Nobody's Prize by Esther Friesner

Nobody's Prize (2008)

by Esther Friesner

This was a cute little sequel to Nobody's Princess, both of which are about Helen of Troy's childhood, back when she was just Princess Helen of Sparta. This story is about how Helen wants an adventure, so she disguises herself as a boy and joins Jason and the argonauts on their quest to find the golden fleece. Also her kidnapping by Theseus...

As in the last book, my favorite part is how the Greek gods and the mythological creatures are "explained"... How all of these so-called "heroes" are really just experts in hyperbole... The hydra was a group of water snakes, for example. Ha!

This story had a lot more... Not romance, but people lusting after other people--from the MAN who has a crush on Helen's male alter-ego, to Helen's friend who is quite obviously (to us, anyway) developing feelings for Helen, to Helen's crush-at-first-sight on a fellow crew member... Those were sources for awkwardly humorous times...!

Overall, while this book was entertaining, I think I liked the first one better. Maybe it was that it felt more chick-powery... *shrugs*. 3.5 stars, I think. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
Plot: 3 1/2 stars
Characters: 3 1/2 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 4 stars
1/2 bonus point for cuteness.
I actually had this in paper as well, but heck if I could find it after the move. Cute book, though I'm a sucker for Greek mythology, so that factored into my enjoyment. Rounding this up to 4 stars, ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
I really like books by Esther! This book is about the next queen of Sparta going on a dangerous voyage thru the unknown sea. She, Helen, has to disguise herself as a boy who is a weapon barrier. But she is not alone. The slave she saves, Milo is coming on this voyage with her. Disguising herself as a boy soon becomes very difficult, because she is turning into a lady. She also has to hide from her two brothers that are on the ship. Being a boy became impossible and so she changed her name and disguise to Atalanta, a legendary Heroin that Helen has became so attached to in the last book. The heroes are after that Golden Fleece and if they capture it Prince Jason will take the crown in Iolkos. Helen has become fond of the only other weapon barrier, besides her and Milo. But sadly he died by sliding of a side of a cliff. Once the boat reached the area the Golden Fleece was kept. Helen ran in to a crazy, obsession princess. She wanted Helen dead because she thought her beloved Prince Jason was in love with her, and tried to have her killed multiply times. Helen and Milo decided, for Helens safety that they leave immediately. Milo found a boat and they were off to Athens, where they would catch a ship to Delphi. Once they were in Athens Helen decides to make an offering to all of the gods. She comes in to some conflict with a guard at Hade’s place. She beat up the guard and then later that night. She was taken from her inn and to the places. Milo was supposedly killed in this conflicted. When the kings saw her, he knew that it was a girl and in fact he knew it was Helen. This price wanted to marry her and so he locked her up. She made many escape attempts, but they all failed. She became friends with the guard that guarded her cell. It was the same guard that she had a conflicted with earlier on. She found out that his father used to be the king and his mother is a slave. He wanted to leave so badly, but did not have enough money for him and his mother to go. Helen and the guard worked out a plan and she escaped his half brother. They went to Mykenae were Helens sister was queen. There she also ran in to her father. Milo was also there. Not the least bit dead. That is what happened in the book Nobodies prize. ( )
  khooper | Oct 15, 2010 |
Young Helen of Sparta (not yet "of Troy") disguises herself as a boy and joins Jason and his Argonauts on the quest for the Golden Fleece. Someone who's more interested in Greek myths would probably like this more than I did. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jun 13, 2009 |
I really enjoyed this sequel extending Helen of Troy's adventures that involve the quest to find the golden fleece, fending off an intolerable suitor, and overcoming the loss of more than one good friend. Overall, an enjoyable read with lots of adventure. ( )
  knielsen83 | Mar 5, 2009 |
This book is dedicated to

Erica Christine Sullivan

Strength, style, and true beauty
Part I, Iolkos: I stood in the bow of the little fishing boat and gazed at the glittering city high on the bluff ahead.

In this rousing sequel to Nobody’s Princess, young Helen of Sparta is not about to be left behind when her older brothers head off to join the quest for the Golden Fleece. Accompanied by her friend Milo, and disguised as a boy herself, Helen sets out to join the crew of heroes aboard the massive ship known as The Argo.

Helen quickly faces all sorts of danger. There are battles to be fought, as well as an encounter with a terrifying murderous princess. With her beauty blossoming, Helen’s journey takes her beyond the mythology of the Golden Fleece to Athens, where her very future as Queen of Sparta is threatened.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:17 -0400)

Still longing for adventure, Princess Helen of Sparta maintains her disguise as a boy to join her unsuspecting brothers as part of the crew of the Argo, the ship commanded by Prince Jason in his quest for the Golden Fleece.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,337,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible