The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E.…

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

by Mary E. Pearson

English (259)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (263)
I've never been one for dystopian-type novels, but this one sounded interesting. And it was. The premise is fascinating; the ethical questions and story are compelling. The narration is told from Jenna's first-person viewpoint as she awakens from a year-long coma. The story unfolds as she discovers what has happened to her and who she is now.

I can't say that any of these characters are particularly likeable and many of the secondary characters aren't fleshed out well, so I was left wondering about their stories. However, this is one of those books that sort of stays with you. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Brilliant. Book clubs, especially those for young teens, will find plenty to discuss here:

Would you do that? What if you were in her shoes? Why did he make that choice? Was that ethical? Should this be legal? Is there any other way they could have handled that? Who did you most empathize with? Did the epilogue reveal what you expected, or was it a surprise? *How* did the author mess with your feelings, and with your expectations? Which details of this near future do you anticipate becoming reality, and which do you think are too fantastic? Which do you look forward to, and which do you dread? And, bottom line, what does it mean to be human?

I know I'm torn - I don't have solid answers to any of those questions.

I also agree with Cherylann that this reminded me of [b:Eva|631169|Eva|Peter Dickinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328397920s/631169.jpg|1964961] by [a:Peter Dickinson|5345|Peter Dickinson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1292282037p2/5345.jpg]. And now that she mentions it, yes, [b:The House of the Scorpion|13376|The House of the Scorpion (Matteo Alacran, #1)|Nancy Farmer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1401734230s/13376.jpg|868252] by [a:Nancy Farmer|8360|Nancy Farmer|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1207168030p2/8360.jpg]. Iow, if you liked any of the three, you'll probably like this, too. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson This is a fascinating book about a 17 year old girl that wakes up from a year long coma without any memories of who she is. As the story unfolds she begins to question who she is now versus who she was for some very interesting reasons. Great discussion book! ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
Genre: Sci-Fi. This is a science fiction book because they basically remake Jenna after her accident.
Media: None
Uses: This is too advanced for the grades I would want to teach so I don't know how I would use it in a classroom. But I did really enjoy reading it!
  ShayleeHutchison | Apr 14, 2016 |
I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, and this one is built on a sci-fi premise, but there is so much more here. This book asks so many questions about ethics, mans effect on the world around him, what makes a person who he or she is. I would rate this closer to a 4 than a 3 but not a 4 because of some nagging issues that were left unresolved. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
For my wonderful husband, Dennis,

and my precious children, Jessica, Karen, and Ben
I used to be someone.
Everyone wants to restore everything. Old is in demand.
One restoration is not that different from another, she says. Fixing me and fixing Cotswald are her new careers.

Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions — questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

In this fascinating novel, acclaimed author Mary E. Pearson presents an unforgettable look at one human life and a glimpse into a possible future that may be closer than we think.

In the not-too-distant future, when biotechnological advances have made synthetic bodies and brains possible but illegal, a seventeen-year-old girl, recovering from a serious accident and suffering from memory lapses, learns a startling secret about her existence.… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,424,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible