On Writing by Stephen King

On Writing (edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:barringer
Title:On Writing
Authors:Stephen King
Info:New English Library (2001), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:eBook, On Audible, On Kindle, Your library
Tags:home

On Writing by Stephen King

Recently added bygcomfort, sandrikoti, ChrisRiesbeck, fkhicdawgybe, Hazubo, LSS312, ylew, private library
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (321)  French (4)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (335)
A book on writing could easily be a complete bore. Fortunately, Stephen King's "On Writing" was certainly not that. It was a great read for anyone who has interest in the writing life.

"On Writing" is not a pure guide for writing. Rather, it is part memoir and part guide. The first section shows the reader how King became the celebrated author that he is today, which gives insight to aspiring writers by showing his early struggles to get published and "make it" as an author. The second (and more lengthy) section of the book gives helpful advice to writers. The topics range from imagining plot lines to enlisting the help of a few trusted friends to critique and revise the finished product.

If you're in need of a glance into the life of an author who has put some serious time and energy into his or her craft, look no further than Stephen King's "On Writing." ( )
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
Muy informativo y alentador.
Anima mucho a intentarlo, a seguir tus instintos y ver lo que consigues.
Eso si tambien explica claramente que escribir es un trabajo que requiere muchisima dedicacion y esfuerzo.
Muy realista, creo que muy honesto. No he leido ninguna otra cosa de King pero como persona me ha agradado mucho. ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
This is my favourite Stephen King book, whatever that might mean. I like reading/reading about the creative process, just like I like watching dvd commentaries. ( )
  mummimamma | Apr 20, 2016 |
I don't know why it's taken me nearly 15 years to read this. Probably because I'm not a huge Stephen King fan as I don't much like horror or sci-Fi as genres. However, what I love about his novels is his creation of character and the way he writes about small town communities slowly falling apart (see especially 'Under the Dome'). So, what did I learn from this book? Mostly, just how much Stephen King and I have in common.
We are the same age, we're both called Stephen, we were both teachers, we both write fiction and we were both hit by cars within the same two months in 1999 and had a near death experience (King walking on a rural road in the USA, me riding a bike in West London. We both survived to walk and write again.
As for his advice on writing, I agree with almost all of it and I hope I put it into practice as both a writer and teacher.
Sadly, the big difference between us is that he sells millions of his novels and I sell very few of mine. Still, maybe in the future............ ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juti, RikuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knudsen, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743455967, Mass Market Paperback)

Short and snappy as it is, Stephen King's On Writing really contains two books: a fondly sardonic autobiography and a tough-love lesson for aspiring novelists. The memoir is terrific stuff, a vivid description of how a writer grew out of a misbehaving kid. You're right there with the young author as he's tormented by poison ivy, gas-passing babysitters, uptight schoolmarms, and a laundry job nastier than Jack London's. It's a ripping yarn that casts a sharp light on his fiction. This was a child who dug Yvette Vickers from Attack of the Giant Leeches, not Sandra Dee. "I wanted monsters that ate whole cities, radioactive corpses that came out of the ocean and ate surfers, and girls in black bras who looked like trailer trash." But massive reading on all literary levels was a craving just as crucial, and soon King was the published author of "I Was a Teen-Age Graverobber." As a young adult raising a family in a trailer, King started a story inspired by his stint as a janitor cleaning a high-school girls locker room. He crumpled it up, but his writer wife retrieved it from the trash, and using her advice about the girl milieu and his own memories of two reviled teenage classmates who died young, he came up with Carrie. King gives us lots of revelations about his life and work. The kidnapper character in Misery, the mind-possessing monsters in The Tommyknockers, and the haunting of the blocked writer in The Shining symbolized his cocaine and booze addiction (overcome thanks to his wife's intervention, which he describes). "There's one novel, Cujo, that I barely remember writing."

King also evokes his college days and his recovery from the van crash that nearly killed him, but the focus is always on what it all means to the craft. He gives you a whole writer's "tool kit": a reading list, writing assignments, a corrected story, and nuts-and-bolts advice on dollars and cents, plot and character, the basic building block of the paragraph, and literary models. He shows what you can learn from H.P. Lovecraft's arcane vocabulary, Hemingway's leanness, Grisham's authenticity, Richard Dooling's artful obscenity, Jonathan Kellerman's sentence fragments. He explains why Hart's War is a great story marred by a tin ear for dialogue, and how Elmore Leonard's Be Cool could be the antidote.

King isn't just a writer, he's a true teacher. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Stephen King writes about his life as a writer and how his ability to write saved him after a horrifying accident that almost took his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible