After the Kiss by Suzanne Enoch

After the Kiss

by Suzanne Enoch (Author)

Recently added byKaavya89, atcolorado, private library, emp_lib, KSabourin, ChristinaRegina, Azacia, CCleveland

I really need to read more Suzanne Enoch. She's got a huge backlist, writes the kind of witty historical romances that I love and yet I've only read two of her books.

I enjoyed Sullivan and Isabel, both as a couple and as individual characters. I loved that Isabel has a supportive and loving family. So often in romances the heroine doesn't have that and they are on their own in a world that was hostile towards women without that support. She started out a little bossy and annoying for me but you soon become aware of the fear that that attitude is hiding. Sullivan is easier to like right from the beginning but he has the bad family and sympathetic backstory.

Overall a solid, enjoyable romance with likable characters, a real conflict to keep them apart, and friends who are sequel bait without seeming extraneous. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Thoroughly enjoyable regency. Though the ending is too convenient, I like that it critically explores the ridiculousness of social caste and its sexy and fun. It is hard to do both. Kudos Ms. Enoch. ( )
  Narshkite | Oct 13, 2013 |
Sullivan Waring is an unacknowledged by blow of an aristocratic father and former office in the calvary. Now he is a respected horse bredder and thief. He spends his nights breaking into houses and reclaiming the paintings his mother left after her death that should have been his inheritance. It is during one of these break ins that he runs into Lady Isabel Chalsey. After being throughly kissed by the bulgar, Isabel can not bring herself to turn him in even when she recognizes Sullivan the next day. Determined to find out why Sullivan is committing the thieves she blackmails him into breaking in a horse for her and teaching her how to ride. As Sullivan takes more and more risks his actions put Isabel's reputation in danger and he has to decide what is more important to him--revenge or the growing passion he shares with Isabel. ( )
  mlorio | Apr 17, 2011 |
Could not stand "Tibby's" snobbish personality. The storyline was unbelievable and boring. A definite no go as far as I was concerned. Sorry I wasted my time. ( )
  itsamekatrina | Oct 21, 2008 |
What a delightful Regency historical Suzanne Enoch has provided with "After the Kiss". This is the first story in her new trilogy 'The Notorious Gentlemen' which, according to her blog, will tell the tales of three friends who somehow end up on the wrong side of the law after returning from the Peninsula War (1808-1814). First up is Sullivan Waring, the 'natural child' of a peer, yet unacknowledged.

Sullivan is a successful horse breeder/trainer and has only turned to theivery to recover his mother's paintings which were unjustly taken from him while he was fighting on the Peninsula. His life and nighttime exploits are going well...until he steals a kiss in the course of one robbery.

Isabel can't believe the gall of that man. Not only stealing a painting, but a kiss! It's a good thing she grabbed his mask and caught a glimpse of him. But the next day she is stunned to find out that 'her' burglar is none other than famed horse breeder Sullivan. Isabel loves a mystery and uses her knowledge to blackmail Sullivan into training her new horse. Romance and mayhem ensue.

I've been a fan of Suzanne Enoch's books since I picked up my first one in the 1990s. Since then, I've read 'em all and although I enjoy some more than other, none have been 'stinkers'. Her books provide a pleasant escape from this world for a few hours, some sensual sex scenes, and grand HEAs. If you like regencies with a little steam...pick up "After the Kiss".

For a more in-depth review, check out queuemyreview.com ( )
  jjmachshev | Aug 11, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060843098, Mass Market Paperback)

A Notorious Gentleman . . .

Sullivan Waring wants only two things: his rightful inheritance, and revenge against the man who stole it from him. By day, Sullivan is the most respected horse breeder in England; by night, he plunders the ton's most opulent homes to reclaim his late mother's beautiful paintings. His quest is going swimmingly . . . until the night he's discovered by Lady Isabel Chalsey. Clad only in a revealing nightdress, she's an entrancingly different kind of plunder, and how can a thief resist stealing a kiss?

A Curious Lady . . .

Surprised by a masked man in her own home, Isabel should be quaking with fear. Instead the sight of the sinfully handsome Sullivan makes her tremble with excitement. Who is this man, and why is he so set on this reckless pursuit? Lady Isabel loves a challenge, and she'll dare anything to uncover Sullivan's secret—but she may instead convince him that she is the greatest prize of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:46 -0400)

"Sullivan Waring wants only two things: his rightful inheritance, and revenge against the man who stole it from him. By day, Sullivan is the most respected horse breeder in England; by night, he plunders the ton's most opulent homes to reclaim his late mother's beautiful paintings. His quest is going swimmingly ... until the night he's discovered by Lady Isabel Chasley. Clad only in a revealing nightdress, she's an entrancingly different kind of plunder, and how can a thief resist stealing a kiss? Surprised by a masked man in her own home, Isabel should be quaking with fear. Instead the sight of the sinfully handsome Sullivan makes her tremble with excitement. Who is this man and why is he so set on this reckless pursuit? Lady Isabel loves a challenge, and she'll dare anything to uncover Sullivan's secret - but she may instead convince him that she is the greatest prize of all."--Jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible