Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer…

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Robin Hobb, Michael Whelan (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)

Member:Plachno
Title:Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Robin Hobb
Other authors:Michael Whelan (Illustrator), John Howe (Illustrator)
Info:Spectra (1996), Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library (inactive), Favorites (inactive)

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (1995)

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Tjarda, Patangel)
    The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both "autobiograhical" accounts of the life of a man with powers of a magical kind, told from boyhood to manhood. Compelling writing makes for a great read and memorable story!
    Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn (Kassilem)
    Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: If you enjoy the Master/apprentice relationship and the coming of age, rags to relative riches story lines. Both involve young boys who are capable of things that they do not yet understand and must harness their powers towards a greater end.
    Transformation by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For epic fantasy that is rarely makes things easy for its protagonists
    Devices and Desires by K. J. Parker (NovaStalker)
    NovaStalker: Both books that have no feel good quality about them at all. If you finish them and their respective series and don't hate life, love, everyone and want to kill yourself you're either incredibly well adjusted or a sociopath. That's a recommendation.
    A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette (Kassilem)
    Across the Nightingale Floor by Gillian Rubinstein (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: A coming of age story, a noble boy with an uncertain future.
    Imager by L. E. Modesitt (Dragget)
    Dragget: Similar coming-of-age themes where the plot follows the main character as he discovers and develops his skills against a background of political intrigue.
    Le Vaisseau magique, tome 1 : Les aventuriers de la mer by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    The Chef's Apprentice by Elle Newmark (mene)
    mene: Both books have a similar setting: Told by a narrator when he is already old and has lived his life, he talks about his childhood. Both main characters lived in the "important building" of the city (though in Assassin's Apprentice it's a fantasy world and in The Book of Unholy Mischief it's Venice in Italy), both boys go to town every now and then to meet his friends (and a girl), and both are apprentices of someone/something they cannot tell anyone else (except for a few people). Both books contain a bit of magic, though of a different kind.… (more)
    L'Assassin royal, tome 07 : Le prophète blanc by Robin Hobb (Patangel)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (joyfulgirl)

English (148)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All (160)
Author: Robin Hobb   Rating: 3 of 5 Stars   Synopsis A royal bastard is thrown into the royal court and trained to be an assassin.   My Thoughts Having heard of Robin Hobb and specifically this trilogy, I went into this with some high hopes. Sadly, this was only a mediocre story.   Lots of grinding, whining, angst, blah, blah, blah. I found the main character to be thoroughly uninspiring. The kingdom as a whole was a backdrop that felt like it was kind of painted on and the threat of the Redships and the forging, well, it wasn't much of a threat since it didn't make the story change.   And I have to admit, I was expecting something a bit flashier from an assassin. I think Brent Weeks and his wetboys have ruined me for simple assassins.   I'll finish the trilogy, but I doubt I'll be reading any more of Hobbs, she has failed to impress.     Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I decided to reread this because I ended up abruptly abandoning the audiobook of Royal Assassin when I quit my job to work at home and no longer had a commute.

I think I enjoyed it even more as a book than I did as an audiobook. Hobb does a fantastic job of world-building here, and Fitz is a great character. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.

Highly recommended, especially if you like fantasy but find Game of Thrones too dark.

---------

Original review (August 2010):

I really enjoyed this, almost as much as I enjoyed George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. Bonus: this series is all done, so I don't have to worry that there will be no resolution. Fitz is a great character.

Note that I didn't actually read this, I listened to it during my ridiculously long commute for several weeks. The reader is really very good. I'm looking forward to starting Royal Assassin when I go back to work on Tuesday. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I loved this book when I first read it years ago, and read many of Hobb's other books in the series. She's since written more, and I thought it would be fun to reread and catch up with the series.

I was a little disappointed.

I still really liked the book, the plot, and the characters, but I didn't like Hobb's writing as well as I had remembered. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Based on many of the reviews that I read about this book, I had lofty expectations, but I finished the story feeling completely dissatisfied. The plot took too long to develop and placed far too much emphasis on mind-control and telepathic powers for my liking. Certain elements of the story I liked but not enough to outweigh the negatives. ( )
  HowHop | Oct 15, 2016 |
Assassin's Apprentice follows the story of Fitz, the bastard son of Prince Chivalry, as he grows up on the edges of the royal court. Mostly seen as an outcast, King Shrewd has him apprenticed to the court assassin and he has ability with the Skill, a type of magic, that needs to be trained. Raiders begin to savage the kingdom's coast causing turmoil with its citizens and there are plots within the court itself. Fitz is sent on a dangerous mission that may be the key to keeping everything from falling apart.

I have no idea why it took me so long to get to this book. It has been on the shelf for going on three years now. It was quite an enjoyable read and I like Hobb's writing style. It flowed better for me than the Liveship Trader novels (also excellent, just different). Now I need to figure out where I put the other two books! ( )
  Narilka | Sep 27, 2016 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Giles
And for Raphael and Freddy,
the Princes of Assassins.
Bantam 1996 edition:
To Giles
to the memories of
Ralph the Orange
Freddie Cougar
Princes among Assassins
Felines above Reproach
A history of the Six Duchies is of necessity a history of its ruling family, the Farseers.
[The Fool] was proffering a leather drawstring bag. "What is it?" I asked, and tried not to let him hear either the flowers or the doll in my voice.
Despite some titles similar to those of the original 6, the French version of the Farseer books splits the 2 trilogies into 13 books. This is 1 of 13 and it is the only book that is exactly the same as the original one. Make sure you combine only with identically split parts of the series.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055357339X, Mass Market Paperback)

Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Fitz, Prince Chivalry's illegitimate son raised by Burrich the stableman, is ignored by all the royalty except for King Shrewd, who has him tutored as an assassin because he has the magic Skill.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible