Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer…

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Robin Hobb, Michael Whelan (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)

Member:Plachno
Title:Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Other authors:Michael Whelan (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)
Info:Spectra (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library (inactive), Favorites (inactive)

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (1995)

A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Tjarda, Patangel)
    The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both "autobiograhical" accounts of the life of a man with powers of a magical kind, told from boyhood to manhood. Compelling writing makes for a great read and memorable story!
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (Kassilem)
    Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: If you enjoy the Master/apprentice relationship and the coming of age, rags to relative riches story lines. Both involve young boys who are capable of things that they do not yet understand and must harness their powers towards a greater end.
    Transformation by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For epic fantasy that is rarely makes things easy for its protagonists
    Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker (NovaStalker)
    NovaStalker: Both books that have no feel good quality about them at all. If you finish them and their respective series and don't hate life, love, everyone and want to kill yourself you're either incredibly well adjusted or a sociopath. That's a recommendation.
    A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette (Kassilem)
    Across the Nightingale Floor by Gillian Rubinstein (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: A coming of age story, a noble boy with an uncertain future.
    Imager by L. E. Modesitt (Dragget)
    Dragget: Similar coming-of-age themes where the plot follows the main character as he discovers and develops his skills against a background of political intrigue.
    Le Vaisseau magique, tome 1 : Les aventuriers de la mer by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    The Chef's Apprentice by Elle Newmark (mene)
    mene: Both books have a similar setting: Told by a narrator when he is already old and has lived his life, he talks about his childhood. Both main characters lived in the "important building" of the city (though in Assassin's Apprentice it's a fantasy world and in The Book of Unholy Mischief it's Venice in Italy), both boys go to town every now and then to meet his friends (and a girl), and both are apprentices of someone/something they cannot tell anyone else (except for a few people). Both books contain a bit of magic, though of a different kind.… (more)
    L'Assassin royal, tome 07 : Le prophète blanc by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (joyfulgirl)

English (139)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (151)
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Review will be added later.
  crisana | Jun 2, 2016 |
I started watching booktube this year, and in doing so, came across a channel called Novels & Nonsense. Samantha reads a lot of fantasy, A LOT, and over time I realized we had sort of the same taste in books.

If you’ve watched her, you know she mentions Robin Hobb basically every other video. She’s one of her favourite authors, and one I’d never heard of before. So on my next Chapters excursion I picked up the recommended first read in her interwoven trilogies/series/world: Assassin’s Apprentice.

It has been awhile since I have read such a rich fantasy novel. From page one you are hooked into this elaborate world that is complex but understandable. There were no questions, no moments where I lost the illusion, just pure world building and fun.

The jist of the story is that Fitz is the bastard son of the King in waiting, who leaves court when he finds out he has a bastard. Fitz is sent to court by his mother’s father, where he is taken in by Burrich, his father’s man and stable…guy. Fitz comes into contact with the King (his grandfather), who wants to train him as an assassin, and Fitz agrees. We then meet Chade (who’s name I pronounce as both Shade and Chad), and we watch Fitz learn the Skill.

Yeah, so picture that playing out, but like a MILLION TIMES more engaging.

Fitz is an amazing character. I love that you get to watch him grown from a tiny boy through finding the first bit of himself, and having to realize who he is and what his future could be like. You watch him become self aware, and it’s really interesting. I LOVED reading through his eyes, he is hands down one of my favourite fantasy characters.

The supporting cast were also real parts of the story, not just characters placed to drive a plot. I felt like I had walked through the palace and met these people, that Fitz had actually grown up alongside them. Burrich, especially, felt REAL. Although I wanted to hit him on the head a little.

I can’t even speak to you about the plot because it’s just so fantastic. I can’t wait to read the next one. And the next one. And the next series. And I’m so glad Robin Hobb has written so many books for me to devour. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
This book was for me my beginning with the author; I must say I was quite happy with it and her!
But as I went with all her works, I regretted one point: her heroes are somewhat "indecisive", there is what we call in french "tergiversation", her hero Fitz (with whom I identified easily!)seems to procrastinate, and it become painful when you read nine and more books with the same default!
In fact you can find another hero Nevare with this weight to bring along!
But she is a likable writer with plenty of imagination, and more sensible than male writers(I mean less macho!)
I like her well. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Assassin's Apprentice reminded me of Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave. Both novels begin when their protagonist (and first person narrator) is five years old, both of those protagonists are bastards of royal descent who go through their childhood not knowing their father and both of them have some unusual talents.

Fitz's story captured my interest immediately. However, this is not a happy book, because Fitz doesn't have anyone who is on his side unconditionally. Except for his dog. And his dog isn't able to be there for him 24/7. Unhappy things happen.

I was not happy about this.

Why on earth did I think I would like reading a book with that title? I asked myself, even though those Fitz being an assassin's apprentice was the cause for very little of the misery.

I want to read the next book, because I'm invested in what happens to poor Fitz, and there are other characters I like, but I suspect there's just more unhappiness in store. ( )
  Herenya | Mar 28, 2016 |
very interesting style for a fantasy book - written in the first person. You feel all of main character's doubts and hopes, but also feel his pain much stronger. This trilogy was recommended to me while I was waiting for the next installments of Wheel of Time and Song of Fire and Ice. I will definitely be checking out other Robin Hobb series. ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins.
Bantam 1996 edition:
To Giles
to the memories of
Ralph the Orange
Freddie Cougar
Princes among Assassins
Felines above Reproach
A history of the Six Duchies is of necessity a history of its ruling family, the Farseers.
[The Fool] was proffering a leather drawstring bag. "What is it?" I asked, and tried not to let him hear either the flowers or the doll in my voice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055357339X, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Fitz, Prince Chivalry's illegitimate son raised by Burrich the stableman, is ignored by all the royalty except for King Shrewd, who has him tutored as an assassin because he has the magic Skill.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,872,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible