The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors,…

The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Susan Beth Pfeffer

1,4841365,009 (3.81)1 / 110
Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors, Book 2)
Authors:Susan Beth Pfeffer
Info:Harcourt Children's Books (2008), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Recently added by-sunny-, lmross, Grayson27, Agfish, alexmuninn, KittySparklez, BeWrite, private library, ripred, TereseMarie

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer is a companion book to Life as We Know It. The book revisits the original event but from the vantage point of New York City.

Alex Morales has to keep his family together after his parents go missing in the huge tidal waves immediately following the change in the moon's orbit.

On the one hand it was nice to see that the cities did actually stand. In Life as We Knew It the fate of the cities is left in the air. But I didn't really want to go through the same events again. I didn't want to get emotionally tied up with another family and watch key loved ones get injured, sick, and die.

The third book returns to the original plot and I do plan to read it. The Dead and the Gone though can be skipped. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 23, 2014 |
This book was so good. I've been wanting to read it for a while, because I really enjoyed the first in the series, but I've only just gotten around to it. I loved it so much, it was really well done.

For a longer review, please check out my blog at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I loved this book! I didn't realize though that it was the 2nd book, so I can't wait to read the first book also. Such an interesting read. ( )
  melissapetty10 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I was honestly disappointed with the sequel to Life As We Knew It. I wasn't even worried when the beginning was slow, dull, and uninteresting, because that's how the first book was and the first book ended up getting SO GOOD by the end. The Dead And The Gone, however... It got better, but never made me feel like I couldn't put it down, never made me read hastily in terror, and did not give me a sense of "wow" when I finished the last page. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 12, 2014 |
This is a burtiful book. Oops, typo. I meant : Beautiful. The first book in the series, Life as we knew it is a fascinating book. To be honest, I think you can read the first and second book out of order, but do read the third and fourth book in the series in order. Hahaha.

This book starts off with a 17 year old teen who is currently working at a pizza place. And you know, The same thing happens in this book as it did in Life as we knew it. And asteroid hits the moon, knocking it out of its normal place/position and a little bit closer to Earth. Then everything changes. Right then and there, they get ready for the changes in the environment. Tsunamis, Earthquakes, a Famine, Volcano Eruptions... He has two younger sisters, Julie and Bri. He has to take care of them while their parents of away. Unfortunately, As it says in the blurb above, both of his parents die in the aftermath of a wave, Therefor leaving Alex, alone to watch out for his siblings. It's hard, actually, for him..for everyone.

This book is completely different compared to Life as we knew it. First, it's a different character and he's in a different place, where everything is basically, different. His "diary entries" aren't that much like diary entries, but Susan has written it like a diary. The PoV is also different, as Life as we knew it is told by a first person point of view of the main character, Miranda, and The Dead and the Gone is told from a third person point of view where we learn about Alex's thoughts and actions in the book.

This book includes ALOT of praying and religious traditions even through the hardships of the moon...being closer to the earth. That's what I love most about this book. I'm surprised how Susan explains a lot about Alex's background, AKA religious background/his culture. Yes, the moon is ending the world, just because it moved closer to the Earth changing the whole environment. And because the moon is ending the world, Alex and his siblings/sisters are putting his faith in God and praying for a better world in a world that's ending sooner or later.

I love how this book is also very easy to compare to real life, because they get sick, they have a famine, there are realistic environmental changes. It's one of the few traits that I love very much that this book has. This story plot is a more harder life to survive in, practically because Alex is only 17 and his parents are gone, and he's put under the responsibility of taking care of his two younger sisters, Julie - 12 and Bri - 14.

This is a very, very hard book to read. By that, I mean, you can easily compare it to reality, which makes it hard to read. You can simply imagine that. An asteroid hitting the moon closer in orbit to the Earth and changing the whole world. It's very simple to imagine, but you may imagine, it's a very hard world to live in, surviving one day at a time.

http://bookablies.blogspot.com/ ( )
  Bookablies | Jan 22, 2014 |
Pfeffer subverts all our expectations of how redemption works in teenage fiction, as Alex learns to live, and have faith, in a world where radical unfairness is the norm.

Susan Beth Pfefferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dean, RobertsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Janet Carlson, Best Buzz Buddy and Cherished Friend
At the moment when life as he had known it changed forever, Alex Morales was behind the counter at Joey's Pizza, slicing a spinach pesto pie into eight roughly equal pieces.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
     With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:55 -0400)

After a meteor hits the moon and sets off a series of horrific climate changes, seventeen-year-old Alex Morales must take care of his sisters alone in the chaos of New York City.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible