On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen…

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:fakelvis
Title:On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Authors:Stephen King
Info:New English Library (2001), Paperback, 384 pages

On Writing by Stephen King

English (341)  French (4)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  All (359)
I've only read one Steven King book before, and I didn't like it much. This one got me excited to read more of his stuff and motivated me to do more writing of my own. I particularly enjoyed the parts about his life. There's some decent advice on the craft and career of writing too. ( )
  DanCopulsky | May 5, 2017 |
I've read this book, but I enjoy it more listening to it. Mr. King reads the book himself for the cd and is absolutely amazing. It is his story and only he can tell it the way it's meant to be told.

The first half of the book is about Mr. King's beginnings as a writer, kind of an autobiography but not about his entire life, just the writing and what made him a writer. It's so interesting. You can see how he can create such great child characters - he's still really in touch with his years of being a kid. He talks about his wife and how she's been the best support of his writing.

It's absolutely fascinating. He's very honest and open about his life as a writer and the affects of that on his life, or the affects of his life on his writing.

The second half of the book is about writing, how you can do it and what makes someone a good writer. At the end he very honestly discloses the events of his car accident. He even says what we're all thinking at that point in the story - that his accident seemed to be right out of one of his novels.

If you're a fan of King, pick up this book. If you enjoy writing, pick up this book. But don't read the book - listen to it on CD. You're going to get so much more out of it from listening to a master story teller telling his own story. It's like having a conversation with King himself. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Stephen King's On Writing shines as both an affecting memoir of his career as an author, and a collection of inspiring advice (indeed a very useful toolkit) on the art of writing. King, a master storyteller, here shows a deft hand for non-fiction too, with a well-crafted book that will satisfy equally the ardent fans of his novels and the aspiring writers. ( )
  ghr4 | Mar 6, 2017 |
I read this as a reader, not a writer, but came away feeling all inspired to give writing a try. I'll have to see if that desire pans out to anything. As well as a different way to think about the craft of writing, I also enjoyed the introspection into his own life and experiences. I'm not a fan of everything he's written (I want the hours I spent on Beneath the Dome back for one) but some of his books are among my absolute favorites and bits of others have stuck with me through the years (the ending of Pet Semetary for one) and it was really interesting to get a glimpse of how he sees his own process. ( )
  duchessjlh | Mar 5, 2017 |
I don't have much to compare to (thus uncertainty on whether to give it 4 or 5 stars--as if I had any idea), but I thought it was good. There were a number of points I hadn't considered that, when I'd done so, showed wide means/opportunity for improvement in my beginner's attempt at writing. (e.g. to put emphasis on people and situations even in the midst of an ambitious, overaching plot)

On an overall/practical level, it's worth noting that about half the book is basically just a narrative of Stephen King's life (mostly the earlier days). It's interesting and fun to read, but you could actually skip the first many pages, before he comes to laying out his writing approach and suggestions.

Hmmm. ( )

Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743455967, Mass Market Paperback)

Short and snappy as it is, Stephen King's On Writing really contains two books: a fondly sardonic autobiography and a tough-love lesson for aspiring novelists. The memoir is terrific stuff, a vivid description of how a writer grew out of a misbehaving kid. You're right there with the young author as he's tormented by poison ivy, gas-passing babysitters, uptight schoolmarms, and a laundry job nastier than Jack London's. It's a ripping yarn that casts a sharp light on his fiction. This was a child who dug Yvette Vickers from Attack of the Giant Leeches, not Sandra Dee. "I wanted monsters that ate whole cities, radioactive corpses that came out of the ocean and ate surfers, and girls in black bras who looked like trailer trash." But massive reading on all literary levels was a craving just as crucial, and soon King was the published author of "I Was a Teen-Age Graverobber." As a young adult raising a family in a trailer, King started a story inspired by his stint as a janitor cleaning a high-school girls locker room. He crumpled it up, but his writer wife retrieved it from the trash, and using her advice about the girl milieu and his own memories of two reviled teenage classmates who died young, he came up with Carrie. King gives us lots of revelations about his life and work. The kidnapper character in Misery, the mind-possessing monsters in The Tommyknockers, and the haunting of the blocked writer in The Shining symbolized his cocaine and booze addiction (overcome thanks to his wife's intervention, which he describes). "There's one novel, Cujo, that I barely remember writing."

King also evokes his college days and his recovery from the van crash that nearly killed him, but the focus is always on what it all means to the craft. He gives you a whole writer's "tool kit": a reading list, writing assignments, a corrected story, and nuts-and-bolts advice on dollars and cents, plot and character, the basic building block of the paragraph, and literary models. He shows what you can learn from H.P. Lovecraft's arcane vocabulary, Hemingway's leanness, Grisham's authenticity, Richard Dooling's artful obscenity, Jonathan Kellerman's sentence fragments. He explains why Hart's War is a great story marred by a tin ear for dialogue, and how Elmore Leonard's Be Cool could be the antidote.

King isn't just a writer, he's a true teacher. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Stephen King writes about his life as a writer and how his ability to write saved him after a horrifying accident that almost took his life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible