Little Tree by e. e. cummings

Little Tree

by e. e. cummings

Summary:
This book is about a little Christmas tree that found a home, even though it was little. The children made sure that is was decorated and loved just like any other Christmas tree.

Personal Reaction:
I really liked this book because it was about a Christmas tree. Christmas is my favorite holiday and decorating the Christmas tree has always been one of my favorite things to do.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In my classroom, I could use this book to teach my students how no matter how little you are, you are still important.
2. In my classroom, I could use this book for a Christmas lesson.
  shellbierose | Apr 21, 2014 |
Summary: This story-poem is about a little tree in the snow by itself until a boy discovers it and brings it to life by bringing it inside and decorating it for Christmas. The boy is proud of the tree when it is finished and allows it to show through the front window.

Personal Reaction: I loved this story because first of all I love Christmas, but I also liked it because the tree was made out to have feelings like a human would. I was actually happy when the boy saved it from outside!

Classroom Extension: 1. During December, I could have the students create their very own "little tree" and make it their own by decorating it.
2. The students can also discuss all the steps of chopping down a tree to decorating it. ( )
  KendraGayle | Apr 7, 2014 |
Summary:
EE Cummings poem is about a small tree in the forest that makes Christmas very special for a boy and his family.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed the way they honored the tree and wanted to make such a small tree fell so special. It made me value the experiences my family shares when we decorate our family tree.

Extension Ideas:
I. Art
Decorate a tree as a class
II. Research
research trees and discuss different origins of trees. ( )
  MissJessicaGaines | Nov 7, 2013 |
This poem, made story, by the combined efforts of Deborah Kogan Ray and E.E. Cummings is a sight to behold. It captures in a very few pages the incredible warmth of Christmas. The illustrations have a wonderful glow to them so the reader feels illuminated, as if by Christmas tree lights. The words are simple, yet elegant, dancing around the pages.
My mother would read this book to me every year before Christmas. The quick glimpse into the lives of two children in the city celebrating together still warms heart every holiday season. ( )
  colormemaggie | Oct 18, 2012 |
Summary: A small tree in a forest of big trees seems left out. Someone comforts the tree because it is so small and helpless. They take the tree in and decorate it. They put it next to the window for everyone to see its beauty for Christmas.

Personal Reaction: I feel that this was a cute book. It shows children that even if they are different than others they still have their own special way of shining.

Classroom extension: 1. the students can draw their own Christmas tree and decorate it.
2. After reading the book I can have the children write in their journal about something that makes them different than others.
  f_bennett | Mar 19, 2012 |

e. e. cummingsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ray, Deborah KoganIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The poet/individualist's ode to a small tree decorated for Christmas and proud to receive admiring attention.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:27 -0400)

Legacy Library: e. e. cummings

e. e. cummings has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See e. e. cummings's legacy profile.

See e. e. cummings's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible