Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer…

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Robin Hobb, John Howe (Illustrator), Michael Whelan (Illustrator)

Member:Plachno
Title:Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Other authors:John Howe (Illustrator), Michael Whelan (Illustrator)
Info:Spectra (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library, Favorites

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (1995)

Recently added byprivate library, kathryn.winz, Siuleechan, catiew, mazelibrary, rbnvrw, TheoClarke
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (Kassilem)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Tjarda, Patangel)
    Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: If you enjoy the Master/apprentice relationship and the coming of age, rags to relative riches story lines. Both involve young boys who are capable of things that they do not yet understand and must harness their powers towards a greater end.
    The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both "autobiograhical" accounts of the life of a man with powers of a magical kind, told from boyhood to manhood. Compelling writing makes for a great read and memorable story!
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (joyfulgirl)
    Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker (NovaStalker)
    NovaStalker: Both books that have no feel good quality about them at all. If you finish them and their respective series and don't hate life, love, everyone and want to kill yourself you're either incredibly well adjusted or a sociopath. That's a recommendation.
    A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette (Kassilem)
    Le Vaisseau magique, tome 1 : Les aventuriers de la mer by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    The Chef's Apprentice by Elle Newmark (mene)
    mene: Both books have a similar setting: Told by a narrator when he is already old and has lived his life, he talks about his childhood. Both main characters lived in the "important building" of the city (though in Assassin's Apprentice it's a fantasy world and in The Book of Unholy Mischief it's Venice in Italy), both boys go to town every now and then to meet his friends (and a girl), and both are apprentices of someone/something they cannot tell anyone else (except for a few people). Both books contain a bit of magic, though of a different kind.… (more)
    L'Assassin royal, tome 07 : Le prophète blanc by Robin Hobb (Patangel)

English (102)  Dutch (4)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (110)
I enjoyed this book, but...I just couldn't really get into it. I found I didn't really care about any of the characters other than Fitz and maybe Chade. I could care less about the rest - whether they lived, died, achieved their ambitions or not. I may continue this series, but not immediately since it didn't inspire much in me. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jul 19, 2014 |
Born illegitimately to a commoner and a prince, Fitz has both the ancient ability to talk to animals and the noble Skill of influencing other’s minds. At a very young age he’s chosen and trained to be the king’s assassin. This puts him in a position to defend the kingdom both from vicious Outislander raiders and from attacks closer to home.

This is my monthly read for the Sword and Laser group on goodreads. Most of the books they’ve selected have been exceptionally well written, so I went into this one with high expectations. Unfortunately, the writing was only decent, not exceptional. Nothing in the world building or plot set up was especially novel or outstanding either. You’d still probably be reading a much more positive review, calling the lack of novelty “classic epic fantasy”, if the plot had delivered anything epic. Instead, there was frequently building excitement, mounting tension and then… our hero gets called away somewhere else before he really impacts events in an exciting way! Disappointing every time.

There were aspects of the book done very well. I particularly enjoyed the author’s vivid descriptions of places as well as the tone of the narrator, which was believable and true to the character. The very ending did finally have a climactic show down driven by our protagonists actions. But it was too little too late. The story was also a little too sad for me (warning: puppies were harmed in the plot of this book). However, I may give the next book a try just because there was so much unused potential here. Based on this book alone, it’s not a series I’d recommend, but I’ll let you know if the others change my mind.

This review originally published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
Finally. An amazing female fantasy writer whose books I can read and love. ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
I first read this series many years ago in high school. It has stayed with me since. I even lent a copy of this book to a friend for her to read, and bought me another when it wasn't returned! The character development shines in this novel, and the plot is well developed as well. I recommend it to those who like assassin's, fantasy, and/or character-driven stories. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 18, 2014 |
This review refers to the whole Farseer Trilogy:

I read The Farseer Saga years ago and it is still one of my favorite epic fantasies. Its main strengths are its simple writing style and excellent characterization.

Robin Hobb's prose is lovely — straightforward and simple. It never calls attention to itself (and therefore away from the story). The characters are complex and believable. Fitz is my favorite fantasy "hero" and someone I came to really care about. He's not perfect, he's not beautiful, he's not a master swordsman. He's an abandoned bastard coming of age. He's insecure, he's lonely, and sometimes he broods. Not in an annoying whiny way, but in a normal, realistic way.

Things don't always go so well for Fitz. His story is heart-wrenching, and I felt emotionally drained after I finished it. But somehow, that was so satisfying.

Read more Robin Hobb book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins.
Bantam 1996 edition:
To Giles
to the memories of
Ralph the Orange
Freddie Cougar
Princes among Assassins
Felines above Reproach
A history of the Six Duchies is of necessity a history of its ruling family, the Farseers.
[The Fool] was proffering a leather drawstring bag. "What is it?" I asked, and tried not to let him hear either the flowers or the doll in my voice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055357339X, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:27 -0400)

Fitz, Prince Chivalry's illegitimate son raised by Burrich the stableman, is ignored by all the royalty except for King Shrewd, who has him tutored as an assassin because he has the magic Skill.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible