The Golden Fool II: The Tawny Man by Robin…

The Golden Fool II: The Tawny Man (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Robin Hobb

4,148371,858 (4.22)1 / 97
Taking up residence at Buckkeep as a spy, FitzChivalry Farseer navigates the complex intrigues of the court as he seeks to unravel the secrets of Prince Dutiful's betrothed and sort out his own chaotic personal life.
Member:Falcon124
Title:The Golden Fool II: The Tawny Man
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:Harper Collins (2002), Paperback

Golden Fool by Robin Hobb (2002)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (37)
Dit tweede boek in de derde serie over de Ouderlingen door [a:Robin Hobb|25307|Robin Hobb|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1397885202p2/25307.jpg] legt de fundamenten voor het beslissende derde deel. Het was leuk om een aantal karakters uit de Levende Schepen trilogie hun, tijdelijke, opwachting zien maken in Hertenhorst.

Fitz rouwt in dit boek veel over zijn wolf - nachtogen -, die in het eerste deel stierf. Hij voelt zich eenzaam, en uiteindelijk keert hij terug naar zijn oude wereld in Hertenhorst. Ditmaal echter niet als FitzChevalric, maar als Tom Dassenkop, de bediende en lijfwacht van heer Gouden, wat echter weer een dekmantel is om vrijelijk door het kasteel te lopen.

Fitz leert meer over de Nar. Iets wat hun verhoudingen veranderd. Voor de oplettende lezer was dit allemaal echter geen verrassing. Fitz, en eigenlijk de hele cultuur van de 6 Hertogdommen, is duidelijk anti-homoseksueel ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
I don't know what it is abouth those books but I love them and I even dream of them nearly every night! I know I dreamt about skilling last night... ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
After finishing Robin Hobb’s Golden Fool, my general reaction was that, in the best way possible, I’d been here before.

The second book in Hobb’s Tawny Man trilogy bears more than a passing resemblance to Royal Assassin, the second book in her Farseer trilogy. In each, Fitz juggles multiple responsibilities while trying to face down a variety of potential threats. (In Golden Fool, the threats take the form of Piebald radicals from the previous book, Outislanders who preyed upon the Six Duchies in the first series, and emissaries from Bingtown, which played a key role in an intervening series.) As a result, there’s no clear goal for Fitz to strive for, and no definitive ending—Golden Fool isn’t any more self-contained than Royal Assassin. Both feel like bridge books to the next installments in the series.

The parallels don’t end there. When you step back and compare the larger Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies, you can see similar arcs. In the first books, Fitz enters court life and saves the heir to the throne. In the second books, it’s his turn to be saved, and a grand quest is announced. In the third books (and here I’m making an educated guess based on clues in Golden Fool), that quest is undertaken, and it involves dragons. Even the titles mirror: the Farseer trilogy consists of Assassin’s Apprentice, Royal Assassin, and Assassin’s Quest (with “Assassin” in first, second, and first position); the Tawny Man trilogy consists of Fool’s Errand, Golden Fool, and Fool’s Fate (with the position of “Fool” following the same pattern).

These echoes are probably intentional. In the epilogue to Golden Fool, Fitz says, “I think we are born into our circuits. Like a colt on the end of a training line, we trot in the circular path ordained for us. We go faster, we slow down, we halt on command, and we begin again. And each time we think the circle is something new.” By this point in the story, Fitz is trotting the second lap on a number of circuits. He’s reprised his role as spy and assassin for the Farseer monarchy. He’s taken on the title of Skillmaster and started teaching the magic to gifted students (much as Galen once taught him). He’s raised an adopted son (much as he was raised by Burrich). And he’s sacrificed everything for the good of the realm (much as Verity did during the days of the Red Ship Raiders).

Those are mostly fantastical events. But the theme—that history repeats itself, even within a lifetime—is very real. And it’s one of the things I appreciate most about this meandering, captivating series. I can’t wait to see where it goes next.

Even, and maybe especially, if it feels familiar.

(For more reviews like this one, see www.nickwisseman.com) ( )
  nickwisseman | Apr 14, 2019 |
As with the previous installment of this trilogy, I have enjoyed revisiting The Golden Fool, even though it does suffer a little from some of the problems of being a middle installment (as well as some repetition here and there). It's fairly slow moving and not a huge amount happens, but I loved it anyway because I do like being in Fitz's head.

I also liked the increasing involvement of plots/characters from the Liveship Traders series, as well as the greater focus on Witted people beyond Fitz. Everything is now set up for a magnificent finale! ( )
  mooingzelda | Mar 6, 2019 |
Golden Fool is the second book in the Tawny Man trilogy, the third subseries in the larger Realms of the Elderlings series.

Much like the first time I read it, this trilogy has successfully lured me into spending more time reading each day than I normally would. I’m still not sure exactly why but, as much as I enjoyed the first two trilogies, this is the one that really sucked me in completely both the first time I read it and on this re-read. I’m enjoying the story all over again, partly because I had forgotten a lot of the plot details, although they started coming back to me as I read. I also think I’m getting a stronger picture this time around of just how much this trilogy ties together elements from the previous two and, although I have not yet read the next series, I can anticipate how some of the events in this one will likely tie into it.

And here are my spoiler-filled comments…
I adore Fennel, Jinna’s cat, even though he barely gets any page time. I think he made me laugh more this time around because I could see some of my own cat’s personality in him. I burst out laughing when I got to the section where Fennel was evicted from Fitz’s lap and said, “Imbecile. The cat was comfortable.” My cat gets evicted from my lap fairly often, because his tolerance for sitting in my lap usually outlasts my tolerance for sitting in one place. Now in my head I call myself an imbecile on his behalf every time this happens. ;) I was ambivalent about Jinna, but I wanted more Fennel.

The new characters in this trilogy are fun to read about. Although Hap got on my nerves in this book, I enjoyed seeing Fitz react to Hap’s decisions and look at his own comparable behavior in the first trilogy in a new light. I also really liked Prince Dutiful in this book. He was a bit annoying in the first one, but he starts to mature. Thick is also a fun character, and I enjoyed seeing Fitz attempt to deal with him and seeing Thick become friends with Dutiful. I also enjoyed seeing Fitz reluctantly take on the role of Skillmaster, and seeing Dutiful’s limited coterie slowly form.

I did dread the scene with Jek which leads to the quarrel between Fitz and the Fool and their extended estrangement. That was all as painful as I remembered. On the other hand, knowing already how that would play out in this book left my mind freer to focus on other aspects of the plot better than I probably did the first time around.
1 vote YouKneeK | Nov 22, 2018 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The loss of a bond beast is a difficult event to explain to the non-Witted.
-- Prologue
The Piebalds always claimed only to want freedom from the persecution that has been the lot of the Witted folk of the Six Duchies for generations.
-- Chapter One

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,315,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible