ”He’s no ordinary human bee-ing..." You can imagine the moment of self-awareness the writer gained at the ellipsis, and the subsequent loss of faith in humanity.

Luckily, it was good fun before Lutz the Klutz followed a shady 1993 Internet ad, and it was good fun after. &, despite this being a lazy tale, I still had a silly good time with it. The series is remarkably fun to revisit as an adult, whether the tale's a stinker or not.

## ”Never!” He cried. “I don’t care what you do to me! You’ll never get your body back! It’s mine, and I’m keeping it forever!”
## Whoooa! I could not believe my ears.
## I mean, he was covered in bees! And still he wouldn’t listen to reason!

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps (1992–1997):
#16 One Day at HorrorLand | #18 Monster Blood II ( )
3 vote alaskayo | Apr 3, 2016 |

Gary Lutz, a boy constantly picked on by bullies, welcomes the chance to exchange bodies with another child for a week, but he soon discovers that his new body is not exactly human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:13 -0400)

Goosebumps - Book 17

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,158,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible