The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E.…

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

by Mary E. Pearson

English (246)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (250)
A little more like science fiction than I was expecting. I also couldn't muster up any sympathy for any of the characters. Still, it had nothing to do with vampires or werewolves, which is a nice change in the young adult genre. ( )
  olegalCA | Nov 24, 2015 |
What an interesting concept! The Adoration of Jenna Fox takes place in the undisclosed future, where biochemical/genetic engineering is rampant, and medical advances have progressed to the point of being harmful. Jenna Fox awakens after being in a coma for over a year, with no recollection of who she is or what happened. Initially secluded from the rest of the world, she struggles to find out the truth as she deals with overprotective and secretive parents and a grandma who wants nothing to do with her.

Although it becomes clear early on what happened (being inside of Jenna's head, we decipher the unknown with her), The Adoration of Jenna Fox is an enticing read which causes you to question how far we should go medically to save one's life. It also shows how much a parent is willing to do in the name of love; but, at the same time, it causes one to ponder whether or not that love is selfless, or if it is contingent on what their child can do for them. They "save" Jenna only to seem to want her to be the perfect "puppet" she was before, performing all the tricks and completing all the tasks they set out, regardless if it makes her happy.

While I questioned some of the characters introduced (I have no idea why Dane is present), I like the development of others: Lily (her Nana) and Mr. Bender particularly. Jenna herself, I loved. She raises so many of the same questions I would have, if I were in her place. And she doesn't sit back and accept all that her parents tell her. She seeks out answers on her own and is conflicted with much of what she finds. I think, what she struggles with the most and what is the heart of the novel, is the question of what makes us human. It is her search for this answer that really drives her search for the truth.
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Very thought provoking book.

Doubly liked it because I've been in the area where the story takes place. Visited the Mission San Luis Rey earlier this year too. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Golden Kite Award for Fiction (2009), South Carolina Book Award Nominee for Young Adult Book Award (2010), Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis Nominee for Jugendbuch (2010), Iowa High School Book Award Nominee (2011)
  Liz_Haggerty | Jul 28, 2015 |
Winner of over 30 Awards/Nominations, including 2008 Horn Book Award, Kirkus Best Young Adult Books of 2008, 2009 Westchester Fiction Award, 2010 International Reading Association Young Adult Choice Book, 2011 Evergreen Young Adult Book Award, and 2011 Sequoyah Book Awards Master list. This book would be a great addition to the very popular Modern Fantasy section in our library collection. Other books in this series include The Rotten Beast, The Fox Inheritance, and Fox Forever.
  CindyMcClain | Jul 9, 2015 |
For my wonderful husband, Dennis,

and my precious children, Jessica, Karen, and Ben
I used to be someone.
Everyone wants to restore everything. Old is in demand.
One restoration is not that different from another, she says. Fixing me and fixing Cotswald are her new careers.

Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions — questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?

In this fascinating novel, acclaimed author Mary E. Pearson presents an unforgettable look at one human life and a glimpse into a possible future that may be closer than we think.

In the not-too-distant future, when biotechnological advances have made synthetic bodies and brains possible but illegal, a seventeen-year-old girl, recovering from a serious accident and suffering from memory lapses, learns a startling secret about her existence.… (more)

Mary E. Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible