The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E.…

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

by Mary E. Pearson

English (237)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (241)
"Jenna Fox wakes from a year-long coma following a devastating accident, her memory a blank. One day she cant walk; the next she can. One day her right eyelid droops; the next it doesnt. Her parents call her recovery a miracle but at what cost has it come? What are they hiding from her? And why does her grandmother, Lily, hate her so? When the memories do come, theyre more than anyone bargained for, and as Jenna struggles to work out who she is, and what exactly makes us who we are, one thing becomes very clear: Jenna Fox is no ordinary teenage girl."--Provided by publisher.

A fascinating topic but never really engaged my interest or emotions. ( )
  lrobe190 | Jul 16, 2014 |
There are a couple of interesting ideas being explored in this novel. The title alludes to the pressures that come to bear on a child who is the focus of such intense scrutiny and expectation. The other more obvious idea is the one of bioethics and what makes someone human. The audience discovers Jenna's unique situation as she discovers it and there don't seem to be any easy solutions to the issues that are raised for Jenna personally. The epilogue lets us see that in the end there were solutions, but not really how Jenna got there. Very thought-provoking. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 3, 2014 |
Like most seventeen-year-olds, Jenna Fox is still trying to figure out who she is. Only she probably has more existential questions to deal with than most teenagers, because Jenna has just woken up from a year spent in a coma following a horrific car accident that nearly killed her, and she can't remember anything at all about her past or who she was. She has to rely on a bunch of videotapes recorded over the years by her parents to see for herself what she was like growing up, and she's not sure she can continue being the perfect and adored child she seemed to have been for the first 16 years of her life. Her grandmother Lilly seems to mistrust, even dislike her, though Jenna has no idea what she's done to deserve this cold reserve. Day by day, she begins to recover memories from her past, including some memories which she shouldn't have, such as when she was baptized when only a few months old. She's curious to know why they are now living in California when her and her parents had spent all their lives previous to a few weeks ago living in Boston, where her father is still working. Little by little, she recovers her memory, but still things don't seem to add up, and she isn't quite sure there is a connection between the Jenna before the accident, and the one who has woken up a year later. There's very little else I can say about this book without revealing a major spoiler.

A very well written story with an intriguing premise and and intelligent development which is suitable for young and old adults alike. It's a short novel to begin with, but I created lots of listening time and finished it in just two days because I was dying to know how things unfolded. Jenna Lamia, who narrates the audio version, is a great narrator and is convincing as a teenager with her girlish voice and the maturity she brings to the reading of a complex character. This is book is part 1 of a trilogy, but it's great as a stand-alone too. Definitely recommended. ( )
1 vote Smiler69 | May 11, 2014 |
Good idea, poor execution. ( )
  JordanCorinne | Apr 2, 2014 |
This was book was so much more than I thought it was going to be. I think the cover art (I have the puzzle piece-face cover) and the blurb deterred me. I had seen this book around for what felt like years, and I finally picked it up, since I loved The Miles Between. The struggle that Jenna faced with finding out who she really was, and if she was really that girl, was very well done. The sci-fi aspects and the potential ethical problems discussed in the story didn't feel forced or cheesy, they felt like problems that humans could really face some day, and that we will all have opinions about. I don't know how I feel about the ending, with there being a lot of remade humans, because that just sounds like a ticket to over-population (even more than the world already is). ( )
  bladechik99 | Feb 28, 2014 |
For my wonderful husband, Dennis,

and my precious children, Jessica, Karen, and Ben
I used to be someone.
Everyone wants to restore everything. Old is in demand.
One restoration is not that different from another, she says. Fixing me and fixing Cotswald are her new careers.

Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions — questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

In this fascinating novel, acclaimed author Mary E. Pearson presents an unforgettable look at one human life and a glimpse into a possible future that may be closer than we think.

In the not-too-distant future, when biotechnological advances have made synthetic bodies and brains possible but illegal, a seventeen-year-old girl, recovering from a serious accident and suffering from memory lapses, learns a startling secret about her existence.… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible