The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Dead and the Gone

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: The Last Survivors (2)

1,7051534,171 (3.79)1 / 117

New York City. The Morales Family. Missing parents and siblings, floods, famine, plagues, sickness, harsh weather, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes. Discover what will happen to a normal family living in a New York City Apartment. How will they handle all the bad omens coming their way? What will they be forced to do to survive? What will happen to the world around them? Will they know the dead and the gone?

Gloomy, dark, and scary. The dead and the gone will have you on the edge of your seat as you discover what happens to the Morales family. I rate this book four and a half stars. ( )
  PiperP.BG3 | Dec 6, 2016 |
In this sequel to Life As We Knew It, the story takes place in New York City and follows Alex Morales in the aftermath of the asteroid hitting the moon. Alex is 17 with two younger sisters. He must care for them until his parents return if they return. The contrast between Pennsylvania and Miranda and New York City and Alex is interesting. So many things are different yet the same. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
A very different and well-paced sequel/companion novel to Life As We Knew It. I found the families devout religious values an interesting enhancement to the post-apocalyptic storyline. This story seemed more realistic and grim then Life As We Knew It. Through the main character, Alex, we watched New York City die around him. I liked how he protected his sister's at all cost and was always balancing the best decision for them, he took his responsibility so personally. I'm am interested to see how the series wraps up. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Pfeffer subverts all our expectations of how redemption works in teenage fiction, as Alex learns to live, and have faith, in a world where radical unfairness is the norm.

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Janet Carlson, Best Buzz Buddy and Cherished Friend
At the moment when life as he had known it changed forever, Alex Morales was behind the counter at Joey's Pizza, slicing a spinach pesto pie into eight roughly equal pieces.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

After a meteor hits the moon and sets off a series of horrific climate changes, seventeen-year-old Alex Morales must take care of his sisters alone in the chaos of New York City.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,783,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible