On Writing by Stephen King

On Writing (edition 2002)

by Stephen King

Member:lauramh
Title:On Writing
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King

English (288)  French (3)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (301)
This was an intersting read for me. I learned things about Stephen King I was unaware of. I learned that he is one of the better writers for a reason...because he works at it.

One of the best pieces of advice he gives in "On Writing" is to "Write with the door closed. Rewrite with it open." I find this to be true as someone who is working on several Works in Progress. I had heard about Mr. King's accident, but must say, I was unaware of just how severely he had been hurt.

On Writing is not the very best book on writing out there, but it is one of the best books, written by a writer that gives you some straight forward suggestions, and tells you to make up your own mind.

If you're a writer, you really should add this to your collection of Print books. ( )
  Sirsangel | Jan 17, 2015 |
The writing advice isn't all that the hype led me to believe, but then I'm going on 42 now so I've heard pretty much all of this before. As an aid for beginners he's done a great job of covering essential topics without overdoing it. It was reassuring at least to discover how in-synch I am with his infinitely more experienced perspective and I only disagreed on a couple of points. I'm not sure it's a great idea to leave all thinking about theme until the 2nd draft, but he probably does this as a consequence of not using an outline. Which is the other major point where I differ, but he acknowledges many writers prefer an outlining approach.

Other aspects were entertaining - the memoir portions, his freely expressed opinions about other authors, his chastising of anyone writing in order to chase a buck. In place of a full autobiography this is a good overview of at least Stephen King's early years, and the insight into his development is illuminating. These portions added a pesonal note that demonstrated where his advice was coming from. There was also some great insight into the thought process behind some (not all) of his novels up to 1999/2000, but beware of spoilers here (especially The Stand, which he pretty much outlines in full.) Concerning his novel Cujo: you know you've got talent when you can write a respectable bestseller without remembering a thing about having done so. ( )
  Cecrow | Jan 14, 2015 |
I found this book to be brilliant. It's a very interesting mix of autobiography and general writing advice which is useful to anybody wanting to write.

There's a lot of good 'behind the curtain' type stuff, which for a new author like me is invaluable. It's not a really a how to book, although the best books about writing shouldn't be anyway (in my opinion). Plus, at long last it's a book about writing by someone who is actually more than qualified to write about it!

And this isn't just gushing praise from a Stephen King fan by the way - I do find some of his books incredible, but others I literally haven't been able to finish.

I'd definitely recommend this book for fans of Stephen King, but also for any aspiring writers. Whatever your views of Stephen King, he's undoubtedly one of the world's most popular and successful writers, so to anyone interested in a career in writing, I think this book is essential.

1 vote AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
An excellent book on the craft of writing. The added 'plus' is the first section memoir, parts of which had tears rolling...funny! ( )
  junebedell | Jan 2, 2015 |
I really loved this book especially the part about writing. The chapter about publishing is out of date, but otherwise a valuable read. Thanks for sharing Stephan.
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juti, RikuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knudsen, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743455967, Mass Market Paperback)

Short and snappy as it is, Stephen King's On Writing really contains two books: a fondly sardonic autobiography and a tough-love lesson for aspiring novelists. The memoir is terrific stuff, a vivid description of how a writer grew out of a misbehaving kid. You're right there with the young author as he's tormented by poison ivy, gas-passing babysitters, uptight schoolmarms, and a laundry job nastier than Jack London's. It's a ripping yarn that casts a sharp light on his fiction. This was a child who dug Yvette Vickers from Attack of the Giant Leeches, not Sandra Dee. "I wanted monsters that ate whole cities, radioactive corpses that came out of the ocean and ate surfers, and girls in black bras who looked like trailer trash." But massive reading on all literary levels was a craving just as crucial, and soon King was the published author of "I Was a Teen-Age Graverobber." As a young adult raising a family in a trailer, King started a story inspired by his stint as a janitor cleaning a high-school girls locker room. He crumpled it up, but his writer wife retrieved it from the trash, and using her advice about the girl milieu and his own memories of two reviled teenage classmates who died young, he came up with Carrie. King gives us lots of revelations about his life and work. The kidnapper character in Misery, the mind-possessing monsters in The Tommyknockers, and the haunting of the blocked writer in The Shining symbolized his cocaine and booze addiction (overcome thanks to his wife's intervention, which he describes). "There's one novel, Cujo, that I barely remember writing."

King also evokes his college days and his recovery from the van crash that nearly killed him, but the focus is always on what it all means to the craft. He gives you a whole writer's "tool kit": a reading list, writing assignments, a corrected story, and nuts-and-bolts advice on dollars and cents, plot and character, the basic building block of the paragraph, and literary models. He shows what you can learn from H.P. Lovecraft's arcane vocabulary, Hemingway's leanness, Grisham's authenticity, Richard Dooling's artful obscenity, Jonathan Kellerman's sentence fragments. He explains why Hart's War is a great story marred by a tin ear for dialogue, and how Elmore Leonard's Be Cool could be the antidote.

King isn't just a writer, he's a true teacher. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:30 -0400)

Stephen King writes about his life as a writer and how his ability to write saved him after a horrifying accident that almost took his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,076,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible