The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors,…

The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

1,6411524,395 (3.8)1 / 111
Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors, Book 2)
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2008), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

A very different and well-paced sequel/companion novel to Life As We Knew It. I found the families devout religious values an interesting enhancement to the post-apocalyptic storyline. This story seemed more realistic and grim then Life As We Knew It. Through the main character, Alex, we watched New York City die around him. I liked how he protected his sister's at all cost and was always balancing the best decision for them, he took his responsibility so personally. I'm am interested to see how the series wraps up. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Okay, I am seriously going to have to stop reading these very realistic apocalypse stories! This is my third in a month, and I am starting to freak out.

The second in The Last Survivors trilogy, I was not as ... tense ... as I read this one (probably since, like I said, it's the third I have read in quick succession). However, I was more invested in these characters, once I got into the storyline, over those in book one.

While I liked the maturation of Miranda over the course of the first book, as well as the fierce protection of the mother for her children, the characters here seemed to be more real to me. Alex is a 17 year old boy whose parents and older brother are gone, leaving him responsible for his two younger sisters. Julie is a pain in the rear brat, but she (like Miranda) matures throughout the novel nicely and very believably. Bri, the older of the two girls has her head in the clouds, and while she is calm in the beginning, her denial of everything and Pollyanna attitude become grating as the story goes on.

There was a heavy dose of religion in this one. The characters relied heavily on their faith, their religious leaders and prayer to get them through the most trying times. I found this to be very refreshing in that it was not in any way demeaning, ridiculed or taken lightly. Faith is central to many, many people and the portrayal here was very nicely done.

This is a very compelling storyline, an extremely clever way to write it, and I am looking forward to the third and final book.

Highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
After an asteroid knocks the moon out of its orbit and closer to the Earth, conditions in New York City quickly deteriorate. High school junior Alex Morales is unaware of what’s happened, but when he gets home from his job at the pizza parlor the electricity goes out. There he finds his two younger sisters alone in the apartment. Their father was out of town for a funeral. Their mother, like all medical personnel, had been called into work at the hospital. Thus begins their long ordeal, with Alex assuming the role of head of household, though barely more than a child himself.

Told mostly from Alex’s point of view the reader sees him struggle to make decisions far beyond his level of maturity. But he’s very resourceful and a born leader. Carefully building alliances with those who might be able to help, he keeps the family situation a secret as long as possible, and does everything possible to ensure that he and his sisters survive.

I liked this sequel to Life As We Knew It somewhat better than the first book. Yes, there are still gross errors and omissions. (Does no one think of stockpiling toilet paper? Tampons?) But I connected to Alex and his sisters and thought that they were written as fairly accurate portrayals of kids their age. The Catholic Church certainly fares better in this book than the religious sect in the first book – while some of the clergy are harsh and seemingly without compassion, in general they do more to help the parishoners than to punish them.

There were several instances in the last third of the book when I was in tears. I felt as frustrated and helpless as Alex, and cheered for his continued determination. The ending leaves the door open for continued sequels, which I find a little annoying, but certainly understandable in this genre.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Pfeffer subverts all our expectations of how redemption works in teenage fiction, as Alex learns to live, and have faith, in a world where radical unfairness is the norm.

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Janet Carlson, Best Buzz Buddy and Cherished Friend
At the moment when life as he had known it changed forever, Alex Morales was behind the counter at Joey's Pizza, slicing a spinach pesto pie into eight roughly equal pieces.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

After a meteor hits the moon and sets off a series of horrific climate changes, seventeen-year-old Alex Morales must take care of his sisters alone in the chaos of New York City.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible