On Writing by Stephen King

On Writing (edition 2002)

by Stephen King

Member:TonkoKordic
Title:On Writing
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:non-fiction, digital

On Writing by Stephen King

English (299)  French (4)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (313)
The memoir part is amazing. King is a ridiculously good writer. I absolutely hated the writing tips part. I think it may have to do with hating self help books, but while I read it I couldn't help but feel he just wanted to get paid for telling how he came up with the ideas for his books. The gist of it is, he came up with his ideas because he's creative. And he is, there is no denying that.

There are no actual writing tips in the book, nor should their be really. Either you are a savant and can write a story without any help, or you learn by doing and get better with each book. There is no great secret to writing that you can impart with a book on writing. It's either you were born with knowing how to impart a story in an entertaining way or you learn how to do it. That's it.

I do hope one day King writes a memoir because it'll easily be the best memoir ever written. ( )
  scifi_jon | Jun 16, 2015 |
Back in college, I took two creative writing courses. I even had it in my mind to get a Minor in Writing. I mean, I loved doing it. I was excited to be able to meet other aspiring writers, maybe get some tidbits, and make some cool new friends. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Every week we sat in seminar circles critiquing each person's writing. "Wow, I really liked the way you narrated your story." "I liked the plot twist at the end." "I didn't relate to the character at all." "This was good." "This was bad." To sum it all up, all I got were vague comments, and stares from pretentious people who all thought their work was better than mine. And, looking back, the same probably goes for me. Suffice to say, I eventually changed my minor after six months of pointless lollygagging. The classmates with the lukewarm smiles and uninviting handshakes didn't make me hesitate, either. But of course, I didn't stop writing...I just did it on my own, for fun.

I'm pretty damn sure that there are classes or workshops out there that really work for people. You just gotta know what works for your personality, and for your wallet. And if you want a cheap, quick, yet inspiring alternative, then this is the book. Whether you're an aspiring writer, or simply want to understand the basic writing process for one writer, then look no further. Stephen King explains to those that face the daunting task of writing a few quick tips. Look at it as his resume.

He actually starts out with his CV, a semi-memoir, of his life growing up and some of the significant events that led to who he is today. Even if you don't care about the craft of writing, this section is an interesting journey into his past. Some back story, if you will.

Then he moves on to toolbox section, which is probably, at least for me, the most important part for everyone to read. How often do we come across bad writing? This part at least will give everyone, even those that don't plan to become the next Charles Dickens or J. K. Rowling, some fundamental tools. And of course judging writing is subjective, but that still doesn't hide the errors that everyone makes.

Afterward, he delves into the core of the book, which is all about writing. And out of all the advice that one person could give, I'm sure there's at least one that almost everyone should be able to agree upon: read a lot, and write a lot. You just can't get around that.

The last part talks about his well-publicized accident; well-publicized as in I didn't really know much about what happened until I read about it in this book.

Overall, a really good and quick read. Thus, it'll allow you more time to read other books and get cracking on that novel you've been putting off for over a year. Happy writing!
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This was a really insightful book from one of the masters of writing. Its honestly written and provides the reader with an inside look at how King gets his words and thoughts on paper. This is definitely a book that I'll return to over and over again, particularly after reading some of Kings novels over again! ( )
  ChiefBrody | May 29, 2015 |
I read this when it first came out. At the time I had written the opening of my own novel and had got it as good as I could. I went through it and applied the rules King gives and good heavens, it was improved. ( )
  Lukerik | May 17, 2015 |
Like his books or not, reading this just made me want to up my game so much more. The man speaks truth and it was really interesting finding out how he got his start as a writer.

A must read for anyone who writes or is interested in putting word to page. I'm not a fan of King's books and this didn't change that. That's not the point. His story fascinated me and to ignore the advice of a man who's been cranking out books for decades is plain old stupid. On Writing will stay on my keeper shelf for a good many years to come. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juti, RikuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knudsen, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743455967, Mass Market Paperback)

Short and snappy as it is, Stephen King's On Writing really contains two books: a fondly sardonic autobiography and a tough-love lesson for aspiring novelists. The memoir is terrific stuff, a vivid description of how a writer grew out of a misbehaving kid. You're right there with the young author as he's tormented by poison ivy, gas-passing babysitters, uptight schoolmarms, and a laundry job nastier than Jack London's. It's a ripping yarn that casts a sharp light on his fiction. This was a child who dug Yvette Vickers from Attack of the Giant Leeches, not Sandra Dee. "I wanted monsters that ate whole cities, radioactive corpses that came out of the ocean and ate surfers, and girls in black bras who looked like trailer trash." But massive reading on all literary levels was a craving just as crucial, and soon King was the published author of "I Was a Teen-Age Graverobber." As a young adult raising a family in a trailer, King started a story inspired by his stint as a janitor cleaning a high-school girls locker room. He crumpled it up, but his writer wife retrieved it from the trash, and using her advice about the girl milieu and his own memories of two reviled teenage classmates who died young, he came up with Carrie. King gives us lots of revelations about his life and work. The kidnapper character in Misery, the mind-possessing monsters in The Tommyknockers, and the haunting of the blocked writer in The Shining symbolized his cocaine and booze addiction (overcome thanks to his wife's intervention, which he describes). "There's one novel, Cujo, that I barely remember writing."

King also evokes his college days and his recovery from the van crash that nearly killed him, but the focus is always on what it all means to the craft. He gives you a whole writer's "tool kit": a reading list, writing assignments, a corrected story, and nuts-and-bolts advice on dollars and cents, plot and character, the basic building block of the paragraph, and literary models. He shows what you can learn from H.P. Lovecraft's arcane vocabulary, Hemingway's leanness, Grisham's authenticity, Richard Dooling's artful obscenity, Jonathan Kellerman's sentence fragments. He explains why Hart's War is a great story marred by a tin ear for dialogue, and how Elmore Leonard's Be Cool could be the antidote.

King isn't just a writer, he's a true teacher. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Stephen King writes about his life as a writer and how his ability to write saved him after a horrifying accident that almost took his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,502,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible