On Writing by Stephen King

On Writing (edition 2002)

by Stephen King

Title:On Writing
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

On Writing by Stephen King

English (329)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (345)
I actually struggled to get through this book. I was hoping for something to motivate me to get back into my writing and while it did do that in a sense, actually getting through this book before it was due back to the library was a hassle. I guess because it didn't really keep me hooked. Interested, but not terribly so. Probably just a mood I'm in on top of the exhaustion going on right now. There's good information in here, some things you've heard before and other that you might not have heard before. I learned more about publishing and agents then I knew. Recommended if you are a beginner writer hoping to publish something someday. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 2, 2016 |
The first 100 pages or so are about his life. My favorite story is his reaction to the amount of money he received for the paperback rights to "Carrie"! So awesome! The second part is about writing, and I found it to be pretty dry. I only perked up when he mentioned some of his stories, like the time he wrote part of "Misery" on the desk that Rudyard Kipling died at! And the third part is about the van that almost killed him, hard to read, yet interesting. Overall, this is probably a "must read" for King fans like me, but it isn't terribly revealing or exciting. But definitely enough nuggets, like the two I mentioned, to make it worth your time! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 18, 2016 |
Masterful. "On Writing" is the best book on the subject I have encountered. It's written in a conversational tone and broken up into digestible parts featuring both biography and writing wisdom. The portion at the end where he pulls back the curtain and shows you an unedited draft followed by his revisions is particularly illuminating. ( )
  ZambeziJql | Sep 17, 2016 |
A personal, in-depth look into the craft of writing, by one of the most prolific fiction authors of the day. It was entertaining and hilarious, as well as interesting. I felt like I knew him a lot better by the time he got around to the writing part. I won’t quote the dozens of brilliant snippets to be gleaned from “On Writing,” instead I encourage you to pick it up at your local library or click on the buy link right now and read for yourself. You won’t regret it. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
A classic. One of my top 5 books on craft. Feels like you're sitting, having a conversation about writing with him. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juti, RikuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knudsen, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743455967, Mass Market Paperback)

Short and snappy as it is, Stephen King's On Writing really contains two books: a fondly sardonic autobiography and a tough-love lesson for aspiring novelists. The memoir is terrific stuff, a vivid description of how a writer grew out of a misbehaving kid. You're right there with the young author as he's tormented by poison ivy, gas-passing babysitters, uptight schoolmarms, and a laundry job nastier than Jack London's. It's a ripping yarn that casts a sharp light on his fiction. This was a child who dug Yvette Vickers from Attack of the Giant Leeches, not Sandra Dee. "I wanted monsters that ate whole cities, radioactive corpses that came out of the ocean and ate surfers, and girls in black bras who looked like trailer trash." But massive reading on all literary levels was a craving just as crucial, and soon King was the published author of "I Was a Teen-Age Graverobber." As a young adult raising a family in a trailer, King started a story inspired by his stint as a janitor cleaning a high-school girls locker room. He crumpled it up, but his writer wife retrieved it from the trash, and using her advice about the girl milieu and his own memories of two reviled teenage classmates who died young, he came up with Carrie. King gives us lots of revelations about his life and work. The kidnapper character in Misery, the mind-possessing monsters in The Tommyknockers, and the haunting of the blocked writer in The Shining symbolized his cocaine and booze addiction (overcome thanks to his wife's intervention, which he describes). "There's one novel, Cujo, that I barely remember writing."

King also evokes his college days and his recovery from the van crash that nearly killed him, but the focus is always on what it all means to the craft. He gives you a whole writer's "tool kit": a reading list, writing assignments, a corrected story, and nuts-and-bolts advice on dollars and cents, plot and character, the basic building block of the paragraph, and literary models. He shows what you can learn from H.P. Lovecraft's arcane vocabulary, Hemingway's leanness, Grisham's authenticity, Richard Dooling's artful obscenity, Jonathan Kellerman's sentence fragments. He explains why Hart's War is a great story marred by a tin ear for dialogue, and how Elmore Leonard's Be Cool could be the antidote.

King isn't just a writer, he's a true teacher. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Stephen King writes about his life as a writer and how his ability to write saved him after a horrifying accident that almost took his life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,800,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible