dismiss

Assassin's Apprentice (1995)

by Robin Hobb

Series: Realm of the Elderlings (1), The Farseer Trilogy (1)

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him secretly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.… (more)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Tjarda, Patangel)
    The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both "autobiograhical" accounts of the life of a man with powers of a magical kind, told from boyhood to manhood. Compelling writing makes for a great read and memorable story!
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (Kassilem)
    Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: If you enjoy the Master/apprentice relationship and the coming of age, rags to relative riches story lines. Both involve young boys who are capable of things that they do not yet understand and must harness their powers towards a greater end.
    Transformation by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For epic fantasy that is rarely makes things easy for its protagonists
    Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: A coming of age story, a noble boy with an uncertain future.
    A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette (Kassilem)
    Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker (NovaStalker)
    NovaStalker: Both books that have no feel good quality about them at all. If you finish them and their respective series and don't hate life, love, everyone and want to kill yourself you're either incredibly well adjusted or a sociopath. That's a recommendation.
    Imager by L. E. Modesitt (Dragget)
    Dragget: Similar coming-of-age themes where the plot follows the main character as he discovers and develops his skills against a background of political intrigue.
    Inda by Sherwood Smith (humouress)
    humouress: Both series share the similarity of a country defending itself from invaders from the sea with whom they in fact share their ancestry.
    Le Vaisseau magique, tome 1 : Les aventuriers de la mer by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (joyfulgirl)
    The Book of Unholy Mischief: A Novel by Elle Newmark (mene)
    mene: Both books have a similar setting: Told by a narrator when he is already old and has lived his life, he talks about his childhood. Both main characters lived in the "important building" of the city (though in Assassin's Apprentice it's a fantasy world and in The Book of Unholy Mischief it's Venice in Italy), both boys go to town every now and then to meet his friends (and a girl), and both are apprentices of someone/something they cannot tell anyone else (except for a few people). Both books contain a bit of magic, though of a different kind.… (more)
    L'Assassin royal, tome 07 : Le prophète blanc by Robin Hobb (Patangel)

English (212)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (225)
A very solid book. It has a rather unique style, and magic quite different from your typical fantasy environment. I am planning to read the rest of this series, as it seems they won't disappoint. ( )
  MetalPirate | Jul 31, 2020 |
I really enjoyed being introduced to Fitz as a child of 6 just being dropped off to someone new. And then slowly watching him grow in his new “home”.

While this particular book doesn’t have a lot of action it does have a lot of set up and learning as to who Fitz is, the world he lives in and the people who are apart of life.

I felt a tremendous amount of pain for Fitz, the boy is so alone and the one thing he kept finding comfort in kept being ripped from him, and I still don’t understand why The Wit is bad but I am holding out for the later volumes to hopefully explain that more in depth.

The Skill quite honestly confused the hell out of me for a good portion of the story until it finally was explained in a manner I could understand, that’s my only real gripe with the book. This Skill is important, yet I had so much trouble really understanding it and I’m not even sure I really understand it all the way.

The character names also initially left me confused but after awhile and few rereads of its explanations I understood how they worked.

The characters were not overly complex nor underwhelming bland either. They each brought something different and right from the start I knew I wasn’t going to like Regal.

I like the complexity of Fitz and Burrich’s relationship and I’m not going to lie, I shed a few tears when I thought all hope for them being in each other’s lives was almost severed. I like how headstrong and stubborn they are to each other but underneath all that, there is care, and a fondness that’s just kept coming back. I’m interested in where it will go in follow up books.

*SPOILER*
Also my most heart wrenching moment was with Lady Patience. My heart hurt so bad for her when she screamed that Fitz should have been hers and how it wasn’t fair. The scene has so much pain in it and it truly broke my heart for her and I cried for her. I want to so much learn more about her. I feel I wasn’t given enough.

The pacing was mild, not to quick not to slow. It a great set up for a world and it’s characters and I’m intrigued to know where the story leads next. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 29, 2020 |
The story sounds extremely well written and very interesting, unfortunately the book for me was very slow and I just couldn't get into it. I have tried multiple times and can't seem to get past Chapter 7.

Definitely going to hold onto the book and try again some other time. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset for this story at this time. ( )
  A.Keyes | Jul 25, 2020 |
Yeah,I liked this book and I thought the character development was great This was something that peeked my interest right away.And then there was the landscape development.between coastal areas and then mountains.It was all very nicely done and kept me interested throughout.It was just a good book.:) ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |
Not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting more ... killing, I guess. But interesting and very enjoyable, nonetheless. Will be looking into further books. ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins.
Bantam 1996 edition:
To Giles
to the memories of
Ralph the Orange
Freddie Cougar
Princes among Assassins
Felines above Reproach
A history of the Six Duchies is of necessity a history of its ruling family, the Farseers.
[The Fool] was proffering a leather drawstring bag. "What is it?" I asked, and tried not to let him hear either the flowers or the doll in my voice.
Despite some titles similar to those of the original 6, the French version of the Farseer books splits the 2 trilogies into 13 books. This is 1 of 13 and it is the only book that is exactly the same as the original one. Make sure you combine only with identically split parts of the series.

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,843,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible