North and South by John Jakes

North and South (1982)

by John Jakes

1,292236,064 (3.95)1 / 149
Recently added byshbeaty, kewlgeek, private library

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
"In the years leading up to the Civil War, one enduring friendship embodies the tensions of a nation. Orry Main from South Carolina and George Hazard from Pennsylvania forge a lasting bond while training at the United States Military Academy at West Point." ( )
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
Although I got a little frustrated in the middle of the book, this was just one I couldn't wait to pick up again. I felt that some things were sort of skimmed over in the middle (all of a sudden Cooper is married, Billy is no longer into Ashton but is now in love with Brett...), but John Jakes did an amazing job portraying the feelings, both in the North and the South, leading up to the Civil War. He made the reader empathize with both sides, which in my opinion, is no easy feat. ( )
  carebear10712 | Jan 8, 2015 |
After reading this first book of the North and South trilogy, I'm wondering if the mini-series writers ever bothered to read the books, because the characters are completely different than those portrayed on-screen. I am certainly enjoying the "true" story of the Mains and Hazards. ( )
  silva_44 | May 20, 2014 |
This is a pretty good book. Some of the characters are a little stereo-typical; but definitely good enough that I bought the next two before finishing this one. ( )
  cbrown1000 | May 1, 2014 |
Book One of the fantastic Civil War trilogy that includes "Love and War" and "Heaven and Hell".
It features two friends who met at West Point and their families. They are on opposite sides of the war. Also a TV miniseries starring Patrick Swayze. John Jakes also wrote the "Kent Family Chronicles". I love anything by this author. ( )
  jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
Lover and friend has thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness. - Psalm 88
In memory of Jonathan Daniels - Islander, Southerner, American, Friend
"The lad should take my name," Wisdom said after supper. "It's long past time."

A novel of two families during twenty turbulent, troubled years that culminate in the shattering Civil War.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,911,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible