Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks

Black Rabbit Summer (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Kevin Brooks

When two of sixteen-year-old Pete's childhood classmates disappear from a carnival the same night, he is a suspect, but his own investigation implicates other old friends he was with that evening--and a tough, knife-wielding enemy determined to keep him quiet.
Member:othersam
Title:Black Rabbit Summer
Authors:Kevin Brooks
Info:Puffin Books (2008), Hardcover, 448 pages

Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks (2008)

English (16)  French (1)  All languages (17)
this book was crazy. lol, CRAZY. i loved it and could not get enough of it but, it was straight up crazy. it not a bad book and i love how Kevin Brooks took it all the way. he's really good at bringing the characters to life inside your head and giving beautiful discriptions on different characters, scenes and, events that happen in the story. i like this book and how it seemed so real. if you read this book or any other of his book you would no what i mean. ( )
  6138 | May 4, 2016 |
If this and Skins are any indication, the United Kingdom is producing a generation of wastrels. Now that that's out of the way, this story did hold my interest. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Although I count Kevin Brooks among my favorite YA authors, he hasn't really bowled me over since Lucas. The Road of the Dead came close, and certainly redeemed the disaster that was Candy. But it wasn't until reading this book that I felt reassured that Mr. Brooks has returned to the top of his game. Quirky outsider characters navigate through a shroud of suspense that never quite seems to burn away in the morning light. This is fast-paced storytelling that doesn't skip over the details, but keeps you greedily turning the pages until you cheerfully resign yourself to knowing you'll need that extra cup of coffee the next morning. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
Okay so at first the plot was really annoying and so predictable. Teens + Local Fair + Drugs = Disaster. Well After all there is gay people and drama. Dead things and people. Tarot cards. Future Missing Guy. A kidnap. And we all realize that People care the most about famous people. Not about nobodies. The end comes much to quick but it is really fun to read. ( )
  puffvick | Oct 12, 2009 |
Reviewed by Angie Fisher for TeensReadToo.com

It's a rite of passage from adolescence to adulthood, leaving old friends behind for a future beckoning with invitations of bigger and better things to come. There is a reason we outgrow friendships. Sometimes things are better left behind.

Peter wasn't even thinking when he got the phone call; after all, it was summer. If he would have been, he'd have stuck with Raymond and let the others go on without them without looking back. As it was, nostalgia got the better of him, and he agreed to meet one last time in the den, their former home-away-from-home, but only if Raymond could come, too. Besides, he and Nicole had more than just a past, didn't they?

Five former friends, some booze, and a combination of drugs (some by choice, some not), add up to one night of confusion, chaos, and death. What follows in classic Brooks fashion is a mystery that continues to weave into itself more intricately rather than toward a resolution. Oh yes, certain issues are resolved involving who murdered whom along the way, but it's hard to say when we find those details out that it even matters. Who we end up caring most about is not the rich, fake, do-anything-to-be-famous Stella, but the odd, loner Raymond who talks to his black rabbit. Oh yeah, and it talks back to him.

Brooks is extraordinary at pulling us into his characters, leading us ever so slowly to answers, and then leaving much, though not all, left unsaid. If you are looking for a perfect ending, he's probably not your man. If you are looking to be challenged as a reader and not spoon-fed all the answers? Here's yet another of his works where you won't walk away being disappointed. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |
The summer of this story started for me on a hot Thursday night at the end of July, just as the sun was beginning to go down.
"I don't know how long a moment lasts - a second, half a second...a millionth of a second - and I don't know how the timelessness of a moment can invade your mind and turn itself into an everlasting memory...but I know I'll never forget what I saw in that room."
The star is going out...not stars. The star.

Stella means star.

And then Stella puts her mouth to his ear and whispers, "Never in a million years."

Pauly Gilpin. Dead

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,169,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible