The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Dead and the Gone

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: The Last Survivors (2)

1,7461564,044 (3.79)1 / 117

This was a very interesting follow up to the first book. It has nothing to do with the characters from the first book, but it is a very good look at what happened in a large city to another family. I find this series to be really interesting, not overly dramatic except what you'd think life might be like if the world were falling apart. The characters are flawed, but find that strength to get through the horrible stuff.

I'm excited to read the final book. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Freaked me out as much as the first one, if not a bit more. I kept hoping one of the parents would appear, freeing the kids from being all alone but alas, that didn't happen. Humans are strong and can answer the call to be tough when needed. Most anyway. NOt sure I could do this myself and hopefully I never have to find out. ( )
  jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Somehow I missed the publication of this entirely; only when the release of the third volume was being publicized did I know there had been a second.
While set in the same world, the characters are markedly different,the most memorable distinction being the faith-based outlook of the protagonist. His Catholicism colors and informs every decision he makes. It is such an unusual literary device in this day and age that it is unsettling at first before, in the end, becoming the most comforting aspect of the story. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Second book in the Life As We Knew It series. Not a bad storyline, but was a bit boring since it was the same time period as the first. A good placeholder to develop some backstory for the third book though. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
New York City. The Morales Family. Missing parents and siblings, floods, famine, plagues, sickness, harsh weather, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes. Discover what will happen to a normal family living in a New York City Apartment. How will they handle all the bad omens coming their way? What will they be forced to do to survive? What will happen to the world around them? Will they know the dead and the gone?

Gloomy, dark, and scary. The dead and the gone will have you on the edge of your seat as you discover what happens to the Morales family. I rate this book four and a half stars. ( )
  PiperP.BG3 | Dec 6, 2016 |
Pfeffer subverts all our expectations of how redemption works in teenage fiction, as Alex learns to live, and have faith, in a world where radical unfairness is the norm.

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Janet Carlson, Best Buzz Buddy and Cherished Friend
At the moment when life as he had known it changed forever, Alex Morales was behind the counter at Joey's Pizza, slicing a spinach pesto pie into eight roughly equal pieces.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

After a meteor hits the moon and sets off a series of horrific climate changes, seventeen-year-old Alex Morales must take care of his sisters alone in the chaos of New York City.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible