The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E.…

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

by Mary E. Pearson

Recently added bynancymyers, olegalCA, nmellendorf, gabbiechang, private library, kateminasian, nicholsm

English (241)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (245)
A little more like science fiction than I was expecting. I also couldn't muster up any sympathy for any of the characters. Still, it had nothing to do with vampires or werewolves, which is a nice change in the young adult genre. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Interesting story, with a little bit of science fiction. However, the writing is too full of fluff from an overly wordy author, and I never ended up caring much about the main character. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I really liked this book and agree with one or the blurbed reviews that this is a "refreshing twist on the cliche teen fiction"(very paraphrased). Without revealing too much, I liked how the sci fi was really well incorporated into the book. Like most of the other is if books I like, this one is rather philosophical and goes into what it means to have a soul, what is the part of you that is you, and overall when society is misguided in how much they think should be regulated. In a good way, I though this book was a little repetitive as Jenna confronts her parents over and over(also, while there isn't a good synonym for it, Pearson uses the word biochip a lot throughout). It's interspersed with very poetic vignettes of sorts which I like(it reminds me of grapes of wrath just shorter) and the light darkening of that page helps set it apart nicely. Overall a very good read although it seemed to stand on its own not as the start of a trilogy and has a very interesting epilogue. I read a review of the later books and it's narrator and I'm already sad that Jenna will not continue to give her interesting and poignant take on life ( )
  Lorem | Sep 18, 2014 |
Oh this book. Ms. Pearson is the kind of author that I have to be careful with- her books suck me in almost immediately and I cannot, will not resurface until I've finished. And even then, I need space to think and reflect and process everything I'm feeling. In her books, I can easily lose mysef for an entire day, or entire night, or both.

She really lets you in her characters' heads and hearts. Oh my gosh, the horror of realizing what you really ARE. Though I saw it coming, I was still shocked and filled with despair for Jenna. I loved the way that, because of extra neurons or maybe from learning how to communicate from scratch, she learned to see and read minute facial expressions. I felt that her struggles with her identity- was she really this person everyone was telling her she was? old jenna vs. new jenna and who did she want to be?- were really well done. And her mixed feelings with the computers in the closet were understandable. Jenna's questions about what was missing from her new body, her new life I thought were spot on. How does someone transplant a soul? What percentage of humanity keeps it intact? I can't imagine what it would be like to feel soulless. I certainly feel so much more appreciative of my humanity, fleeting youth, flaws and all.

I felt that the supporting characters were a little less complex; the parents have kind of become all consumed by their one purpose to save their daughter. I didn't really understant Allys' point of view. I mean I can see how she got to her conclusion, but I can't understand how she looks at it so black and white; pushing the boundaries are how medical advances are made, which she benefited from with her prosthetics. I was completely surprised by Ethan's response when she told him the truth. He just seemed to accept her completely, no struggles, no conflicts. Everything but 10% of her brain is a robot. None of it's real. But he's totally fine with that. And takes up her cause. Mmmm I wasn't so sure about that.

Mr. Bender surprised me. I feel like I need to go back and reread that with new attention. Same with Dane. I wasn't sure what to make of him throughout the whole story. I kept expecting to find out that he was illegal too. Or at least what happened to rob him of his humanity. I unexpectedly found the answer i nthe attached Q&A with the author in the back of the book. She mentioned all the research she had to do for this book, including research on sociopaths.

I was glad for Jenna's choices but a little disappointed that we didn't unravel more of her friends.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who needs their world shaken up a little bit. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
For my wonderful husband, Dennis,

and my precious children, Jessica, Karen, and Ben
I used to be someone.
Everyone wants to restore everything. Old is in demand.
One restoration is not that different from another, she says. Fixing me and fixing Cotswald are her new careers.

Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions — questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

In this fascinating novel, acclaimed author Mary E. Pearson presents an unforgettable look at one human life and a glimpse into a possible future that may be closer than we think.

In the not-too-distant future, when biotechnological advances have made synthetic bodies and brains possible but illegal, a seventeen-year-old girl, recovering from a serious accident and suffering from memory lapses, learns a startling secret about her existence.… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible