The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Dead and the Gone

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: The Last Survivors (2)

1,6751534,270 (3.79)1 / 116

In this sequel to Life As We Knew It, the story takes place in New York City and follows Alex Morales in the aftermath of the asteroid hitting the moon. Alex is 17 with two younger sisters. He must care for them until his parents return if they return. The contrast between Pennsylvania and Miranda and New York City and Alex is interesting. So many things are different yet the same. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
A very different and well-paced sequel/companion novel to Life As We Knew It. I found the families devout religious values an interesting enhancement to the post-apocalyptic storyline. This story seemed more realistic and grim then Life As We Knew It. Through the main character, Alex, we watched New York City die around him. I liked how he protected his sister's at all cost and was always balancing the best decision for them, he took his responsibility so personally. I'm am interested to see how the series wraps up. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Okay, I am seriously going to have to stop reading these very realistic apocalypse stories! This is my third in a month, and I am starting to freak out.

The second in The Last Survivors trilogy, I was not as ... tense ... as I read this one (probably since, like I said, it's the third I have read in quick succession). However, I was more invested in these characters, once I got into the storyline, over those in book one.

While I liked the maturation of Miranda over the course of the first book, as well as the fierce protection of the mother for her children, the characters here seemed to be more real to me. Alex is a 17 year old boy whose parents and older brother are gone, leaving him responsible for his two younger sisters. Julie is a pain in the rear brat, but she (like Miranda) matures throughout the novel nicely and very believably. Bri, the older of the two girls has her head in the clouds, and while she is calm in the beginning, her denial of everything and Pollyanna attitude become grating as the story goes on.

There was a heavy dose of religion in this one. The characters relied heavily on their faith, their religious leaders and prayer to get them through the most trying times. I found this to be very refreshing in that it was not in any way demeaning, ridiculed or taken lightly. Faith is central to many, many people and the portrayal here was very nicely done.

This is a very compelling storyline, an extremely clever way to write it, and I am looking forward to the third and final book.

Highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Pfeffer subverts all our expectations of how redemption works in teenage fiction, as Alex learns to live, and have faith, in a world where radical unfairness is the norm.

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Janet Carlson, Best Buzz Buddy and Cherished Friend
At the moment when life as he had known it changed forever, Alex Morales was behind the counter at Joey's Pizza, slicing a spinach pesto pie into eight roughly equal pieces.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

After a meteor hits the moon and sets off a series of horrific climate changes, seventeen-year-old Alex Morales must take care of his sisters alone in the chaos of New York City.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,907,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible