Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb

Fool's Fate (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Robin Hobb (Author), Stephen Youll (Cover artist), Jamie S. Warren Youll (Cover designer)

Member:antqueen
Title:Fool's Fate
Authors:Robin Hobb (Author)
Other authors:Stephen Youll (Cover artist), Jamie S. Warren Youll (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Bantam Books, 2004, c2004. 914p.
Collections:Your library, Physical books, Individual books
Rating:****1/2
Tags:six duchies, 09, tawny man, fantasy, human-animal link, secret identity, dragons, sea travel, ice, psi, political, male protagonist, v.f, fiction, f:2000s, paperback, us author, more, ~mc, acquired 2011, read 2013, 13 in 13

Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb (2003)

English (24)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

This review refers to the whole Tawny Man Trilogy:

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite fantasy authors because her stories are unique and complex and she's a great writer. Her prose is pleasant and she is particularly good at characterization; When you get finished with her books, you feel like her characters are your friends and you hate to say goodbye! Her plots are absorbing and they move forward at a pleasant pace.

Fitz of The Farseer Saga is one of my favorite fantasy heroes. He is so well characterized — I felt a lot of empathy for his situation. I was really upset when the first trilogy ended (things weren't so great for Fitz), but then I found out that his story continues in The Tawny Man Trilogy. I think that was one of the happiest days of my life. I was filled with hope for Fitz. I immediately sent my husband to the bookstore with a picture of the book and told him not to come home without it. I was happy with the way Fitz's story ended. It wasn't one of those rush, rush, and they lived happily ever after endings. It was a bit sad; it seemed realistic. It was wonderfully done. These are books that I’ll definitely read again!

Read more Robin Hobb book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
The last book in the Farseer Trilogy - far too much of child marriage and teen pregnancies for my taste. Otherwise, quite alright, without being really thrilling.

3/5 ( )
  PiyushC | Jul 7, 2013 |
A lovely ending to the series -- and, after everything, a happy one. The way she ties everything in and brings the story to a close is good without being a cop-out happy ever after, and it's nice to leave Fitz in -- finally -- a good place.

Of course, to get that you have to read all the way through the book, which can be quite heartbreaking. Wonderful writing and wonderful, fully realised characters, as ever. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Hmm, what to say about this book?
On the one hand, it's great in style and plot as the previous ones are, though it was rather predictable.
On the other hand, it nearly lost a star (and most certainly lost my 'favorite' status) because I absolutely did not agree with the ending. But despite it all, I guess, it was a "good enough" ending.

I think the description I'm looking for is "slightly disappointing". ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |
Overall the story is quite good. It explores quite a few deeper issues by having Fitz be introspective, examines the value of a variety of relationships, delves into intrigue and deceit, and even brings in some of my favorite characters from the earlier books. If you are a fan of sci-fi/fantasy and you haven't had a chance to, I suggest you check out the Tawny Man trilogy and the Assassin Series by Robin Hobb. ( )
  finalcut | Apr 2, 2013 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jewell, LaurieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pi.
The White Prophet's premise seems simple.
-- Prologue
Sometimes it seems unfair that events so old can reach forward through the years, sinking claws into one's life and twisting all that follows it.
-- Chapter One

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553582461, Mass Market Paperback)

Fool's Fate is the third book of Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy, and the ninth and concluding volume of the Fitzchivalry Farseer saga, one of the best high-fantasy series of the turn of the millennium. Fitz is the bastard son of the royal family of the Six Duchies, which he serves as assassin, guardsman, and Skill-magician. Fitz also serves the White Prophet as "Catalyst," the unique person who may enable the White Prophet to change human destiny for the better. In Fool's Fate, Fitz must accompany his kinsman, Prince Dutiful Farseer, to a distant northern island, where the prince must slay the world's last male dragon to win the hand of the Out Islands princess Elliania, the woman he loves. However, not even Elliania wants the dragon dead; why, then, does she require Dutiful to kill Icefyre? Are darker forces manipulating Elliania? Even worse, if Icefyre dies, the White Prophet foresees not only his own death, but a grim future for humankind. The prophet's only hope of changing the future is his Catalyst. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:31 -0400)

On a mission to the Outislands to destroy the dragon Icefyre, who has been frozen in a glacier for millennia, Prince Dutiful and his Skillmaster FitzChivalry match wits with the Fool, an enemy determined to free the dragon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible