The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

The Dead and the Gone

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: The Last Survivors (2)

1,5031374,924 (3.8)1 / 110

Life as We Knew It was pretty good. I enjoyed reading it. The Dead and the Gone isn’t really a continuation of the first one, it’s set in a different setting this time in New York City. Instead of a female protagonist, we have a male one who’s like the previous main character, has a family to take care of.

What I liked about this book is the development of the setting. I liked how throughout the book areas around Alex and his sisters start dying out, and the city starts getting abandoned slowly. I enjoyed how this was illustrated throughout the story. Character development was well done in this book. I thought Julie did a lot of growing up especially during the last third of the book. Alex, well he did take charge of being the ‘man of the house’ but he wasn’t a great as a main character as I hoped he would be. Bri on the other hand, just ended up being the annoying character nobody wants to read about.

The plot itself isn’t as good as the first one, but it’s still worth a read through at least once at least to see good character development and how it was like in a different setting. I’ll be continuing along this series as it does have a lot of potential. I hope it doesn’t fall short. ( )
  sensitivemuse | Sep 9, 2014 |
The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer is a companion book to Life as We Know It. The book revisits the original event but from the vantage point of New York City.

Alex Morales has to keep his family together after his parents go missing in the huge tidal waves immediately following the change in the moon's orbit.

On the one hand it was nice to see that the cities did actually stand. In Life as We Knew It the fate of the cities is left in the air. But I didn't really want to go through the same events again. I didn't want to get emotionally tied up with another family and watch key loved ones get injured, sick, and die.

The third book returns to the original plot and I do plan to read it. The Dead and the Gone though can be skipped. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 23, 2014 |
This book was so good. I've been wanting to read it for a while, because I really enjoyed the first in the series, but I've only just gotten around to it. I loved it so much, it was really well done.

For a longer review, please check out my blog at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I loved this book! I didn't realize though that it was the 2nd book, so I can't wait to read the first book also. Such an interesting read. ( )
  melissapetty10 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I was honestly disappointed with the sequel to Life As We Knew It. I wasn't even worried when the beginning was slow, dull, and uninteresting, because that's how the first book was and the first book ended up getting SO GOOD by the end. The Dead And The Gone, however... It got better, but never made me feel like I couldn't put it down, never made me read hastily in terror, and did not give me a sense of "wow" when I finished the last page. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 12, 2014 |
Pfeffer subverts all our expectations of how redemption works in teenage fiction, as Alex learns to live, and have faith, in a world where radical unfairness is the norm.

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Janet Carlson, Best Buzz Buddy and Cherished Friend
At the moment when life as he had known it changed forever, Alex Morales was behind the counter at Joey's Pizza, slicing a spinach pesto pie into eight roughly equal pieces.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:55 -0400)

After a meteor hits the moon and sets off a series of horrific climate changes, seventeen-year-old Alex Morales must take care of his sisters alone in the chaos of New York City.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,797,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible