Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer…

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Robin Hobb, Michael Whelan (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)

Member:Plachno
Title:Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Other authors:Michael Whelan (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)
Info:Spectra (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library, Favorites

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (1995)

Recently added byRyanKleeberger, Melissa.Burazin, ReedBaggett, private library, kamilri, Lolanta, Randin, fecund
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Tjarda, Patangel)
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (Kassilem)
    The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both "autobiograhical" accounts of the life of a man with powers of a magical kind, told from boyhood to manhood. Compelling writing makes for a great read and memorable story!
    Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: If you enjoy the Master/apprentice relationship and the coming of age, rags to relative riches story lines. Both involve young boys who are capable of things that they do not yet understand and must harness their powers towards a greater end.
    A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette (Kassilem)
    Transformation by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For epic fantasy that is rarely makes things easy for its protagonists
    The Chef's Apprentice by Elle Newmark (mene)
    mene: Both books have a similar setting: Told by a narrator when he is already old and has lived his life, he talks about his childhood. Both main characters lived in the "important building" of the city (though in Assassin's Apprentice it's a fantasy world and in The Book of Unholy Mischief it's Venice in Italy), both boys go to town every now and then to meet his friends (and a girl), and both are apprentices of someone/something they cannot tell anyone else (except for a few people). Both books contain a bit of magic, though of a different kind.… (more)
    Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker (NovaStalker)
    NovaStalker: Both books that have no feel good quality about them at all. If you finish them and their respective series and don't hate life, love, everyone and want to kill yourself you're either incredibly well adjusted or a sociopath. That's a recommendation.
    Le Vaisseau magique, tome 1 : Les aventuriers de la mer by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (joyfulgirl)
    L'Assassin royal, tome 07 : Le prophète blanc by Robin Hobb (Patangel)

English (121)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (133)
"Of one other I must speak, one dragged into that conflict and intrigue only by his loyalty to me. To the end of my days, I will bear the scars he gave me. His worn teeth sank deeply into my hand several times before he managed to drag me from that pool. How he did it, I will never know. But his head still rested on my chest when they found us; his mortal bonds to this world broken. Nosy was dead. I believe he gave his life freely, recalling that we had been good to one another, when we were puppies. Men cannot grieve as dogs do. But we grieve for many years."

This paragraph says it all....

This book.....will blow your mind.

The sheer talent of this woman...will leave you speechless.

The plot was deep and layered, and incredibly well thought trough. The writing was engrossing to the point where i have felt every single emotion alongside Fitz, his loneliness, his dreams, his awareness of isolation, his tentative reach towards family and some sort of acceptance. My poor heart was breaking at moments.

This is definitely a classic, and the rest of the world already knows it. I'm just glad i finally joined the band wagon....
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I've had Robin Hobb on my list of "to read" authors for a while and I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to one of her books. Her prose is wonderful and though she writes pretty standard fantasy her character's, world and magic are intriguing. The magic of this world is, at this point, minimal, but magic seems to be a dying art in the Duchies and there are hints that this is about to change. I can't wait to see where Fitz's story takes him as he evolves from apprentice to full fledged assassin. ( )
  blue_fantasy | Aug 5, 2015 |
In the mood to read a good, solid fantasy trilogy, I picked up the Farseer series by Robin Hobb. It was highly recommended on every “Top Fantasy Reads” list I looked at. That’s really saying something, eh? “Assassin’s Apprentice” (Book 1) begins with the main character as an old man recalling his life story, starting at the tender age of six. Right away, the reader knows she’s in for an ambitious story. Being a writer myself, I appreciate the foreshadowing that Hobbs deftly employed here as well as the organization that goes behind it. The author has a straightforward style that is easy to read. Her character development is amazing, and she takes the time to “grow” the individuals, and they are wonderfully depicted as believable people with natural flaws and foibles. There are no instant advancements or ready-made solutions to either their development or the story’s. Hobbs also does a fine job with setting development, and her plot is just convoluted enough to make things interesting without being confusing.

That being said, and I am looking at the series as a whole, there are some places where the story dragged enough to make me want to skip ahead. I understand that she tried to make each of the three novels work more or less as a standalone. However, this involved boring and copious amounts of repetition made worse by editorial gaffs in which words and/or phrases were often duplicated—in the same paragraph, no less.

I found the first book the least engaging, and if I had not set out to read the trilogy, I would have quit there. The ending did nothing to encourage me to pick up the next book. In spite of that, I’m glad I did. I cried my way through the last couple of chapters. In the end, I felt sympathy and a real fondness for not just the main character, Fitz, but for most of the supporting cast. As another reviewer said, “If you want a story that can pull you in, wring you out, and leave you feeling like you have really been through something, then read this.” ( )
  RobinLythgoe | Jul 6, 2015 |
As silly and cliche as it is, I definitely judge books by their cover and the new cover of this novel is not great! My sister and I are both avid fantasy readers and she highly suggested this series to me. Although I tried to say no, due to the cover,I tried it out, and am very grateful I did!
What a great start to a fantasy series. It has all the right ingredients: magic, action, a great landscape, and above all else great characterization.
I want to care for the characters I read about whether that be to love or hate them! This book allowed me to understand and dive into the characters and their actions.
I will definitely be reading this series to the end! Robin Hobb is a great fantasy writer and I am excited to have found (technically my sister found) another great fantasy series to put under my belt! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | May 22, 2015 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins.
Bantam 1996 edition:
To Giles
to the memories of
Ralph the Orange
Freddie Cougar
Princes among Assassins
Felines above Reproach
A history of the Six Duchies is of necessity a history of its ruling family, the Farseers.
[The Fool] was proffering a leather drawstring bag. "What is it?" I asked, and tried not to let him hear either the flowers or the doll in my voice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055357339X, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Fitz, Prince Chivalry's illegitimate son raised by Burrich the stableman, is ignored by all the royalty except for King Shrewd, who has him tutored as an assassin because he has the magic Skill.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,091,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible