The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E.…

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

by Mary E. Pearson

Recently added bygabsy4127, joyfulgirl, MidnightFae, private library, HCKLibrary, Mirandalg14

English (238)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (242)
Oh this book. Ms. Pearson is the kind of author that I have to be careful with- her books suck me in almost immediately and I cannot, will not resurface until I've finished. And even then, I need space to think and reflect and process everything I'm feeling. In her books, I can easily lose mysef for an entire day, or entire night, or both.

She really lets you in her characters' heads and hearts. Oh my gosh, the horror of realizing what you really ARE. Though I saw it coming, I was still shocked and filled with despair for Jenna. I loved the way that, because of extra neurons or maybe from learning how to communicate from scratch, she learned to see and read minute facial expressions. I felt that her struggles with her identity- was she really this person everyone was telling her she was? old jenna vs. new jenna and who did she want to be?- were really well done. And her mixed feelings with the computers in the closet were understandable. Jenna's questions about what was missing from her new body, her new life I thought were spot on. How does someone transplant a soul? What percentage of humanity keeps it intact? I can't imagine what it would be like to feel soulless. I certainly feel so much more appreciative of my humanity, fleeting youth, flaws and all.

I felt that the supporting characters were a little less complex; the parents have kind of become all consumed by their one purpose to save their daughter. I didn't really understant Allys' point of view. I mean I can see how she got to her conclusion, but I can't understand how she looks at it so black and white; pushing the boundaries are how medical advances are made, which she benefited from with her prosthetics. I was completely surprised by Ethan's response when she told him the truth. He just seemed to accept her completely, no struggles, no conflicts. Everything but 10% of her brain is a robot. None of it's real. But he's totally fine with that. And takes up her cause. Mmmm I wasn't so sure about that.

Mr. Bender surprised me. I feel like I need to go back and reread that with new attention. Same with Dane. I wasn't sure what to make of him throughout the whole story. I kept expecting to find out that he was illegal too. Or at least what happened to rob him of his humanity. I unexpectedly found the answer i nthe attached Q&A with the author in the back of the book. She mentioned all the research she had to do for this book, including research on sociopaths.

I was glad for Jenna's choices but a little disappointed that we didn't unravel more of her friends.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who needs their world shaken up a little bit. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
"Jenna Fox wakes from a year-long coma following a devastating accident, her memory a blank. One day she cant walk; the next she can. One day her right eyelid droops; the next it doesnt. Her parents call her recovery a miracle but at what cost has it come? What are they hiding from her? And why does her grandmother, Lily, hate her so? When the memories do come, theyre more than anyone bargained for, and as Jenna struggles to work out who she is, and what exactly makes us who we are, one thing becomes very clear: Jenna Fox is no ordinary teenage girl."--Provided by publisher.

A fascinating topic but never really engaged my interest or emotions. ( )
  lrobe190 | Jul 16, 2014 |
There are a couple of interesting ideas being explored in this novel. The title alludes to the pressures that come to bear on a child who is the focus of such intense scrutiny and expectation. The other more obvious idea is the one of bioethics and what makes someone human. The audience discovers Jenna's unique situation as she discovers it and there don't seem to be any easy solutions to the issues that are raised for Jenna personally. The epilogue lets us see that in the end there were solutions, but not really how Jenna got there. Very thought-provoking. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 3, 2014 |
Like most seventeen-year-olds, Jenna Fox is still trying to figure out who she is. Only she probably has more existential questions to deal with than most teenagers, because Jenna has just woken up from a year spent in a coma following a horrific car accident that nearly killed her, and she can't remember anything at all about her past or who she was. She has to rely on a bunch of videotapes recorded over the years by her parents to see for herself what she was like growing up, and she's not sure she can continue being the perfect and adored child she seemed to have been for the first 16 years of her life. Her grandmother Lilly seems to mistrust, even dislike her, though Jenna has no idea what she's done to deserve this cold reserve. Day by day, she begins to recover memories from her past, including some memories which she shouldn't have, such as when she was baptized when only a few months old. She's curious to know why they are now living in California when her and her parents had spent all their lives previous to a few weeks ago living in Boston, where her father is still working. Little by little, she recovers her memory, but still things don't seem to add up, and she isn't quite sure there is a connection between the Jenna before the accident, and the one who has woken up a year later. There's very little else I can say about this book without revealing a major spoiler.

A very well written story with an intriguing premise and and intelligent development which is suitable for young and old adults alike. It's a short novel to begin with, but I created lots of listening time and finished it in just two days because I was dying to know how things unfolded. Jenna Lamia, who narrates the audio version, is a great narrator and is convincing as a teenager with her girlish voice and the maturity she brings to the reading of a complex character. This is book is part 1 of a trilogy, but it's great as a stand-alone too. Definitely recommended. ( )
1 vote Smiler69 | May 11, 2014 |
Good idea, poor execution. ( )
  JordanCorinne | Apr 2, 2014 |
For my wonderful husband, Dennis,

and my precious children, Jessica, Karen, and Ben
I used to be someone.
Everyone wants to restore everything. Old is in demand.
One restoration is not that different from another, she says. Fixing me and fixing Cotswald are her new careers.

Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions — questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

In this fascinating novel, acclaimed author Mary E. Pearson presents an unforgettable look at one human life and a glimpse into a possible future that may be closer than we think.

In the not-too-distant future, when biotechnological advances have made synthetic bodies and brains possible but illegal, a seventeen-year-old girl, recovering from a serious accident and suffering from memory lapses, learns a startling secret about her existence.… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible